Pronouncing place names (and how to eat food politely)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly assure you RR.that don't hang listening at bog doors. I have more important things to do, like knitting spaghetti or filling ravioli parcels. ( Got tired of counting mushy peas in a pot

5hit hole for Derby

How typical of Nottstalgia, but lovely ....... we moved effortlessly from pronouncing place names to eating spaghetti.   Situation calm on the site! 

59 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

How did the  (and how to eat food politely) get in the title of this thread?

As Lizzie has mentioned, you obviously haven't read the most recent couple of pages in the thread, because........

On 1/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, Cliff Ton said:

In view of recent events, I've amended the title of this thread.

The thread got sidetracked in such a big way that I felt it would be helpful to add an extra description. It was either that or separating off the food posts into a new thread, but that would've been more complicated.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's definitely escalated dramatically, which is good as it's possibly encompassing the two things we do most in our lives.

Talking and eating...... Hopefully not at the same time ! :hungr:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Have you read all 10 pages of this thread you started Letsavagoo?!!

I'd read it all up to 11.15pm Friday, Fly's post. My birthday Friday so I don't think I looked in and if I did I wasn't seeing straight. Very very nice whiskey from my son.

I don't mind. As the two subjects are so different I thought it would be split so I was just surprised. As we got to eating though on the thread you're probably right to keep it together.

Just on the South-well - Suthell debate. My 6 year old grandson has just lost his 2 front 'baby' teeth so it's currently pronounced Suffall.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've noticed that the BBC news website is an excellent place to spot the erroneous use of the apostrophe.  Recently, I've noticed that some reporters are not using them at all. Presumably, if you don't know how to use one, leave it out! Very sad. The rules aren't difficult to understand.

• Like 1

With that previous post, Jill has managed to link all the threads together.

'Pronouncing place names' had become 'Eating politely' and 'Apostrophes' had become 'Male knitting'. 

Now 'Pronouncing place names'  has become 'Apostrophes'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

With that previous post, Jill has managed to link all the threads together.

I don't like loose ends...unless it's spaghetti, of course!  This post contains mention of food and an apostrophe, correctly employed! ;)

• Like 1

Talking of the BBC news website, it appears that their computer doesn't have a Euro sign, you know '€'. Is this because they think they won't need one after March 29?

It may be, though, that it's BBC.com that doesn't have € and BBC.uk does - which is the wrong way round from what it ought to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've noticed that the BBC news website is an excellent place to spot the erroneous use of the apostrophe.  Recently, I've noticed that some reporters are not using them at all. Presumably, if you don't know how to use one, leave it out! Very sad. The rules aren't difficult to understand.

A shop has recently opened in our local precinct selling branded clothes, trading under the title of 'Guess Who's'. I reckon it should be 'Guess Whose', but I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ValuerJim said:

A shop has recently opened in our local precinct selling branded clothes, trading under the title of 'Guess Who's'. I reckon it should be 'Guess Whose', but I'm open to suggestions.

In Vic Centre market that would probably be named Gues's whos

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I enjoyed my english lessons at school and was taught that " guess who's" meant who did it belong to. ie, this dress belongs to Grette and "guess whose " could belong to anybody just guess.

But the question is what does the owner intend.

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

I enjoyed my english lessons at school and was taught that " guess who's" meant who did it belong to. ie, this dress belongs to Grette and "guess whose " could belong to anybody just guess.

But the question is what does the owner intend.

Guess who's...means guess who is, ie the film Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.  Guess whose...means guess who something belongs to.

• Like 2

You're right Jill,who's . The apostrophe is for the missing letter, I don't know how I was thinking, but maybe I wasn't concentrating suffiently. On the other hand Italian doesn't have so much in the way of apostrophes. Think I'm being Italianised. But I was good at English and looking back over my post it's made me feel like an idiot which I'm most certainly not.:blush:

Reading it again I must have been crazy to come up with a thing like that. Sometimes I see a post and want to answer straightaway and I start to reply or comment then get side tracked and end up with what I didn't want to say.

You're tired Brenda get to bed , or it could be the ice cream with Limoncello that you had.:cheers:

• Like 1