Never Have But Would Love To.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice experience, Col. Paris is the foreign city I have visited most, and would never get tired of it. I have traipsed just about everywhere from top to bottom. Our first visit was after we had been ma

Like Terence, I would have loved to learn the piano. About twenty years ago I was cleared after a cancer scare and I decided to do two things, to learn the piano and learn to swim. I bought a piano a

Never been naughty but would love to !!!!

Not a cat in hells chance!

• Upvote 1

Always fancied doing up a BSA DBD34 Gold Star and taking it over Route 66 in the US of A. Our American cousins would have loved that.

But I suppose if I was that bothered I'd have done it.

Did lots of caving in the 70s/early 80s but never quite had the courage to tackle massive vertical drops like Vulcan Pot. Silly really because above about 30 feet if you fall you're dead., so WTF?

I think I'm a half decent singer. Wish I'd had the guts to get up and do it. I'm on record singing one verse of 'The Boys Are Back In Town' on a charity CD. Also sang in folk clubs way back. Even Mrs Col thinks I can sing a bit. Should've done it..

Main wish though is not to regret anything too much. We all go through life making decisions on the basis of incomplete info. We can only make best guesses as to the outcome of our decisions.

Just live.. !!

Col

• Upvote 3

#1 Ian. Surprised that an international jet-setter like you has never been to Paris. Everyone should go to Paris, especially on a nice warm sunny day. Walk down the plane tree-lined boulevards and stop at a pavement cafe for glass of beer and a fromage sandwich, and with the gentle whiff of a Gitane watch the world go by. Unforgettable experience.

• Upvote 2

The last time I visited Paris airport there was a bomb scare and it took five hours before we were given the "All clear".

Re # 38, Ian , have you not thought of taking the wife, or do you not consider her a lady. LOL

Paris, Blackpool..... It doesn't matter where you are as long as you're with the right person !

Last time I was in Blackpool I was 7. 60 years ago and despite living only half an hour away from the place for 40+ years that's how it's gonna stay!

Last time I was in Paris was 1967. Four of us hitch hiked to France in pairs. We were just going to hitch down the National 7 to the Med and then along into Spain. Easy.... Not! I went with John Parker from Cantrell Rd area. The idea was that the four of us would meet up at pre-arranged places like the Eiffel Tower or whatever at 09:00, 12:00 or 18:00. It was never going to work and from the moment we set off we never met up until we all arrived exhausted and filthy by the swings on Bulwell Common two weeks later.

No mobiles back then and we didn't even have home phones for passing messages.

When we first arrived in Calais it bounced down with rain for about 2 days. Eventually got to Paris and were wandering about Mont Martre and the Moulin Rouge area with two English guys who'd been in Spain and had nothing but their return tickets from the Gare Du Nord to Dover. We all decided to try to sleep in the Gare Du Nord waiting room but the Gendarmes came in and started hitting us with their sticks! Me and John just left. The other guys protested and showed their tickets but still got thrown out. The Gandarmes didn't bother the others, French, German, Swiss etc., who were all over the place, even making beds up out of chairs etc. Must have been the long hair..

John and I found our way up to Sacre Coeur and met a load of French 'beats' on the terracing below the Basilica who advised us that the police wouldn't bother them, but would chase us if they saw us. So we got our bedrolls out and slept in the wooded bit alongside the wall next to the Funicular Railway. (Dunno if that's still there..)

It was so steep we had to sleep up against tree trunks to prevent sliding downhill. Next morning though, the view out over Paris was stunning. I'll never forget it.

Hitch hiking in France was hopeless and after a day or so standing pointlessly by the slip road for the 'Autoroute Du Sud' (Sp?) we gave up and went back to England. Got the last ferry over to Dover before they were cancelled for a couple of days due to storms. Interesting trip with people puking all over the ferry, but we just stood on the most forward bit and played 'dodge the wave'. We got some funny looks when we walked into a Berni Inn in Dover. Wasn't til we looked at ourselves properly we realised we were covered in white salt spray.

Went along the South Coast as far as Plymouth and had loads more adventures before getting home. One of the best trips of my life.

Spent much of my hitching time singing this to myself.

R.I.P. John Renbourn.

Col

• Upvote 3

Nice experience, Col. Paris is the foreign city I have visited most, and would never get tired of it. I have traipsed just about everywhere from top to bottom. Our first visit was after we had been married for a year. We went on the Bateau Mouche (huge glass boat) evening meal trip on the Seine - picture below. Cost us 5 pounds each in 1967 - wouldn't like to pay l'addition now. The experience was worth every penny (francs in those days).

Paris%20Bateau%20Mouche_zps5al9pubi.jpg

• Upvote 6

Excellent! You could have sailed past while we were eating our little paper cones of 'Frites' from the kiosk. It's how we knew the guys in front of us in the queue were English. They asked for vinegar, whilst everybody else was smothering them in Mayonnaise. :)

Not done that much of Europe. Enjoyed Barcelona and Nice though.

Col

Paris is one of my favourite cities and when son number 1 was a lawyer there, loved to stay with him in the 16 arrondissement ....

However when he took his wife for a visit to his old haunts last month, dining in the place republique ,it was a different story ...........

• Upvote 2

At least they were safe hippo, that's the main thing.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

Play Piano like hoagy Carmichael,...sing like Dean Martin,...dance like Fred Astair.......play football like Georgie Best,..and Cricket like Gary Sobers...........and to have fed Grapes on a Chaise Lounge to.Audrey Hepburn...........:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1