Cumbrian Floods

My heart goes out to all the poor souls who have suffered severe flooding YET AGAIN in Cumbria and parts of the Lake District. It must surely be devastating for them.

However, it fills my heart with joy to see ALL parts of the community helping each other. Food donations, furniture loans or gifts, workmen donating their materials, time and equipment free. Everyone mucking in together. Brilliant. Why though does it take a disaster like this to gee everyone up to assist each other.

So, all you moaners, just look around and see people far worse off. Indeed, some have lost almost everything.

• Upvote 7

The EA must surely be one of the most inept and idealistic groups of 'people' imaginable.

They'd move heaven and earth to protect a newt , a butterfly or a bloody orchid FFS, but the local community...... No chance!

Just who do they think pays their inflated salaries?

• Upvote 1

I saw the EA spokesperson on the news. Apparently the very expensive new flood defences worked at Cockermouth, the only problem was the water level was higher than expected, so it flowed over them!! What? you'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

• Upvote 1

Similar at Attenborough the other year. Big defences, but it only meant that the excess was pushed elsewhere.

How many years for Gods sake has Shelford, Gunthorpe and the surrounding area flooded and NOTHING has ever been done.

• Upvote 1

Fly this is what happens here people helping people. Some floods happen every yearin some areas and its always just before Christmas. Theres a great contingent of students who help they were eventually called angels of the mud.Nice to think the young ones arent just lazy.

• Upvote 1

I saw one poor woman interviewed on Saturday morning and she said that she only moved in six days previously.

Another couple had agreed the sale of their home only the previous day. I really do feel for them. Their whole lives devastated for good.

I was working at Attenborough quarry the other year when the Trent came up,I watched the water getting higher as it came up the railway lines until they were completely covered,frightening thing is,you cant do a thing about it,you feel so helpless especially when the water was rising up the bungalow walls on Allendale, we took sand down there in the loading shovel bucket to help divert the rising waters

Rog

This is the 7th house I've lived in and somehow, luckily, each home has been on a hill and there's never been a risk of flooding. 11 years ago, when we were looking for somewhere to live back in Nottingham, we really fancied living down by the river .... Fiskerton, Hoveringham, Southwell, but decided that those places were too close or on the flood plain.

Then this year we bought a 7th floor apartment in South of France. Never imagined we'd have a flooding problem that high up, but hadn't thought about the underground garage which ended up flooded out, with our car, scooter and loads of other things (furniture) written-off. Insurance company is still working on it.

My sister-in-law's property was flooded 2 years ago on Christmas Eve. Her bungalow was virtually re-built and they weren't able to move back in for a year. This was down near Gatwick Airport and sluice gates had been opened at the airport to save it being flooded!

• Upvote 1

A few years ago during the floods someone had stocked up on wood pellets for his stove. He stored them in a garage! After the water had retreated on opening his garage door he found a wall of solid wood.

CHEP pallets? My son got a job with them when just out of University. It sounded wonderful, VERY nice company car, Area Sales Manager title. Turned out that most of his time was taken up going round counting blue pallets in warehouses. He didn't hack that for long!

• Upvote 1

CHEP are very possessive of their pallets.

Had a similar job doiing security? at Cotts soft drinks(who were a large user) I had to count tthe empties on the lorries as the entered the works.

Bass had a large warehouse at Burton-on -Trent and were a major user up tp 30,000 pallets could be in that place.

Not pallets....pellets. They are basically sawdust or similar pressed into thick pellets for burning in central heating stoves. We have one in the kitchen . It uses a 15 kg bag a day and heats the house and hot water. They are fantastic. Timeable and gives out great heat. They are very popular here.

These are pellets and stove

image_zpsweyxd264.jpeg

image_zpsed4oshr5.jpeg

You can image these plus water in a garage. They swell and are delivered on pallets stacked up.

I remember working as a fork lift truck driver at a large cake factory in Newark in the mid 90's.

Obviously a lot of sugar was used and came on British Sugar Corporation pallets. They rang the stores one day aledging that we had over 2,500 of their pallets. I counted what was in the yard and there was about twenty. It appeared that the stores manager and his staff were involved in a big scam with drivers from a plastic container manufacturers and all non CHEP pallets were given to them no matter what and there was to be a big payout at Christmas. I mentioned to the manager that BSC he'd rang about their pallets, and he told me to forget it.

On breaking up for Christmas, I was given a massive bottle of brandy, and one of vodka. I left then as I was only a temp on a six month contract but I often wonder what the outcome was.

The disaster of these recurring floods and the sight of the unfortunates suffering as a consequence make me feel that much of the foreign aid we deal out should be diverted to causes closer to home.

• Upvote 1

I was watching the news yesterday about the climate change conference in Paris.

The Indian delegate was saying they cannot reduce their carbon emission's as they are a very poor country trying to drag their populace out of poverty. Therefore they will open one coal fired power station every month or so until 2020 unless.......................someone pays them not to.

Now let me think is this not the country that has its own space program and a nuclear weapons arsenal. Is this not the country we still send millions of pounds in aid to every year.

I wonder why that is, could it be that our politicians are ...................................scared of loosing the Indian vote come elections!!!!!

• Upvote 1