Nottingham from above - St Ann's

Thanks for that Cliff,in the late 60's they flattened all those buildings from Huskinson st.right down to opposite the Clinton pub,anyone recall all that grey corrugated iron running from the Hole in the Wall to the YWCA? Eventually after years of being a car park, they erected a nursery school and North British Housing built affordable places on the old Alma Close etc..above Huntington st sign..I remember Wellington st.and before the fancy new Hopewell's was built- Watts stored diggers and trucks there.

See! Told you it was a B1.....☺ Incidentally when I was spotting more like 1960 ish.. There were plenty of V 2s about but the late afternoon and early evening fish trains were almost all pulled by Brits.

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I see the 5 just above the Esso sign, 5-minute car wash, part of the Shakespeare Service Station. I worked there when I was at school. The cars came through the North Sherwood St entrance and out through the front. We did all the police cars from next door too. Wasn't a great pIace to work.

Well you had my house in the meadows one (Atlas Terrace) and now you have my other home(so my wife used to say) The EMGB just to the left of the Huntingdon St sign and I notice there does not seem to be traffic lights at the corner of Woodboro Rd.

NewBasfordlad Only just seen your comments its clear we loved the Gas board,arrrr if only.......

Trevor I don't know about love but it weren't a half bad place to work and the training received has seen me through to this very day. Only a few weeks ago I whipped the barrel out of a mains cock, cleaned it, greased it and bobbed it back.

Bloke stood at side of me was gob smacked, nearly pooped his self

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if you folks have come across this site before, my guess is that you have but just in case you haven't

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=53.1391&lon1.2192&layers=171

It is currently centered on Mansfield because that's where it was set to resolve a disagreement with my brother but it is easy to move around and the brilliant feature is that you can superimpose today over the old maps all over the UK