There's a recent thread to do with blue plaques to be put on houses lived in by George Brough, of Brough Superior fame. I was browsing through Wikipedia and noticed that William Roach was born in Basford in 1932. Did he live there for any length of time before moving to Ilkeston and, if so, and if his house still exists, does he merit a blue plaque?

I think he deserves a blue plaque. When you look at some of the other dedicatees , some are very obscure.

Well, he is still going strong after all these years......But I do think the latest storyline is silly, He is well past his sellby date to be having sexual affairs, he must be over 80, are these writer's real ?

I think to say that William Roache was born in Basford maybe a bit ambiguous though technically correct .

His father Joseph William Vincent Roache was born 1901 in Ilkeston . His grandfather William Henry Roache , though born Quebec Canada c1871 appears to have been a GP in Ilkeston . He died in 1927 .

1911 they are at 163 Bath Street , Ilkeston . When Dr.

Roache died in 1927 the address was given as Rutland House , Ilkeston.

Ilkeston though in Derbys appears to be in the Basford

registration district at those times and I bet William Roache I.e. Ken Barlow was actually born in Derbys . May be Ann Swabey can confirm ?

Edit : There is an entry in 1932 for William Patrick Roache in the Derbys Registrations Birth Index giving Ilkeston as place of birth .

Doh ......

apparently he has been on Who Do You Think You Are , this confirms Ilkeston :

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/2012/who-do-you-think-you-are/william-roache-32/

• Upvote 1

The man is a legend and in fine fettle for his age. I hope I look that good when I reach over 80.

His comments....... Free speech, isn't that what most of us on here strive for ?

I think in real life that he is exactly like Ken,affable, well educated , well spoken and a complete gentleman .

• Upvote 2