Buzzing light bulbs

Not sure if this has been a topic before.

Last night I went to turn off my lamp,it made me jump,the whole thing was buzzing and I could feel it all over the lamp.Is this something to do with low energy light bulbs?also a few years ago I could hear a loud buzzing coming from a lightbulb in the light fitting upstairs.Either my hearing has improved or there's a problem with the bulbs.

Are these the small fluorescent low energy bulbs??? If so, could be the built in power suppy causing the buzzing noise. We use the LED type now, brighter and less problems.

Be careful of the CFL, they can catch fire. We noticed a difference in our electric bill changing out standard fluorescent four foot tubes with LED tubes, last months bill reflected the change over. LED tubes are much brighter, last longer, but do require the ballast taking out, not needed and can damage the LEDs.

You can get standard "bulbs" in LED's that are nearly as bright as the incandescent bulbs they replace, they are more expensive, but they will outlast the incandescents by many many years, don't get hot, and save electricity.

Each generation of LEDs show greater improvements. Won't be long before a "100w" equiv LED puts out the same light or more of an old 100W incandescent bulb.

It's the laymans term Mick, when I was 18, I was given a limited authorization so as I could work unsupervised up to a certain voltage underground, 240volts AC. That allowed me to go "lamping up" underground on my own. That's changing burned out lamps around the pit.