We went on a visit to the Shakespeare St station when I was in the 96th Nottm Cub Pack. Very interesting I thought though I'd only be around 10 or 11.

We were asked to write about our trip. Me and another lad were judged to have written the best 'reports' and were taken on a 'mystery' day out by the 'Akela' and a young lady. For some strange reason we went to Oxford from Nottm by train.

It took a while for my innocent young mind to figure that we'd been dragged along on their date....

Still. It was a decent day out.

Col

• 2 months later...

I was a fireman at the old Fire station in the council yard at Beeston. The appliance room was at the side of the tower and the sleeping rooms were on the other side of the yard in two converted houses. The rest room and TV room was in a tarren hut and the kitchen and showers was behind this. We moved to the new station in the early sixties which was situated on the junction of Middle Street and Station Road. It had all the mod cons.....a bar, a rest room , a TV room, A snooker room, a large hall with table tennis. and of course, central heated. The pole was situated in the hall.. There were just two appliances....a water tender and a pump escape ladder

I was a fireman at the old Fire station in the council yard at Beeston. The appliance room was at the side of the tower and the sleeping rooms were on the other side of the yard in two converted houses. The rest room and TV room was in a tarren hut and the kitchen and showers was behind this.

Information and pictures on the subject here. You might even see yourself. http://www.beeston-notts.co.uk/fire_brigade_1950s.htm

Ay up Cliff....thanks for he photos. I started at Beeston in 1961 and Bill Brailsford was my sub officer. Terry Brian was the station officer and Harold Hind was my leading fireman. If I remember rightly, Bill Brailsford left to go and live in Australia.. If ever we were out in an appliance and crossed from one county to the next, i.e. Notts into Derbys, he would always turn off the radio as if there were no radio signals into the foreign county.

The Dennis F15 pump escape was still at Beeston when I started. It had a Rolls Royce powered engine and boy, could it move. The water tender was a Karrier and was very unreliable.

Here's a bit of a memory I recall from when I was in the fire service. One winters morning, we were called out to two swans stuck in the ice on the old Cossall canal. When we arrived there, sure enough, there they were "stuck ". Being as I was the lightest fireman in the crew, I was volunteered to get them unstuck. It was decided that the small ladder would be extended to its fullest and slid across the ice where \I could crawl along it and break the ice from around the swans legs.. Frightened, but brave, I started to crawl along the ladder. It was a good job that the ice was thick. I can't even remember it making a cracking noise, but on I went. As I got to about ten feet of the swans, much to my horror, and surprise, the swans got up and walked away....They weren't stuck at all. Phew...thinking about it now, it could have ended in trgedy

• Upvote 1
  • 7 years later...