• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

• 8 months later...

I have an Ordnance survey map on linen larger than A1 size of the Lacemarket and Castle circa1860.
Contact me if you need a copy. which I will need to scan. The scale is 1:500.

Cheers

Do you realise how big the 1/500 maps are Fynger?

I have a large collection of them they are 42" x 28" mine are mounted on linen.

Mine are dated 1880 so these maps could be smaller than mine

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I am trying to find a map of the Clifton Village Area c.1958.

It needs to show the OS.67 ref in a field immediately north of the village (now the site of NTU Clifton Campus.

Many thanks in advance if anyone could link a copy..

Slick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cliff - sorry for late reply - been a tad busy....

I have seen this map previously. Just above the school is a small rectangular building that stands alone in the field. I believe this to be the pavilion on the original cricket ground in the village. I also believe that this was known as Turners Field (or one of).

I have seen a map from c.1958 that has Ordnance Survey references marked on it - I believe they were probably relating to the division of land prior to the sale by the Clifton family. This field, was referenced OS.67, and it was a copy of that map that I was trying to obtain.

I have since found it on the online maps web site at £16.00. I guess that is the route I will have to take because they don't appear to have one in the library either.

Kind regards,

Some interesting maps there.

These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now.

One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what type of career we would want to follow after leaving education behind.

My reply was, something to do with maps sir ! Oh you mean a "Cartographer" said the teacher (forgotten his name). Yes I think so???? I replied...

Ok for your homework over the Summer holiday I want you to sketch up a map of Clifton Estate.

All through the Summer I diligently went around all of the roads on my bike and gradually it came together. Hand drawn with all the road names, it was great (I thought so anyway).

The teacher was amazed when I went back in September with it.

In fact he was so amazed he contacted the council and for about a month my map replaced the one on display at the bottom of Farnborough Road.

Unfortunately, I never got it back, I was pretty proud of it myself to be honest.

Never got the opportunity to be a Cartographer in the end, it meant going to Southampton for a while and leaving all of my friends behind.

Looking back it was a silly reason not to go, such is life when you are young.

Smiffy.

• Upvote 4

Cliff....

That's absolutely top drawer - thank you very much.

I guess the rectangle must represent the cricket square rather than the entire ground - it wasn't on the version that I saw previously.

I now have quite a history of the club building up.

Just for completeness - by any chance could you post a copy that includes the "Clifton" title, and let me know what year the map was produced please?

Kind regards

Ok for your homework over the Summer holiday I want you to sketch up a map of Clifton Estate.

All through the Summer I diligently went around all of the roads on my bike and gradually it came together. Hand drawn with all the road names, it was great (I thought so anyway).

In fact he was so amazed he contacted the council and for about a month my map replaced the one on display at the bottom of Farnborough Road.

Where - and when - exactly was that ? We lived at that end of Clifton and I'm trying to remember the location of a map at the bottom end of Farnborough.

Morning Cliff Ton,

As you approach Clifton from the Nottingham direction, on the left was some sort of building catering for blind people.

Just after this was a bus stop, situated immediately before you turn left into Farnborough Road.

The map of Clifton was inside a large metal framed, glass fronted cubicle. Size approx. 4 foot square. I seem to remember that is also had metal tubular legs?

Smiffy

Anyone got any old maps around 1900 to say 1915 of Sneinton,my old dad lived at a house called Riseholme around 1910.Yes he was quite old when I was born.

No sorry but the reason for asking was I do have a photo of the garden and it looks big so thought it might have been a house that stood out from the rest.Sorry to sound snobby

• 1 month later...

This has probably been requested here before now, but does anyone have the OS map of the Nottingham Surburban Railway from Trent Lane to Daybrook ? (circa around 1950)

In reasonable detail so you can make out the street names etc.

It's the kind of thing you could look at on the 'Old Maps' website until they made it unusable.

So if anyone has a decent copy - preferably without all the watermarks etc.

Sure would appreciate it.

I have most of it

The maps are rather large scale(four maps to one square of an 1" O.S. map)

The two missing bits are St Ann's station & Sherwood station all the rest I have including Daybrook station.

I do have a map of the bit where Sherwood sation but after closure.

The whole line take SIXTEEN maps(I have 14 of them)

I have some smaller scale maps with the line on too.

P.S. I have most of the city in that scale (have about 6 maps missing for the period you are interested in)

Victoria station is on two maps the meadows area take six .

photo copying would cost about £2.50 a map.

This has probably been requested here before now, but does anyone have the OS map of the Nottingham Surburban Railway from Trent Lane to Daybrook ? (circa around 1950)

In reasonable detail so you can make out the street names etc.

Not exactly OS, but this will provide what you are looking for. http://maps.nls.uk/index.html

Here's an example (and they're zoomable)

eg.jpg

A map of the NSR will cover several pages, but the detail does go down to street names etc. It might take you a few minutes to find your way around. PM me if you get stuck.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that link, Cliff Ton....I'm going to be spending a fair time browsing through that one. Seems 100% better than Old maps!