Worst actor(s) on TV and film

With reference to Worst movie you saw.

As a general observation there seems to be a lot (and I mean A LOT) of substandard actors about especially on TV. I saw Jason Statham mentioned earlier on here. Rob Schneider, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Eddie Murphy also qualify in my opinion. Then, there's possibly the worst actor of all time Adam Sandler!

You can have the best actors in the world, damned good storyline and script, BUT, if you don't have a good director, the movie will be a flop, make the good actors look like beginners.

Then in the same vein, you could have the worst actors in the world, the best director in the world, and the movie turns out first class.

Some of the worst films had to be the "spaghetti westerns" of the 60's, even Clint Eastwood was crap, had those Italian budget movies been made by John Ford or equal, they'd have been first class. Mind, the editing could have been improved too, as they were always out of sync....

Owen Wilson. Useless in the extreme.

I've never understood why Michael Caine is highly regarded. Always seems totally wooden in his actions and speech.

I wouldn't exactly have said wooden...his characters in Zulu,Get Carter and Alfie came across well enough...but some of his other films over the years have been atrocious...not unlike Albert Finney. And certainly no more wooden than Richard Burton in Cleopatra.

• Upvote 1

Some technically poor actors have a great career due to the presence of great charisma, one might cite John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. They're no Bobby De Niros or whoever your fancy is but they managed to appear in some great and popular films. Michael Caine might arguably come into this bracket though I tend to agree with the comments about him above.

I've never been impressed with Nicholas Cage's acting really, nor to some extent, Kevin Costner's abilities.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
On 17 December 2015 at 9:49 PM, Rob.L said:

Hugh Grant.

No matter what role, or what film, it's always the same character.

I would normally agree, until I watched 'A Very English Scandal' whatever awards they give out old Hugh deserves one, outrageously brilliant, if you missed it, it's on iPlayer.

• Like 3