Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

56 minutes ago, catfan said:

I only eat at Wetherspoons these days Dave if I want food poisening !

That doesn't auger well for the breakfast meetings this week...

Not the food Dave but the unhygenic tables what only seem to get a proper clean once a week. During busy times the tables are covered with food debris etc for hours before a cursory wipe over with an old cloth is used.

I wouldn't put up with this at home so am not accepting this anywhere else !

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Do it at your own risk !  smile2

Been breakfasting there for 3 years........food always good.....never had so much as a upset stomach........

• Upvote 1

I've had three or four Brekkies at Boowull Wethies and these are my experiences.

First was a 'Full English' which wasn't too inspiring.  They just dumped both toast and a plastic container of butter into the beans..  I wouldn't normally choose beans for a Full English anyway... It should be Eggs, Bacon, Fried Bread, Tomatoes, Mushrooms and maybe Black Pudding.  Beans with soggy toast and a plastic pat of butter dumped in them?  Not really...

I was obliged to shoot rapidly back to my brother's house after that for 'repairs', though it might have been an internal fault..  ;)

Next up.  Brekkie with our Benjamin.  I joined him in the delights of 'Eggs Benedict' , which I thoroughly enjoyed but was crippled with indigestion shortly after..  Again though.. it could have been me.... I'm a delicate soul..  :rolleyes:

Third. Again with Benjamin..  I had toast, jam and yoghurt with fresh fruit.  I'd never have this for brekkie in a million years at home.. but it was GORGEOUS!!

Had it again a few weeks ago.  Still fab!!

I shall see what Thurs 19th brings..

Col

Now.... Migraines..

I take it all back..

Since Monday, I have had a low level headache and slight nausea, along with vague visual disturbances.  Basically, I've felt a bit 'crap' ( It's a medical term..)

Not enough to stop me from engaging in my usual frantic social life.... ( as if...) but a bit annoying.

Sure I'll be fine tomorrow.

Col

I wonder if there is some kind of additive in some of the stuff.  Colouring, preservative, Sweetener or whatever that is disagreeing with you, Col.  So much food is loaded with these additives in our day and they may affect some and leave others o-k.  Possibly even pesticide residues if food is not very well washed.

I am using ALL restaurants less and less in these days.  I like to take Mrs; L for lunch out on a Sunday after church.  Give her a break from cooking.  I Have just about lost count of the number of times I feel lousy on Mondays.  It's not one particular restaurant or food that gets to me, but it puts me off going. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, catfan said:

I only eat at Wetherspoons these days Dave if I want food poisening !

That was a tactless remark. From my experience there is nothing wrong at Bulwell Wetherspoons. And the kitchen area looks fine - you can see inside it from the serving-hatch.

My wife, who it has to be said is OTT when it comes to hygiene, refuses to eat at Wetherspoons. The last two occaisions the plates were dirty as was the cutlery. She complained and the staff were Quite unpleasant and the replacement 'thrown' at her was worse than the one she had. Got a refund and never been back.

I find nothing wrong with beans being included in a full English, as long as they're in one of those little rammikins, and not dripping all over the edges of the plate. The toast should definitely be on a side plate, rather than absorbing the tomato juice, assuming they're not grilled of course. The toast should definitely not come ready buttered. I like to do it myself, and lots of it, not one portion per slice.

Bacon should be well done, not burned to a frazzle, or almost still alive. 

At the end of the day, one gets what one pays for. Presentation means a lot to me, and if it looks good, then you're halfway there.

I cannot abide everything just plonked in a heap, looking like the results of some bloody road accident !

On returning from Northumberland recently, I pulled off the A1 near Darlington, and found a nice patisserie on the outskirts of the town that did breakfasts. It was expensive, but the whole ambience of the place, and the service was second to none. (Can't abide Mway services except in emergencies)

So, back to Wethers. I've had the Full English a couple of times, and the brunch once. (Same, but with chips too)  it was great if you were starving, as there was plenty, and it was tasty. Also, the service was quick and pleasant. Obviously, it wasn't freshly cooked, as they do stuff in bulk, but it filled a gap on a cold Sunday morning.

As I've said, you get what you pay for ! Marks out of ten....... Seven.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chulla said:

That was a tactless remark. From my experience there is nothing wrong at Bulwell Wetherspoons. And the kitchen area looks fine - you can see inside it from the serving-hatch.

My comments were based around the cleanliness of the tables, I do enjoy a Wethers' breakfast but I always carefully select a clean table first & even summon a staff member to properly clean a table before I order. The standadrs in different Wethers' varies greatly, take the Samuel Hall for instance, tables all well clean but Wethers in Bulwell is sometimes sadly lacking. I've noticed some staff in Bulwell just give a table a cursory wipe with an old cloth, not a proper clean by any stretch of the imagination.

So my comment was not a tactless remark at all Chulla.

Let's not argue, Mike, but here's me trying to encourage members to attend the breakfast and you implying that if you do and eat, you might get food poisoning.

Frequented Wethers in Burnham on Sea for a steak two years ago, and it was fantastic. Plenty, as I like it, and rapid service.

Wethers in Lymington, Hants, fish and chips, again, as above.

Of course, a 'Full English' is pretty much whatever you want it to be.  And Beans are perfectly OK if they're what you want.  I prefer Tomatoes, but if they are tinned I like 'em cooked down quite a way so that they aren't running all over the plate. I also don't usually bother with sausages.  For me, two eggs, a fried slice, a few rashers of unsmoked bacon ( preferably dry cured) tomatoes and a few mushrooms is plenty.  Sometimes add a slice of Black Pudding..

It is nice to be occasionally presented with a full on Brekkie assortment in a hotel etc., but I find it all gets a bit much after a day or so.

Col

Loppy, re: Allergies and Additives.  You might be right.  I've also had a few changes to my meds lately. Just have to see how it.. goes.

I'm no expert on the topic but from articles I've read there can be a lot of different triggers for migraines in people.  They are not all the same just as folks are not all the same so it makes it very difficult to pin it down.  :(. From what I've been reading lately all migraines are not created equal either.  That makes it even more difficult.

My migraines are invariably prominent when madam starts talking ! :flyswat: Ouch !

• Like 2