EileenH#13 and OrphanAnnie#19

It is amazing how just a couple of words or phrases trigger long forgotten memories.

The only reason I went to Sunday school was to go on the outing and it was nearly always Wicksteed Park and yes I remember those giant mountain slides and swings OH&S would be going looney today. The boating lake and little train was always a must do and then tea from the Pavillion.

We used to make the journey in a Bedford OB single decker bus and for the life of me I don't remember why but recall the sign inside Coachwork by Duple?

• Upvote 3

#18 Trev remember the big greenies and big bluies. Seemed everybody was after them.

Yes remember them well,heres one for you I left Les Prestons on the bus one night and did not remember till got to W/boro RD next day,lucky still was on bus end of shift so had to go to lost and found and pay to get it back,they had a fee(so they told me) of 10% of the value but put them down as misc so I think I paid 2 bob.Anyone else know about these fees.

P.S. it was the leather type...

Just thought why did,nt I pay the fine in bus tokens? Anyone else get bus tokens from work,sometimes gave them to a conductor for half value,gee we were rogues.........

Thinking about old buses,does anyone remember the one Peoples College had.think it was blue and had the separate drivers cab on it.Cicra 1962/63 I was in a group who made 3 or 4 canoes at the College and then we joined the main group of students and took them to the River Durance in the south of France,they went on the top of the bus but we had to put them inside the bus on the ferry to save charges (they were a 2 man canoe)Such a wonderful time boys and girls in tents on the French Riviera......

• Upvote 1

I don't remember them being called Anniversary seats, but then I lived on Highbury Vale. However, my wife lived in Radford, on Deligne Street, and she remembers them well.

Never heard of that one but it is possible because you needed them for Barton buses etc,walked from Stapleford to Trowel Rd and needed them on those buses back to Nottm...

P.s I was back in Stapleford in July for a couple of days stayed with a friend on Kennedy Drive worked on that estate when it was being built,I walked around as if I was carrying .the tool bag went from Stapleford to Ilkeston and back via the canal it was magic.......

• Upvote 4

I was only 15 and working with Roy out of Beeston, we had missed out on the butchers bikes so Roy decided to walk to Stapleford. Lovely early summers day so he took me cross country if I remember right the job was on Darkey Lane, fit a Cannon Gas Miser.

They were very good days and I was lucky to enjoy them but I was glad when he decided to catch a bus from Stappo back to Nottm.

• Upvote 1

You were a few years in front of me Trev and funnily I left for new fields soon after passing out. I was already courting a lady from Buxton in the High Peak and loved my climbing. I was offered a well paid job at ICI who were just installing some gas fired flat bed lime kilns. I knew bugger all about lime kilns but they wanted me to charge hand the pipework installation.

We rely should apologise for taking over the thread......................Sorry ladies and gents but old affiliations die hard.