Pronouncing place names (and how to eat food politely)

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The Italians seem to hold their mouth close to the plate and just shovel it in. I use a fork and twirl it round a desert spoon.

How dare you. Anyway its a dessert spoon. Nothing to do with the desert.Unfortunately Phil I can't remember if you ate spaghetti at La Buca or L'Angolo.:hungr:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot

5hit hole for Derby

How typical of Nottstalgia, but lovely ....... we moved effortlessly from pronouncing place names to eating spaghetti.   Situation calm on the site! 

But it's OK if they wash their hands afterwards as well, Gem..... 

However, Paul tells me that a lot of men don't seem to bother washing their hands AT ALL before they leave the little boys' room.    That's not true in the ladies' loo in my experience..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

How dare you. Anyway its a dessert spoon. Nothing to do with the desert.Unfortunately Phil I can't remember if you ate spaghetti at La Buca or L'Angolo.:hungr:

I rely on spell check but it obviously doesn’t recognise context! Why would you remember unless I made a dreadful exhibition of myself whilst eating it? :biggrin:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MargieH said:

But it's OK if they wash their hands afterwards as well, Gem..... 

However, Paul tells me that a lot of men don't seem to bother washing their hands AT ALL before they leave the little boys' room.    That's not true in the ladies' loo in my experience..

As you leave you pick up the bacteria on the door handle from the great unwashed so that rather defeats the washing process. 

I always was my hands after ,, but often wonder why i bothered,,,cos i ain't actually touched owt thats mucky,,,,,then you use the door handle to get out,,and that must be the muckiest thing in there.................

Phil, there are ways of opening the door without actually touching it with your bare hands...  tissue or elbow?

but I understand what you're saying.... just don't eat the mints on the bar (do they still have them?)

• Like 1

Love spaghetti, and must always be eaten with a fork and spoon. It does take some mastering though I must admit ! 

I hate sugar lumps in a jar in cafes. I'd rather do without.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Not quite a Pint...............

Could have been a plate of spaghetti or pot of peas !

5 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Spaghetti eat from the back of your plate as with any food?

Worrabarrt them chinks eating noddles with sticks? 

The English attempt to pick up food in a gentile manner with chopsticks and lift it up to their lips. The orientals bring their mouths down to the level of the plate and use the chopsticks to shovel the food in. Unlike Johnny Foreigner, we are taught proper table manners! :biggrin:

• Like 1

I've seen blokes coming out of the stalls after a sit down job and not bother washing their hands. God knows how they live at home.

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Phil, on that subject, it used to be embarrassing when I was a ranger at water sports centre, holme Pierrpont, I could in be in the loo and my radio would blast out, "HP5 what's your location?", usually when the gents was busy. Oh the pain !!!

• Like 2

Just finished a very nice spaghetti actually, we're big pasta fans. Nothing should ever be written in stone but most Italians with table manners just use a fork. You might see some in gangster movies with a napkin down their front shovelling but that's rude. Nothing at all wrong with using a spoon as well, after all it's not the easiest unless you've been taught the correct way or get plenty of practice. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, TBI said:

Just finished a very nice spaghetti actually, we're big pasta fans. Nothing should ever be written in stone but most Italians with table manners just use a fork. You might see some in gangster movies with a napkin down their front shovelling but that's rude. Nothing at all wrong with using a spoon as well, after all it's not the easiest unless you've been taught the correct way or get plenty of practice. 

Italians with table manners. Which part of Italy do you frequent? (just joking Brenda!)