Pronouncing place names (and how to eat food politely)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot

5hit hole for Derby

How typical of Nottstalgia, but lovely ....... we moved effortlessly from pronouncing place names to eating spaghetti.   Situation calm on the site! 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Italians with table manners. Which part of Italy do you frequent? (just joking Brenda!)

I hope so.:)

I always just use a fork but the problem arises when and if you eat bucatini , long thicker type spaghetti with a hole all the way through it. You get it on the fork ok then when you are about to put it in your mouth the end piece flops down, inevitably splashing the sauce everywhere.

Phil you were brave to make a comment like that, napoletani are a law unto themselves.

Table manners, spaghetti, the Mafia, ankle chains, unsavoury toilet habits, and it's pronounced Suthell !

Thats the beauty of NS at times like this. Variety, banter and good natured posting. Are we in for a welcome scenario for 2019 ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You're probably correct Lizzie. Forever the optomist. I normally jump the gun ! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can't see why people make such a fuss about eating spaghetti. I just roll it around my fork and put it in my mouth. None of this spoon and fork rolling rubbish, totally unnecessary. I must say, though, that I have sometimes seen Italians using the fork and spoon method.

If you find spaghetti eating a problem, try linguine - it's like slightly flattened spaghetti and it behaves itself better when being wrapped around the fork.

Perhaps better, though, is the fact that the Italians, ever resourceful, have invented probably hundreds of pasta forms which don't take the form of long strands (and I don't mean children's style alphabetti or spaghetti hoops) but proper serious shape designed to hold the sauce. Two that come to mind without a thought are orecchiette (little ears) and conchiglie (seashells). Both of these are sort of cup-shaped and hold sauces most effectively.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lizzie, are we counting chickens now ?? I've seen three today. Forget the spaghetti rubbish, you can't beat a plate of tagliatelle carbarnara, especially if you also use Stilton cheese sauce. Only about 358 shopping days to Christmas. B.

Crikey  folks, just lets forget Christmas now, and get on with our lives as best we can. It's done, over, finished ! 

The birds are tweeting, and spring is on its way. smile2

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Crikey  folks, just lets forget Christmas now, and get on with our lives as best we can. It's done, over, finished ! 

Chickens don't tweet. Do they ??

They do when being dispatched ! LOL

Anyway !  In an attempt to get back on topic, how about Basford. It's always pronounced Baseford round here, but many outsiders insist on pronouncing it Bass, as in the Brewery, then ford. 

48 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Have to agree with you FLY its over lets look forward. Food shopping yesterday and we brought some hot cross buns, I love them toasted with lashings of butter , how do you like them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Must be Lurpak !

• Like 2

Now, now Phil !  LOL

Actually, any butter that is nicely salted. Sod what the health police think !

• Like 2