He was self centred, hypocritical and egotistical .

I spent all that day under Bridlesmith Gate,preparing for two Xmas work parties at the Camelot club,it wasn't until much later when a bar staff member came in to the kitchen for lemons..and told me John had been murdered. At twenty years of age,I was still inexperienced in the world and was taken aback.A couple of Canadian Clubs helped me through, Howard the DJ played Beatles records from his booth.A very sombre night,we closed early,rang the Areba,they told us to come round and get hammered with their staff..Nottm was dead that night..taxi drivers came in and sat with us,Lucky from Fon a car took me home and he played Tammi Terrell for us on his cassette player.."keep eating those chocolate Olivers" John.

I have to assume the negative comments about John Lennon come from younger members of Nottstalgia.

Anyone who grew up with the Beatles was completely gutted that day.

A part of me died when I heard the news.

• Upvote 1

I didn't warm to his political/peace stuff or a lot of his later music that was based on this ideology but when he was part of the Beatles he made a massive impact on me.

• Upvote 2

Yup, when he was writing music with Paul and performing live with the Beatles, pre-Maharishi Yogi, I quite liked him but his political side annoyed me. I detested Yoko Ono as well, what was that all about? I saw them at the Odeon in Nottingham back in the day, the first and last time I went to a gig with my sister.

He was full of bull like this as well:

dWFi6yX.jpg

I think basically he was a smartarse.

If you are a baby boomer it is said that it was one of the three days when you can remember exactly where you were when you heard the news. The other two are :-

The assassination of JFK

When Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon

Where were you when you heard about these momentous events?

#14. Strangely, I can't remember where I was when J L was killed. I remember being vaguely shocked but not particularly upset about it. I liked George Harrison better (before he met the Marahishi - Yogi man)

I remember walking into the Nurses' lounge and seeing the news about JFK on the TV. That really shocked me.

We were on holiday at Chapel in a caravan with my husband, 2 little children and my Mum and Dad in July 1969 when it was the moon landing, which we listened to on a little radio. We went outside and looked up at the moon and my Dad said something like: "They're not really up there - it's a con". (And that was before Capricorn One!) The moon landing made me feel quite tearful because I knew that it was a momentous occasion.

• Upvote 1

I remember seeing a picture of John and that shrivelled up Jap weirdo in the paper and the were in a bed in a hotel suite and the bed was covered in animal furs. The hotel cost about £1,500 per night, and he's prattling on about love your brother and we're all equal and should all share everything. Yes John. All right for some eh.

#14 - I can't remember what I was doing this morning never mind what happened when in history.

The only thing I recall is my grandad almost doing a dance when Kennedy's death was announced. He remembered JFK's dad and said the family were gangsters.

• Upvote 1