• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

Have you got a map showing Mount Pleasant, Carlton before 1960?

There is a book available from The City Information Shop on Smithy Row entitiled "Turning Back the Pages in Old Carlton" (ISBN 978-0-902751-6).Published by Nottinghamshire County Council.

Inside the front cover is a map dated1914 and inside the back cover a map dated 1955 both have Mount Pleasant on them.

I also have a map of the area dated July 1952 in my collection.

Being somewhat on the large size page size 19"x22" map size 15"x15"

Scale 1/1,250 50.688 inches (just over 4 feet) to the mile.(4 maps to one square on the old 1" OS maps)

SK 6141 SW

I could get a copy(£2.50 ish) & bring it over the next time I come to Nottingham

Anyone got any old maps of Gedling floating around? Possibley the queens ave, kings ave & pheonix ave area? It's where I grew up n quite interested to know how long the estates been there/what was there before. Interested in some old photos of netherfield too, from 1800s when it was first coming together if anyone has any of those too as iv got a couple of maps of the area already

Anyone got any old maps of Gedling floating around? Possibley the queens ave, kings ave & pheonix ave area? It's where I grew up

Had a friend down there in the CB days, Phil Cross, lived on Berry Hill Grove,

Last seen early 90s. Wonder if he is still there?

Thats amazing! Thanks, I knew there was cottages at the top, My dad said he used to play in the ruins of them as a kid in the very early 60's

My large scale map clearly shows these their numbers were 24,26&28 there was also another large building at the top called Carlton House..

Had a friend down there in the CB days, Phil Cross, lived on Berry Hill Grove,

Last seen early 90s. Wonder if he is still there?

Im not sure, What house did he live at? i recall most of the people on berry hill as i used to have a couple of friends live on there & we used to play on that street. yano, when it was safe for us kiddies to go out playing & just come home for a wee, food or when the street lights came on. I recall a guy living in the house in the middle of berry hill on the left as you look down, the alley way used to run accross the front of his house to harlow grove. i grew up on queens ave from around 97 - 04 so not sure if hed of lived there when i was there?

You would know him from his CB aerials on the house.

He would have lived there when you were there.

He worked at Gedling Pit, until it closed, then remained

there when he moved to another pit.

He was a black guy, and had a daughter as far as I remember.

The name Cheryl rings a bell, but I could be wrong?

Did he live on the corner of berry hill?? Because im sure there was a black guy who lived on the corner of berry hill, not sure about aerials as it wouldnt of been something i payed much attention to at the age of 7 lol. I think he had a daughter, but i do remember a black guy living on the corner because we lived in the house oposite, i think he moved though before we did, im not sure, you know what .. ill ask mum when i speak to her later & see if she remembers better than i do

No he lived about half way down on the left.

I dont remember any other people on BHG but can say that phil was a Welsh black guy.

He and the the other guy could have been imports from the Welsh coal fields.

John I am sure will give us more info about that,

Spoke to mum earlier, she cant remember a black guy living on berry hill, the person i was thinking of in the corner house was a black woman & partner who had children but much older & used to visit every weekend.

Social networking is a great thing, not just for us youngans, see if hes on facebook, twitter etc & get back intouch? iv recently got back intouch with a few of my school mates including my old art teacher! happy times.

Anyone got any old maps of Gedling floating around? Possibley the queens ave, kings ave & pheonix ave area? It's where I grew up n quite interested to know how long the estates been there/what was there before. Interested in some old photos of netherfield too, from 1800s when it was first coming together if anyone has any of those too as iv got a couple of maps of the area already

#

I have a large scale map of this area too .

It has Wollaton ave,Pheonix,St Mary's & St Michael's Avenues on it .

I have over 200 of these maps covering most areas of Nottingham most are early to mid 1950s some are early i960s

Any chance of posting it up or hosting it and linking me to it? would be interesting to see!

My large scale map clearly shows these their numbers were 24,26&28 there was also another large building at the top called Carlton House..

Carlton House is still there, and very much lived it. The owners told me few days ago they opened the basement as it had been sealed somepoint in the 50's. What they found was amazing! Row among ow of stone pews which would suggest it must of been used as a temporary church at somepoint before any of the churches were built in Carlton. The house was built in the 1720's.

Any chance of posting it up or hosting it and linking me to it? would be interesting to see!

I don't have a working scanner but as the maps are over 15" square It would be non to easy to put on line.

To reduce image in size would loose some detail.

As I have said before I am willing to copy any maps & bring them over when I come to Nottingham(at least twice a month)

Photo copies are about £2.50 each full size 20 x22"( out of copyrite).

Carlton House is still there, and very much lived it. The owners told me few days ago they opened the basement as it had been sealed somepoint in the 50's. What they found was amazing! Row among ow of stone pews which would suggest it must of been used as a temporary church at somepoint before any of the churches were built in Carlton. The house was built in the 1720's.

Are you refering to where parks corner doctors surgery is now? what was one carlton house i believe, before that, many moons before, iv been told the foundations where layed and it was planned to become a church. I miss the old house that they nocked down, could of easily been made into a doctors surgery, just like the one at the bottom of westdale lane.

i think gedling pit estate was built late 40s early 50s i know it was before i was born dad was offered a house up there but mum did not want to move despite we only had two bedrooms and would probebly have got a brand new 4 bed with a bathroom and two inside toilets she would not move and despite haveing me and my younger brother after that we still stayed in that house till i was 12 years old and they pulled the houses down even then she did not wont to go to pit estate or even move at all and we were one of the last families left on the old terrace.once she had moved although she still missed it she wished she had moved into a bigger house with a bath room years before.

carlton house is not one i remember although knew mount plesant not a rd i can remember going up used to go up greenhill rise a lot and southdale drive but carnt ever remember going up mount pleasant funny thing thatas i spent a lot of time with friends who lived in that area of carlton including kat she lived on southdale drive bet she would have remembered it well.