Stupid new drinking glasses in pubs.

Just lately I've gone back to drinking Strongbow after a good few years off it, my doctors fault but that's another story. At the weekend me and a few mates went in to Cardiff on the lash and a barmaid in "The Borough" was most put out when I told her:

I don't like this glasspost-6850-0-46559000-1449582301.jpgI want this glass please post-6850-0-92332600-1449582327.jpg

She couldn't understand why so I told her the yuppie glass looks unstable and easy to knock over and I didn't need any excuse to knock drinks over. She didn't want to do it but capitulated in the end when she saw I wasn't for persuasion.

What the hell? Me customer, me want, get on with it like!

• Upvote 1

Broadly agree, though I do like my draught Erdinger in the tall glass when I can get it.

217B-mGTl2L.jpg

The other big offenders are those glasses with the rough bit inside at the bottom which encourages bubbles and makes the beer look all sparkly. It's great for about two minutes until it's made the beer go flat. We always refuse them and demand 'normal' glasses.

Col

The other big offenders are those glasses with the rough bit inside at the bottom which encourages bubbles and makes the beer look all sparkly

It's called a beer widget for some reason.

Works well for cider BTW.

• Upvote 1

Don`t know about new glasses.

But I remember when I worked behind a bar for a while many years ago you had 'Men`s glasses' and 'Ladies` glasses' for beer. I remember going to the landlord on his idle seat in the lounge chatting up the gentry to say there were no ladies` glasses in the Public bar.

He sneered and said, 'You don`t get ladies in the Public Bar.' and his mates all sniggered.

I know. Nothing to do with new glasses but it came to mind. I really despised that landlord. All his staff did, too, and he was robbed blind. (Allegedly)

• Upvote 3

Remember all those exotic electric pumps where a piston moved across a glass cylinder, or a sort of membrane flopped over for each half? And the notices about how the beer was served in oversize glasses to prevent spillage etc? Been looking for pics but can't find any.

Col

Remember all those exotic electric pumps where a piston moved across a glass cylinder

Been looking for pics but can't find any

I remember them well, but can say I only ever remember seeing them anywhere else but Nottingham.

I can't find pics either, they were called metered pumps or taps I think.

• Upvote 1

I hate these fancy top heavy lager glasses. They easily get knocked over and it's a waste of beer.