Pronouncing place names (and how to eat food politely)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot

5hit hole for Derby

How typical of Nottstalgia, but lovely ....... we moved effortlessly from pronouncing place names to eating spaghetti.   Situation calm on the site! 

I did indeed know Col McCraith, NBL. He was also a partner at Rotheras, although in my time, he was a consultant on a part time basis. A gentleman to the core. Always raised his hat if you passed him in the street. Nice chap.

Colonel Pat was also a bit of a lad and looked after his own.

Back in 1971 a few months into my service with the SRY I had to attend a tax tribunal, I had been sent a bill for over £700 which I knew I didn't owe, a couple of hundred yes but not that much.

Come the day I got myself all dressed up, suit, regimental tie etc clasping my little box of paper work of I went. Eventually I stood before the bench and gave my version of events, after some discussion with his colleagues the chairman turned to me and said "I think you owe £76 would you agree to that." Agree I nearly snatched his hand off.

Some months later I was at a regimental dance when a man approached me dressed in a colonels uniform "ah" he said "I believe you owe me a very large G&T" that was my introduction to Col Pat and the power of the regimental tie.

• Upvote 2

Another commonly heard mispronunciation is a road in Hucknall, Wighay Road. Many times I have heard local radio presenters pronounce it as Wig Hay when it is really Wiggy. If people working in the media can't get it right what chance have strangers got?

Rawtenstall in Lancashire is one that has always astounded me.

The locals pronounce it Rottenstall which always sounds a bit derogatory to me.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2015 at 8:40 AM, The Pianoman said:

Uttoxeter is a good one if you are one of the locals. It sounds something like 'Txtta'

My Dad used to prodounce Uttoxeter as.....".Uttcheta " when he used to work there in the 1930's

Newark started off life as "New Work" an overspill from the city of Nottingham

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also back to Norfolk just outside Kings Lynn you have Setchy = sketch and if your looking for Aysborough go to Happisburgh, weird or what.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/27/2017 at 5:13 PM, Bing said:

It's a bit far for overspill from Nottingham.   Newark means a new fortification.

Thought is was an anagram of W-----r

Down here in the SW we have Mousehole = Moussle, St Austell = Snozzle, Plymouth to the Royal Navy is Guzz and my home town of Uckna (Hucknall)

• 1 month later...