Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Just had probably one of the worst weeks of my adult life.

Had a funny quick growing mole removed from my  left temple a few weeks ago, got the call back a couple of days later, not a melanoma but a very rare, very fast growing invasive nasty carcinoma so got to have more skin removed asap, problem, not enough skin on head to get a good boundary, so go to see a plastic surgeon quick time and went in last wednesday for a removal and split skin graft.

Actual operation under general was no probs, but the pain afterwards, my god !  been on panedine forte and oxycontin for nearly a week, so hardly any sleep apart from a drugged stupor then hangover from the drugs.

Also some nice theatre nurse thought it would be great fun to apply my donor site near my groin with a very liberal amount of gooey tape without shaving my pubes ! so every time I try to walk I end up defoliating half my goodies. Ended up removing that dressing myself and shaving what I had got left before re applying a new dressing, Think they took enough skin to do half my bloody body, maybe just in case !

Got some big foam packing stapled to my skin across my left forehead about 3" square, and as said the pain is like a migraine on steroids, a  little man with a hammer has been trying to get out for 6 days !

Anyway back tomorrow to get the dressings removed and changed and see if the graft has taken, bugger I've had enough of this old age thing.

Oh and did I mention constipation due to drugs, now I've got grapes growing where the shouldn't and they bleed like buggery every time I try to go to the loo. (sorry for the description ladies) but I've had enough of this.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Carni!  You must behave in future!!  Please look after yourself.

Banjo.  Bloody hell!  You have my deepest sympathies, but the fact you feel up to posting here is a good sign.

FWIW, I can recommend Ultraproct to sort out your 'grapes'.  Nothing worse.

Col

• Upvote 1

You really are having a bad time, Banjo but, as loppy says, it's good that it was treated early.... will be thinking and praying that the graft takes well and all the pain and discomfort will soon ease.  

• Upvote 1

Oh Banjo, your post is so descriptively amusing, with your sense of humour you'll get through this problem.  Best wishes for a quick recovery.

• Upvote 1

Oh Banjo, you're in a right state aren't you ?

Hopefully a speedy recovery is on the cards, but I doubt that you'll be eating any grapes in future !

• Upvote 1

I can sympathise with you Banjo as I had a similar thing 5 years ago, the doc took the donor skin from the skin folds in my neck.

Going to the pub with something that looked like a yellow and green pan scourer stapled to your temple is not fun. Trying to sleep was almost impossible as turning in your sleep invariably gave the impression that you were trying to rip the skin of your face. I am left with a one and a half inch

diameter depressed scar which I used to tell the grandkids was where they took my horn off. Now they are older I have told them that it was a type of cancer caused by being out in the sun and that they must always put on sunscreen and wear a hat.

Fair skin from Nottingham and 40 years of Aussie sun do not result in a good mix but in those days we were not as "sun smart" as we are today.

This was the first of my three battles with the BIG C but am still looking at the grass from the right side.

Hang in there Banjo, I hear that the Margaret River wines are a good painkiller and keep the graft out of the sun.

• Upvote 3

Wow, Banjo, what a tale of woe you are going through. Hope all heals well and quickly.  Perhaps the nurse put the sticky dressing where she did, to take your mind off your face!  Thank goodness for the British sense of humor, it gets folks through their bad times. 

• Upvote 1

I thought I would share with you my news. today I am packing a few things to go on a 5 day break and I will not recieve a bill for it . I will be staying in an historic building with acres of grounds, it is full board with drinks included, to satisfy all of my needs all I have to do is press a buzzer and someone will attend to those needs. After the first day I will have a personal trainer twice a day to show me exercises and they will monitor me to ensure I can do them correctly , once I can do those they will give me more exercises to benefit me.
      Before you think I have put this on the wrong forum it is the City Hospital , I will be having a Reverse left shoulder implant revision, that is they are going to take out my current replacement shoulder and replace it with another one which will have the socket on my arm and the ball on my shoulder. Thats how good our NHS is, are not we lucky to have the NHS.

All this is because I tore off two tendons whilst in bed, normally to damage tendons you have to be undertaking some physical or violent activity. Before any of you come to the wrong conclusion I am ashamed to say I turned over whilst asleep in bed.

As an extra benefit I think I have convinced my wife that I will not be able to wash pots , dust, clean windows or any housework again. ( I can dream if I want)

• Upvote 4

Good luck with all that trogg............hope all goes well for you mate...........

Good luck Trogg, we all hope that your operation goes according to plan and you are discharged fit and ready to join the Olympic training programme.

All the best, Trogg.  I hope the op will be successful and that you won't have too much discomfort afterwards!  I was a trained orthopaedic nurse but there was no such op available then - fascinating how the ball and socket joint can work the opposite way round...  keep us all updated.

So I got appointment dates today for a 24 hour Cardiac Monitor thingy and a follow up appointment wiith the Cardiologist.

They want more of my blood too.  Jeez!!  Do they think I've got an unlimited supply? 

I feel like a bit of a fraud because I haven't had the worrying symptoms for a coulpe of weeks.. apart from struggling with hills.  S'pose it's best to get checked out though. I think the last time was about ten years ago after a wobble and a couple of small strokes.

Probably just got 'Old Git Syndrome'  :)

Col

• Upvote 2

Bit of a follow up to my woes,  the good news is they say the graft has taken well, but every time I look at it to apply some special ointment I nearly pass out, and I can assure you I'm not normally squeamish !  the wife won't come near me without the dressing on as she can't look at it or she faints too !

40 odd staples were painfully removed during the first dressing change after a week. To say yuk is an understatement but they assure me it's early days and it will get better.

At least the pain has now subsided, the little man that was in my head hammering has obviously escaped via the 3" trapdoor on my left forehead !  :-o ((

Oh dear Banjo, I'm so sorry you are still struggling with your graft but, as the doctors say, it WILL get better.  Also, you (and your wife!) will get used to what it looks like.  After all, It was a necessary op and better than the alternative of doing nothing!!   As you say, at least the severe pain has subsided, so that's a positive.  Keep us all informed of your progress and keep that sense of humour....  

• Upvote 2

Banjo, I can only echo Margie's sentiments.  Hope it all comes right soon.

Col

• Upvote 1