Who was your favourite 1950s and 1960s group?

When I first became interested in pop music, the Shadows were at the top of their trade. They remained my favourite band until the advent of groups such as The Who and The Kinks. This was the first EP I ever bought:

SEG8094.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh Yes there were lots of good groups etc - my favourite was Petula Clark

Best wishes

Peter

In the 1950s it was Tommy Steele and Lonnie Donegan, first seen on the Six Five Special. In the 60s: Beatles (seen at the Odeon); the Who (seen at university); the Moody Blues (loved the music and seen in recent years at the NEC); Rolling Stones (Aftermath album is brilliant); the Animals and Manfred Mann. I also liked the Seekers music. A guy called Philip Holmes who ran Kingswood youth club (Lambourne Drive Wollaton) arranged for them to visit the club one Saturday afternoon. They came and talked to us and signed autographs. I still have the autographs. They were such a nice group of people. Also Philip was a great youth leader. When the locals complained about the music at the club then in 1966 he moved the club to a venue in Lenton, the Monty Hind club/centre. That was great and we had as much loud music as we wanted! Happy memories.

• Upvote 2

As I was only born in 1954, the 1950s were before my time but in the early sixties, the Beatles were my first biggest influence. Followed by The Animals, Manfred Mann, The Who, The Stones, The Kinks, The Hollies, Four Tops, The Supremes. From the age of about thirteen I was listening to John Mayall.... blimey there was so much great stuff, where do you stop...

• Upvote 2

Bilborough Shirley #5 said ".... (Aftermath album is brilliant)..." and I fully agree. I have a copy of the original LP in my box and still play it occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Yardbirds, Pretty Things, Downliners Sect and Spooky Tooth

There were so many who had a particular song that I liked, but The Everley Bros, Manfred Mann and the Hollies always did it for me..............

• Upvote 2

The 50s are before my time, and the 60s were dominated for me by Dylan, the Beatles and Stones; you were either a Beatles or Stones fan, and Dylan was considered 'alternative'. My interest is from the 70s - James Taylor, The Band, Joan Armatrading, Byrds, Canned Heat, and Doors, with Motown ever present in the background. Having said that, I now buy the odd 60s compilation, and have started to appreciate Billy Fury, Johnny Kidd, and Joe Brown. It's funny how your tastes change; I now find myself singing along to Abba!

Saw her a couple of times backed by The Nice. Great.

Interestingly NME has the following top 10 hits of the sixties

10 - Heard it through the grapevine - Marvin Gaye

9 - Like a rolling stone - Bob Dylan

8 - Suspicious minds - Elvis Presley

7 - Sympathy for the devil - Rolling Stones

6 - I'm waiting for the man - Velvet Underground

5 - Leader of the pack - Shangri-La's

4 - All along the watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

3 - Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

2 - Be my baby - Ronettes

1 - A day in the life - Beatles

For the full 100 check out www.nme.com and look for lists

Hippo girl #17 said ".....and who can ever forget 1969 Stones in the Park ?" Well, I never will. Why? Because I went to see them and arrived one day too late. I had my dates mixed up! What a prize plonker I was!

• Upvote 2

Hi Compo,

The summer of 69 !!!!! What a time to be young..

I was a student waitressing in Torquay, living in a garage with the Peckham massive...!!!!!

I had to take time off to see the stones in the July ( thumbing a lift to London ) and then ending August with the isle of wight .....

Going back to uni at the end of September , Pink floyd were on ...