1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Still driving with a clean record at 72.  As you say premiums go up every time as well.  Now they are pushing a monitoring device with the excuse if you drive few miles you get a rate reduction.  They play down its gps and speed monitoring abilities.  I will not be constantly monitored by theses creeps.  So I guess I will face the choice one of these days.   Maybe get me bike out again,

Loopy these devices can be a good thing, my granddaughter has one of the devices fitted (not long passed her test)  someone ran into her at a junction. They signalled to go left came straight on hit her on the driver side, on their accident form said they were doing 30mph but the device in her car recorded the impact at 51mph so can have their uses. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it's a tin Lizzie  ? ( original name for the Ford T )

You’ve been spoiled by your posher cars. If it keeps the wind and rain off, what more do you need. Bet little M gets more attention than your other car(s). 

Well, they ain't gonna telematic me Mick.  Gem has a good point re. her daughter's accident and I agree that in this instance it was a good thing.  What I fear is the constant monitoring of my speed and location.  I try to obey speed limits but we are sometimes in situations where we could exceed the limit.  (overtaking for instance).  Is that held against us?   I don't go anywhere I shouldn't go but that is not the point.  I do not like constant surveillance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the UK there NO excuses for breaking the speed limit. They take the view that if you think you need to speed to overtake then don't do it. The same applies to all other traffic law i.e. you do not move for an ambulance or other blue light if it means you commit an offence.

I totally agree with loppy about surveillance but I'm afraid that the ever increasing demand of our glorious leaders to control us make it inevitable.

• Upvote 1

Well I broke the news to the old fellow yesterday that I could not get his insurance below a grand, so me old man has been trying to give his car away to anyone who wants it, with no joy. I phoned his current insurance company to tell them thats it no more dosh from him, he's done with driving. 

Have you considered putting yourself (me) as a named driver on your Fathers insurance Sir? It could bring the premium down, comes out at £449.63 ...... the old fellows back on the road.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4
  • 5 years later...

Spent several hours on the phone and internet yesterday and today trying to get acceptable car insurance for both our cars.  In the past year the policy costs have risen dramatically, frighteningly to be honest.  My husband’s car, an Audi S8 has tripled from £814 to £2,400.  My Audi S3 has gone up from £495 to £680.  Nothing has changed, the cars are both a year older and we haven’t had any claims.  I suppose the 2 SP30’s my husband has had for almost 3 years might reflect on the cost, but they were there a year ago anyway.  
Any suggestions anyone?  

Lizzie, I think shopping around is the only way. I was with Direct Line for a while but they went silly so I swapped to Ageas who are also now getting silly., so another change is due. I may try Saga. I wouldn't mind but I do very little mileage these days..

Incidentally when we spoke about Audi's last time we met, I mentioned that my Bro was getting an A3. Seems it's actually an S3 with everything on. He got one last year, kept it for a few weeks, decided he wanterd higher spec, so sold it back to the dealer for what he paid and ordered the new one, for which he's now been waiting for over a year. Apparently it's now 'in build'... 

For the past few years I'd been with Direct Line who had been good on price. This year their automatic renewal was a 40% increase, which I thought was a bit too far. A look around MoneySupermarket pointed me to Saga who were only slightly above what Direct Line had been last year.

As a random experiment, I looked at one of the companies who proudly tell you they aren't on comparison sites - Churchill. They came up with a price 90% higher than Saga.  That's why they aren't on comparison sites.

Iv'e just renewed my insurance with Lloyd's. It was only £30. more than last year. Still half the price of Co-op. 

Bk, I’ve just wasted 15 minutes of my life filling in an on-line form for Lloyds Insurance and their quote for the S8 is £3.5k, so I haven’t put my car details in!  I’m just pleased he hasn’t still got the Aston Martin ;)  We hate insurance but it’s necessary.  

I've no idea what an S8 is. I can only say what I paid for my Citroen C3 Aircross, which worked under out at £300, fully comp. Sorry you wasted your time Lizzie. My apologies ma'am.

As an experiment, I've just got a quote from Lloyds (even though I'm now committed to Saga).

They were almost identical to the Saga quote, so they're good.....and sensible.......nowhere near the stupidity of Churchill. 

I'll bear them in mind for future years.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Car insurance
  • 8 months later...

Just got my renewal notice from RIAS a couple of weeks back.  Around a 40% increase. This for somebody who hardly drove anywhere during Covid, has had two six week spells of being unable to drive due to surgery, is averaging around 4000 miles p.a., clean licence, never an accident that was my fault, etc.

Got on the phone to them and almost the first words from the Robot Voice on the other end was.. "If you are calling to get a discount, forget it.."  Well I gave them a chance and they blew it so they not only lose the increase, but the lot. Probably 10 years of premiums for cover which has cost them diddly-squat, and this is how they reward my loyalty.  Well Sod 'Em.

Saga came in a little cheaper at around £320 total, but I found one with identical cover on a comparison site the other day for £200. So long as I'm legal I'll go with that.

Just came onto Nottstalgia - page opens at 'All Activity' - thought it was slightly amusing that there was two subjects listed one after the other - 'Car Insurance' and 'It's a Scam.'   

I'll say no more.

Just got a Car insurance quote online from Lloyd's. £120 cheaper than RIAS renewal.

Mine was due in October. Churchill was my insurer £970  never had an at fault claim and 4k miles. RAC surprisingly £650 and I accepted Saga at £575...

• 2 months later...

My day ruined already. Just received my insurance quote for the next year. It's risen from £328 last year to £678 !!! I am not a happy bunny. 100% + increase for no apparent reason. Time to consult 'Compare the market' methinks. Anybody got any recommendations?

I think this is a common trend this year, my son who is 39 paid £400 + last year and his renewal quoted over 1K this year. Even with shopping around he couldn’t get it below £700. Not good. 

32 minutes ago, Beekay said:

My day ruined already. Just received my insurance quote for the next year. It's risen from £328 last year to £678 !!! I am not a happy bunny. 100% + increase for no apparent reason. Time to consult 'Compare the market' methinks. Anybody got any recommendations?

I just got a good deal with Santander.co.uk 

45 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I just got a good deal with Santander.co.uk 

Got a quote from Santander Den, it were nearly three hundred pound more !

Got a long list of quotes from Compare etc, but they are all dearer than mine, rising up to £1800. So might as well stay put. Just cannot figure why the massive increase. Is it my age or maybe something I said.

21 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Got a quote from Santander Den, it were nearly three hundred pound more !

Got a long list of quotes from Compare etc, but they are all dearer than mine, rising up to £1800. So might as well stay put. Just cannot figure why the massive increase. Is it my age or maybe something I said.

My current insurer LV went from £250 to £350, Santander quote was £180.

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

According to published date the current average motor insurance cost is £627.

Could save myself £63 if I pay annual fee, rather than monthly. Which equates to nearly 10%, I think.