Haydn Road School late 40's early 50's

David Swan, now there's a name from the past !  Did you use to work for BT I wonder ? then leave to start to grow spuds on a  Lincolnshire farm ?

That's interesting PP. I was in the ATC at Haywood and Seely school, Perry Road in 1953/54 before the squadron (412) moved to just off Huntingdon Street. Were there two ATC squadrons in Sherwood at the same time?

Doubt if there were 2 squadrons Chulla but  would trust your memory better than mine. I do remember using Hayden Rd to get there  so it would have been the Perry Rd school. Trying to remember the WO's name who I partnered at badminton? My pal Brian Gell introduced me to the ATC. He went on loads of ops but I was denied the chance due to poor eyesight, so I left. Very disappointed at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Chulla, Very nice of you to post the photos. I haven't been back to this site for a while now and just saw your posts. It's well after the time my mom would have been here but I had a keen look at the names.

By the way, I contacted the school and asked if they had any records of my moms from the 1940's and they replied with one piece of paper that they had in a folder which mentions 11 students names and their birth dates. All the birth dates are in the '36 to '37 time period. Also on this paper is their ranking in the class...

Tony Brown

Pauline Owen (my mom)

Tony Parrot

Alan Siddell

Maivis Foster

Gladys Tunneycleffe (sp?)

Shirley Chilton

Donald Bridle

Malids Hill (sp?)

John Chilton

P Hudson

Regards,

Kevin

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I went to Haydn Road Infants and Juniors in September 1953.  I have looked at some of the photos but cannot see me on any of them.  Maybe someone out there remembers me - Judith Coles.  I remember Jennifer Brown, Stephen Riley, Janet Cartwright and a few others.  When I was there Mr Martin was Headmaster and I have to admit I hated his love of swimming.  When I left Haydn Road I went onto Hayward Bilateral School.

I also remember David Ironmonger he was in my class.

I went to Haydn rd school . I must have been there ' 52/ 53 just for a year. We had left Huntingdon st to live on Glendon Drive  Sherwood.  I remember the name Judith Coles from Haywood school where I was there with Barbara Taylor, Valerie Taylor, Ann Krause, Linda Cassidy,  Rosalie Simmons, Brenda Green and if I think a bit more can maybe name some more.

Found it Judi! Well would you believe it Judi and I were next door neighbours. Nice to hear from you and say hello to Avril and George.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I definitely  got the strap from Ken Martin, on the palms, i remember  it was not as bad as i expected so my poor behavior  continued unabated.

However, I attended Seely Primary on Perry rd from 1959 to 1964  not Haydn Rd..  ??

Went on to High Pavement fof further edumacation!

I remember  that "Pop" Martin as we called him lived on Elmwood Gardens somewhere between the ABC theatre and Woodthorpe Park. 

• 1 year later...

Regarding fastfil2004's comment about getting the strap from Mr Martin, I too got the strap on the palms for allegedly throwing snowballs at a lady near Mr Cook's newsagent shop at the junction of Hucknall Road and Haydn Road. Yes, it hurt. Another boy, whose name I cannot remember was also punished for that alleged offence and we were adamant at the time that we were not guilty.

I attended the little school in the old church opposite the junior school from 1949, then moved to "the huts" in the playground of the junior school and finally into the junior school building until moving to High Pavement.

At the infant school I remember playing "What time is it Mr Wolf" in the playground.

In "the huts" I was in Miss Smith's class in the first classroom nearest the boy playground gate. Memories include "Music and Movement" on schools radio, painting (I had no clue about perspective), woodwork (I have a photo of this) and Miss Smith reading to us.

In the junior school I remember Miss Woodward (played piano for assembly), Miss Rosslin(?) who was famed for knuckle-rapping and, at a school assembly, Mr Martin announcing the tragic death in a motor accident of a male teacher who had played a large woodwind instrument for us all at an earlier school assembly.

Anyone remember the long ice slides we had in the boys playground?

Remember boys having to be quiet when going to those awful outside toilets because the children at the nursery school were having their naps on the lawn? 

I apologise if my memory is faulty but I think senior girls were recruited to make tea for the staff in the staff room whereas senior boys were recruited to be milk monitors.

Names that I remember are: Angela Cree, Angela Pheasant, Nigel Knowles, Peter Payne, xxx Williamson, Robin Stalvies(?), Sidney xxx,

• Like 3

Welcome Mr King. I didn't go to Haydn Road School but your excellent post brought back a few memories for me.

45 minutes ago, MrKing said:

At the infant school I remember playing "What time is it Mr Wolf" in the playground.

Memories include "Music and Movement" on schools radio, 

As well as playing 'Mr Wolf' in the playground, we also played on the streets where we lived.........and I'd forgotten about Music & Movement on the radio but now you've mentioned it I definitely remember.

Welcome, Mr King. I too remember Music and Movement in the school hall.  Let's have more of your memories, please.

Mention of Glendon Drive, further back in the thread, reminded me of a girl in my class at Manning who lived there. Her name was Caroline Moore. I went to the house a couple of times but can't remember the number. Some of those houses were designated accommodation for prison officers and their families. Caroline's father worked at HMP Nottingham on Perry Road but he was transferred, I think to Glen Parva, so the family left the area and lucky Caroline left Manning after only a year!

Jill i lived on Glendon Drive and our 2 houses ( semis) were consigned to police officers. My dad was in the police force. Unfortunately i dont recall Caroline Moore. Maybe the HMP houses were further down the road. Our was the first semi after the previosly built houses.