Pronouncing place names (and how to eat food politely)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot

5hit hole for Derby

How typical of Nottstalgia, but lovely ....... we moved effortlessly from pronouncing place names to eating spaghetti.   Situation calm on the site! 

10 minutes ago, jonab said:

Someone told me once that the 'correct' (royal) way to eat a banana was with a knife and fork - likewise oranges and apples. They should NEVER be held in the hand.

Try doing that with a marrowfat or mushy pea :Shock:

15 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

What about eating spaghetti...do you slurp up the strands, or wrap them around the fork (or spoon) ?

My solution is not to eat spaghetti at all.

I agree Cliff Ton, too difficult to eat, I can’t be bothered with food that’s difficult to eat and don’t like it anyway.  

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

What about eating spaghetti...do you slurp up the strands, or wrap them around the fork (or spoon) ?

When we were children, my sister and I pretended to be birds eating worms and raced to see who could suck up a strand fastest. Well, we are sparrows!

Usually ended up in a good hiding for not behaving properly at the table!  Fun though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Crumble the spaghetti before you cook it then, mix with mushy peas. If your really posh garnish with broccoli.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Always make sure one has one's little finger cocked, with a forkful, (like sipping tea in China cups).

I never do that with my little finger...it was once the sign of a prostitute! Take care Beekay! :Shock:

28 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I never do that with my little finger...it was once the sign of a prostitute! Take care Beekay! :Shock:

I thought the sign was the wearing of an ankle chain?   

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, trogg said:

Ben what is this proper pronouncing and elegant eating thing, us Bestwood lads aint gorra chance av we. 

Speak fa thee sen Trogg.....................lol

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I thought the sign was the wearing of an ankle chain?   

That's a Tag Margie, if you've been a bad lad !!

• Upvote 1

Trogg , I went to Bestwood once, it was closed. My fust job worrat  Bestwood pit. Didn't eat spaghetti then or cock my little finger. Nobody noticed though. B.

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

thought the sign was the wearing of an ankle chain?   

Maybe but 17th and 18th century courtesans also signalled with their little finger. It was an upper class thing, so Beekay shouldn't be at any risk! ;)

• Upvote 1

Not knowing owt about such things     me and a mate went in the Miltons Head about 1961,,,,noticed a lady sat at the Bar wearing 'Ankle chain'' while waiting to be served she kept asking us........''have you got a shilling? ''...........

29 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Not knowing owt about such things     me and a mate went in the Miltons Head about 1961,,,,noticed a lady sat at the Bar wearing 'Ankle chain'' while waiting to be served she kept asking us........''have you got a shilling? ''...........

What did you get for a shillingsworth back in ‘61 then Ben?