I think privident street might be radford?

It will already be on a map here.

Due to busy time here no time for preparing map images at mo, Sorry

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

Looking at that map I can see at least 20 old street names were retained in that area when St Ann's was rebuilt even if in a different form (ie Rose CLOSE as opposed to Rose Street) it's same with rest of the estate

• 8 months later...

I'll be scanning the maps during winter when I have time, as the maps are rather large, I'll scan them from the north west to east as seperate pages for my website. I have the ones for deep soft, first workings, deep hard and the developments in the Parkgate seam.

The deep hard seam was well worked and takes in two maps.

When both Cotgrave and Clifton maps are scanned and uploads to my site, I'll post a link from here.

John

Hi John

Did you ever manage to scan the maps of Cotgrave

Cheers Matey

Paul

Not yet Paul, I'm in the process of rebuilding my site from ground up to take in all divisions and areas of the old NCB, major job! I'm putting the templates together for the old East Midlands Division and all seven areas, well six in actual fact, number2 was not designated for anything. Once all the "framework" is done, templates for all the pits complete, all links tested and found to be bug free, I'll start adding material, which will include scanning the Clifton and Cotgrave maps to add. Most of this will be done during the cold winter months, which should be on me in a few more weeks. I spend about a couple of hours a day typing at the moment on the project, an hour or so searching for pit information etc. I'll post here when the site is complete, well near complete and uploaded.

• 7 months later...

clicked the link but nothing there? i'm lookin for maps showing the location of both radford and wollaton pits if there are any?

Wollaton Colliery was off Glaisdale Drive at side of the canal. Radford was between Grasington Road and the railway tracks, just north of Northdown Road.

• 2 months later...

I dont know if this thread is still active.

But do you have a map covering China Street, Bulwell, approx 1961? Hopefully also clearly showing Rufford School

Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of? It's late 50s/early 60s

I assume the school you are referring to is the one very close to China Street

bulwell.jpg

Interesting map, I did not realise the branch to Ilkeston (marked Midland region) had 2 bridges over Hempsall Lane and Bradford St, never seen any photos of those, only the Cinderhill Rd one which I think was where the Bull pub (originally Bull and Butcher mk2) was? in fact after crossing Cinderhill Rd had no idea of it's route, maybe looking at pottery marked on it the later Sellars Wood Rd built on it's route? Map makers tended to leave railway lines on such even after line shut, but this one dismantled in 1955/56 so map around that era?

Thanks so much for this map Cliff. It brought back so many memories of "my Bulwell" and how it used to be. I had even forgotten most of the street names but thanks to you they are all coming flooding back!!

Owdtite...... !englandflag!

Interesting map, I did not realise the branch to Ilkeston (marked Midland region) had 2 bridges over Hempsall Lane and Bradford St, never seen any photos of those, only the Cinderhill Rd one which I think was where the Bull pub (originally Bull and Butcher mk2) was? in fact after crossing Cinderhill Rd had no idea of it's route, maybe looking at pottery marked on it the later Sellars Wood Rd built on it's route?

I've dived into Old Maps again, and found this from the 1930s. I've kept this detailed enough to show the line appears to go under Hempshill Lane and Bradford Street. I don't know the area very well so maybe today you can still see that the line was in some kind of cutting

bulwellrails.jpg

I might be wrong but doubt the railway was in a cutting/bridge under those roads as to get down from this bridge over cinderhill road to do the former in so short a distance would be quite a feat? as I said earlier never saw the area when line was there, maybe some past resident can advise? On that earlier map it looks like just 2 lines running in area between st albans rd and golf course? was not the case of course with a mass of sidings etc with much engineering, cuttings etc, and whilst not quite another "rat hole" a similar dive under the GCR to join with another company lines, anyone any pics of that area

NTGM010465.jpg

I might be wrong but doubt the railway was in a cutting/bridge under those roads as to get down from this bridge over cinderhill road to do the former in so short a distance would be quite a feat?

True. And I've just looked at maps of other dates on the Old Maps site. Every one shows the railway going over Hempshill Lane (like you'd expect). I'll post one of them later. The one I posted earlier (1930s) is the only one which shows the line under the roads; which goes to show that even OS maps can be wrong.

True. And I've just looked at maps of other dates on the Old Maps site. Every one shows the railway going over Hempshill Lane (like you'd expect). I'll post one of them later. The one I posted earlier (1930s) is the only one which shows the line under the roads; which goes to show that even OS maps can be wrong.

Here's the same place from the 1950s. It's now obviously an embankment going over the roads - totally the opposite to what they were showing 20 years earlier. And there's no actual line marked - must've been lifted by then. Only the Midland still has tracks shown.

hemp.jpg

Thanks for that, looks like a couple of other bridges (over farm access footpaths?) between those 2 road ones? also in top left corner a change from embankment to cutting? track lifted 1955/56 so post then, that said am quite certain I saw coal trains coming off the junction back of highbury hospital one dark night when out on push bike around 1959, then again alot of sidings there also? Anyone got a time machine?

Time machines ( unknown to most folk ) were invented in the 70s...the reason we dont know of them today is that no-one would travel forward in time when they realised the cost of stuff.....they would save up all their wages and come forward to now...and could only buy a loaf of bread....so its just not worth it.

these time machines, did they work in reverse? (in basfordspeak "mek it ger backards") would be very handy, go back and buy a gold star or a vincent for about £100, or some hornby trainsets, not take that bend quite as fast! not finish with a girlfriend over 40 years ago and still regret it! but I guess that's just being selfish? however could also be used for humanity reasons? tell Titanic passengers to get a later boat? advise Dresden residents to go away for a few days, shoot Hitler pre 1933? for examples

If time machines existed now they'd solve a lot of problems on this forum. Nobody would need to ask any question about anything - you'd just go there and have a look for yourself. No need to worry about your memory getting bad as you get older, it would all be happening today as you speak. All those things you half remember as a kid would be sorted out straight away.

And the people who work on Picture the Past would all be out of a job :mellow: