From NEP

DUNKIRK Fire Station is set to be sold to a property developer based in Cheshire.

Last month, staff moved to the new Highfields station in Beeston.

Now the site is set to be sold to Gladman Commercial properties. Contracts have been exchanged but not completed.

Money from the sale will be split between Notts Fire and Rescue and Nottingham City Council, who jointly own the site.

A spokeswoman for Notts Fire and Rescue said it was not yet clear what the developer's plans were.

Can we can keep the museums open now!

DUNKIRK Fire Station is set to be sold to a property developer based in Cheshire.

bu99er , my compo investment is out in the open !!!

(I was going to build a caravan park for travellers)

• 6 years later...

Highfields? Don't know how long that's been there but my cousin works there now, he used to be at Dunkirk til it closed a few years ago.

There's one still in West Bridgford I think.

A BIG mistake to close Shakespeare Street when the new London Rd Station is opened (In my opinion)

• Upvote 1

I think I remember this one. Wasnt it on Hucknall rd just before Perry rd tucked into a corner next to a newsagents. I used to pass it on the way to Haywood school.

The one at the ex PDSA site has been open for about a year now I believe.

Does anyone remember the big Leyland fire engine with the turntable ladder attachment that was housed at Shakespeare St.

I was always intrigued as to why it had a black bonnet.

I remember going to an open day and display at Shakespeare St Fire Station back in the 50's. In those days the fear of nuclear attack meant that dark green auxiliary fire engines were kept there. These were always kept on the right hand side of the line up and consisted of a land rover and trailer pump and the inimitable Bedford 'Green Goddess', can anybody recall this. At the open day a full demo of fire fighting skills was demonstrated including entering a smoke filled building when smoke bombs were lit that promptly blew back across the crowd. To this day I can still smell that smoke, it had an odd pungent sickly smell, 'Elf and Selfless' wouldn't allow that today. I do remember the big old Leyland turntable fire engine being used as a demo for rescuing people from the tower, can't recall a black bonnet, if it had I probably didn't think anything of it.
Does Stapleford Fire Station count by the way, is it still there? The reason I'm asking is because I actually designed it 40 odd years ago. I recall the foundations for the hose tower were problematical so I designed it as a massive reinforced concrete boot shape, hooked under the reinforced raft of the main building. I'm assuming it hasn't fallen over yet!!!

I went to those fire displays Pete,up until the early 70's.

A Renault Dauphin upside down and that 'yellow' billowing smoke, the Merryweather was an AEC? Before those TK Bedford's,I remember those sloped front Dennis fire engines. 999 was in the registrations.