What's your hobby?

Or a sharp smack in the mouth with a big wet leather gauntlet !

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting back when I was a lad I got a circuit diagram of a crystal set. Managed to scrounge up the parts and built it in an old cigar box. Strung a length of wire outside for an aerial and earthed

Dolls houses are my hobby, had one as a child then just forgot about it 4years ago as a joint mothers day present my children gave me a 5 story Edwardian house. Fell in love again now have 9 houses !

My latest hobby is chief taster, east mid region for Hobgoblin !

I did have a bit of a crystal set when I was about 13/14 age but up to so many things, something had to give. My garden is my passion and de-stresser, but I'll always love steam trains, railway and other transport history as well as buying and selling collectables.

The mention of war surplus shops also brings back memories; I still have a nice ex-RAF brass Morse key I bought at Charles Town, near to the Midland Station, anyone recall them? Also Arkwright St had a couple of similar shops and of course every city and town had surplus shops, I believe Birketts in Lincoln are about the only shop left? Anchor Surplus always used to be a call-in for me until recently but they seemed to have gone away from military surplus.

Whilst on the subject, whilst fiddling with my HAC receiver I managed, as you do, to blow the heater in the valve, a PM2 I think? My dad hauled me along to Bill Redgate's radio shop on Mapperley Plains where Bill has able to find me a replacment valve for a few pennies. Turned out my dad had worked for Bill prior to dad being called-up in 1940. I wonder if anyone recalls Bill's shop?

MB

Always loved electronics, and dabbled a bit but never took it much further, still have my ham licence but sold my last radio last year.

Always visit Anchor sales when back in Nottm. Love anything ex military.

Hobbies nowadays are my two rifles and shooting, I love cycling, but I suppose my main hobby is anything sewing machines.

I have a couple of Singers, older than me, and a Seiko HD upholstery machine instorage, I carry a portable Impco hd canvas machine, I make a few bits and pieces with while on the road, mostly canvas or shade cloth work for RV situations.

Any craft work really, I can knit, crochet, sew, so maybe I should have been born a lady Lol ! I taught all my kids to knit and crochet, when we had a home I made all the curtains and drapes, did some upholstery.

Think it was my gran and mums fault as gran was very craft orientated, she used to make lace work, and mittens and slippers from rabbit skins from my dads rabbit/meat breeding after the war.

Mum was a seamstress so I grew up playing on sewing machines, overlockers etc.

• Upvote 3

Was always into 'science', so as a kid I made bombs, rockets, flares, kites, model aeroplanes and basic electronic stuff. Later I fooled myself that I liked car mech, but really it was simple enough stuff that I had to do because I couldn't afford to pay anybody else.

Now I'm into gardening, hi-fi, music, fungi, walking and figuring out how to do 'life', while it's still an option.

I was out with a mate yesterday.. from when we were DJ ing at the 360 Club 40 years ago. We love to say 'We did it and we still can'.. but we also have to accept that we're getting old.

Not sure what the right approach is. Always come back to this:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and

lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere

life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be

cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata".

Col

• Upvote 3

Books.

1) On Nottingham( + maps)) have about 300

2) On British history (Mainly Georgian )

3) Railways

4) Coal Mining

5) Trade Unions & Labour party histories

6) and odds & ends

CDs Musical tastes quite eclectic

Trade Union badges (mainly NUM)

BEER :jumping:

• Upvote 2

# 31 It is great to see someone else interested in trade union history. I can recommend the Modern Archives at Warwick University as a great place to visit. They have a wide range of trade union archives and there is an on line catalogue so you can order books and documents in advance. The staff are very friendly and helpful. On my last visit it was wonderful to read the book containing beautifully hand written minutes of the Typographical Association from 1903.

I also love books, particularly local history books about the places my ancestors were born, lived and worked.

My husband and I enjoy visiting historic sites and stately homes. It is relaxing to look at gardens we do not have to weed, china we do not have to wash and silver we do not have to clean. Birdwatching is very relaxing and interesting. We love Minsmere and Titchwell reserves.

Bubblewrap and BilboroShirley I have a 50+ page booklet called The Story of the TGWU. Published 1975.
Can't get an image inline but here's a link to a copy on eBay.

Mine is complete and in decent condition though a little grubby on the outer. If either of you want it you can have it for postage.

If you both want it I'll toss a coin. :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!B4fvYz!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKi4Ey(mJ5lzlBMqJL(u1vg~~_12.JPG

I was always a strong unionist. In the 70s I was in the Amalgamated Textile Trades Union. In the Courtauld's factory in Skelmerdale where I worked, there were all sorts of obscure Unions such as the 'Knotters, Twisters and Drawers', 'Beamers and Creelers', 'Overlookers' and no doubt others I can't recall. In the 1980s I was involved in a sit in at a Lead Refinery where I worked. It became a bit of a local 'Cause Celebre' and since it also coincided with the People's March for Jobs we were visited by a contingent of the marchers. We were also taken on a coach trip to the People's March rally in Trafalgar Square, courtesy of the local trades council.

That was played down a bit by the media. They also failed to mention the dozens of coach loads of Police they had stashed in various side streets. What were they expecting?

Funny thing happened on the way back. The rather ancient coach developed an injector fault and was spluttering wildly as well as filling the passenger compartment with diesel fumes. The driver pulled over onto the hard shoulder. It seems there's some sort of unwritten rule about that and the next coach along stopped and took all of us passengers to the next services. Thing is, the next coach was a massive luxury thing and pretty full. So we all stood in the aisles etc and practically sat on people's knees.. all with our 'Tories Out' and less palatable banners... It took a little while to understand the stony silence from our 'rescuers'..... They turned out to be a Conservative Club outing. :rotfl:

Poor dears must've been terrified. :) But we refrained from spitting, thieving, rape, pillage etc, and even thanked them for their assistance as we left their bus.

Later, I was NALGO/UNISON rep for my own Careers Service in St Helens, and subsequently North West rep to the National Careers Service Committee.

I was also a Labour Parish Councillor, and Chair of Council.

Somewhere I've got a T and G pin, and a Solidarity (Solidarnosc) badge.

Sadly, much of the UK population has been brainwashed into thinking that unions are a 'bad thing'. Breaks my heart.

Col

• Upvote 2

I was forced to have piano lessons for five years, when I'd rather have been train spotting at Nottm Vic. I passed two exams, but never regretted quitting until I saw the Nashville Teens play and was in awe of their pianist.

Really really wish I'd been taught music as a kid. As it is, notation is largely Greek to me and any playing I've ever done has been purely by ear. Can't play stringed instruments to save my life, but I can get a tune of sorts out of whistles etc.

Col

You know what did that Col?( I was a Union rep).

The right to buy your Council house turned hard line blokes into shop floor mice!!

Not sure that was a huge element of it Ian, but I can see your point. I never understood the 'Working Class Tory' stance. All that 'We've bought a house now so we're Tories'

What?

I was made redundant 2 weeks after buying my first house and I hung on. They weren't getting me out. I'm still there now 39 years later. Bought and paid for.

Mine. But that is what everybody should have. Doesn't stop me caring, feeling and fighting for those less fortunate.

I mostly argue politics on another site where there are a couple of 'wannabee' millionaires who go on endlessly about being 'self made' etc. I just tell them that they will never be accepted as part of the 'Bullingdon/Old Etonian' elite as long as they have orifices in their posteriors. They just don't get it. They are being used and screwed over just like the rest of us but they can't see it.

Col

• Upvote 1

#34 and #33

DJ360 and Iandawson I agree with both of you. Trade unions only make the headlines when there is a problem. People forget the good work they have done in the past and are still doing now. The print workers union had their own sick pay and pension schemes before the days of state benefits and state pensions. From 2007 until March this year I was a trade union case worker involved in helping members who were in difficulty. I had training for this role and the objective in supporting a member is to get a win win outcome. Now I deliver training to workplace representatives and case workers. In many workplaces there is a fear of being seen as a union member and this is wrong. Union membership does inform people of their rights under employment law and company policy and this can actually keep them out of trouble.

Ta,to the both of you, I was a thorough shop steward believe me!! I saw usdaw members flock to the Halifax to pay their mortgages and became very reluctant to voice themselves.."I got a house now innit".and Boots rode over the workforce.. Saturdays and Sundays,shift allowance etc..double time..all went walkies!!

After I left NCT they brought a new agreement in that only "flat rate" to be paid for overtime. This included weekend work too.

Madness..

#21. FLY2.

I pressured my daughter when she quite young to take up the piano. The more she practiced the more I spent until she sounded more like Les Dawson on the piano ! hellothere

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

My current hobby is People Watching, then mentally calling them. someone's ears must be burning.

Had some Owd Rodger bought me, but not sampled it yet.

• 10 months later...

I'm aware that some people's hobbies might be a turn off for others, a bit like some of us droning on about our ailments.  (Unless of course it is my scintillatingly fascinating posts about hi-fi.... or my ticker..) So maybe a separate thread might prevent us clogging up the 'How's Your Day' thread?

I'm interested in others' hobbies though.

How about people tell us what their hobbies are in a bit more detail than just the profile?

Maybe post the odd picture of the favourite example of whatever it is you collect/make/fix/go to see.. etc?

Or maybe post a pic of some mysterious object that is used as part of your hobby and invite others to speculate on what it is/is for?

Your starter for 10

71dKfoheomL._SL1500_.jpg

Col

I think this might get moved, as there is already a Hobbies section. 

You know you love it Benj...  When are you going to tell us about your collection of socks?

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I think this might get moved, as there is already a Hobbies section. 

No probs.

And his ties, and his tins of every brand of shoe polish imaginable !

• Upvote 1