Pronouncing place names (and how to eat food politely)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot

5hit hole for Derby

How typical of Nottstalgia, but lovely ....... we moved effortlessly from pronouncing place names to eating spaghetti.   Situation calm on the site! 

My mum said that when she moved to Nottingham from Yorkshire she found place names that were not pronounced as she expected. One was Gotham. She asked my dad where Celanese was. Having seen the name on a bus she thought it was a village. Dad explained it was a works bus to a factory!

• Upvote 1

On Coming to Cardiff I first lived in an area called Pentwyn.Those living there pronounced it as "pentwin".

I worked on the other side of the city.When I was asked where I lived I said "pentwin".They said no you mean "pentoin".

The people outside Cardiff pronounce it differently from those in Cardiff.My first area manager was from Caldicot and looked down on those from Cardiff,even questioning whether they were Welsh.

My mum said that when she moved to Nottingham from Yorkshire she found place names that were not pronounced as she expected. One was Gotham.

To anyone from this area it's Goat-um. That's what I've always known it as and what I've always heard locally.

But to anyone from outside Notts, they always say Goth-um, as if it's the place where Batman lives.

• Upvote 4

What about Bidath Bottoms, Huckna, Papperwick, Suthull or Bulwull........

• Upvote 1

At Junior School in Calverton the teacher said we should say 'Carve-ton' because it was the village of calves.

However, everybody else said Cal-verton and my mates back in the Medders said Cal-vitton.'

I had lots of friends in Calvo, back in the 50's and 60s......

My missus thinks I've lost the plot when I sit in front of the TV correcting news readers and presenters.

They invariably say proper instead of properly. As in " I did the job properly " .... It's not proper !