Another bank closing

HSBC bank in Bulwell is closing on the 22nd of January. Bloody disgusting. They suggested me going to Clumber St. Crazy.

Hopefully not. We don't want any more overpriced and rowdy uninviting wine bars totally lacking any form of atmosphere....... Unless of course they put bands on !! No, I'm dreaming again.

I had this argument in TSB years ago when some woman wanted to sign me up for online banking.

When I can withdraw cash from my PC is when I'll sign up ! Soon shut her up.

I also remember the "Bolshie" I don't give a toss, I'm doing you a favour by being here attitude at the Co-op in Bulwell years ago, where is the Co-op in Bulwell now ?

I had a set to with a woman in RBS in Wollaton years ago. I applied for a loan for a car. The first time ever.

She wanted to check my credit rating, and as I'd never had a loan she said that banks didn't like customers like me. I replied .No, you like every f****r up to their ears in debt don't you. I actually got the loan, but paid it off very quickly. Bankers.... I put the barstewards in the same category as estate agents.... Now I'm getting annoyed again.

• Upvote 1

In the queue in Lloyds in Bulwell, not called TSB anymore ?. Woman patrolling the queue & scrutinising every customer & asking what they were in the queue for ?

Instead of doing nothing why not go & open another position on the counter I asked !

If looks could kill.

• Upvote 4

WTF it's a bank and cheques aren't obsolete yet ......will all banks eventually close ?

"cheques aren't obsolete yet" - You reckon do you?

"will all banks eventually close?" - Yes it's inevitable.

I opened my Halifax account thirty odd years ago and the cheque book is still in tact, it's never been used. I can't see why anyone would need a cheque book these days. I love using my debit card, I can pay there and then. My account will have been debited before I get home so I can check to see what's what. You can't do that with a cheque payment, you could wait weeks before a cheque cleared. I buy and sell a few guitars on the odd occasion and I would never take a cheque from anyone nor would I expect anyone to take one from me.

Cheques aren't obsolete yet. Most retailers don't take them, most people don't issue them, but businesses and institutions do. We do all our banking online yet we have to schlep to the bank to pay them in regularly. So far just this month, two £25 Premium bond wins, one overpayment from HMRC and one insurance claim payment. They could easily have been sent by bank transfer.

Online banking will close the High Street Bank, the cost saving to the banks / shareholders is too much to lose !

Supermarket self serve checkouts will see the end of checkout assistants.

Mind you that might be a good idea after some of the moody cows I've had to put up with !

The only time I see a cheque is when my mother gives me a Christmas/birthday present made out in £.s.d :)

Mother is 86 & is still living in the 1960s...................But is quite generous with her cash. :)

My/our current account is with a building society NOT a bank

I hate banks, and that is a word I very seldom use.

Before the bankers bust this country,I have bad memories of those institutions in Nottm..especially the CO-OP one on Friar Lane and Nat West in Arnold..pulled the plug on both of 'em!!

Never forgot a certain high st.bank financed the destruction of rain forests with it's customers savings!!

No bank for me.

The ONLY online banking we do, is to pay our credit card off at the start of each month, everyday business with us is in cash, keep as little in our account as humanly possible.

Once they have got you into "their" way of thinking, they will charge you for every banking transaction, even when they have "YOUR" money in their banks...It's coming, do some research.

Once cashless society's emerge, there will be an "underground" trading system set up..Imagine how many billions governments will lose in taxation, and how much banks will lose in revenue.

It worked pre money for centuries until someone decided to start a bank off.....And they made a fortune storing peoples gold....They even worked out how to rip their customers off, which modern "Banksters" have refined into a fine art.

No I don't like banks, in fact I hate banks and all they stand for, they are at the root of all the worlds troubles, from poverty to wars.

• Upvote 2

Also, hole in the wall thingies or to be pedantic, ATMs, mostly are free to use only a few charge a fee to use BUT in the not too distant future all ATMs will slap a charge on to use.

Like Ayup & others have said, pay cash !

I paid cash for "Ruby" & the salesman's eyes almost jumped out of their socketts !

• Upvote 1

A good few years back I went into Staples off Meadow lane to buy a new computer. Made my choice, stuck it on the trolley and went to the till. having just been paid cash for a heating system I took out a wedge and started to count off £1500 or there abouts. It must have been unusual even back then as people from other tills came to see a big cash deal.

• Upvote 1

Ian, it certainly helps!! I used to go to the large ham radio swap meets in northern California, a mate of mine used to trade in ham radio equipment and used to go to the same swapmeets, and I've watched him make an offer for a particular radio, while fingering a wad of bank notes, you could watch the seller salavating, he always bid the seller way down on his asking price.

Always remember an old maths teacher in my first year at tech college around 1963, saying he predicted one day all banks will all be gone, and people will use some sort of card or identification, for everything, and society will become cashless !

We all sniggered, yeh right.

I now virtually never use cash, all my transactions are either plastic (debit card) or online. If I ever do need cash we visit a supermarket as no cash withdrawal fee and easy and simple.

I do occasionally use my current banks "hole in the wall's" if available, but most retailers here ask if cash out is required, with any purchase anyway.

OT, love the old Bank in the market square, fresh cooked breakfast and a morning cuppa for a few quid !