Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Just realised this is an aches and pains page. Sorry but was just following a thread. 

I have been in agony the last 2 days. My back has flared up again and Im having injections every day. Cant think what I've done apart from washing my car, but it feels likeI'vegot another slipped disc. See how it goes the next few days and go to visit the xrays dept.

I wouldn't worry Nonna.. It's called 'thread drift'.. and I sort of started it by talking about my experiences trying to get appointments and we all started sharing our experiences etc.

I do hope you don't have a slipped disc!

I started writing a long post.... ( " A long post?  from you Col?  Surely not!!!   :laugh:   ) ...  All about the virtues of town v country living.. but I gave up because I'd had a little too much wine and was falling asleep.

I seem to have been lucky in having the best of both worlds.  When we first lived on Southglade Road, Bestwood Est, we had our backs to Nottm city centre and looked out over uninterrupted countryside for as far as the eye could see.  We had 'Jarve' Goddard's Farm literally at the bottom of the street. We spent most of our time wandering around those fields and meadows.  It was a fabulous place to grow up.  We could easily jump a bus and be in the centre of Nottm in about 20 minutes.  Or we could either walk, or get a bus into Bulwell in no time at all.  Back then, pretty much every shop was either independent, or part of a small local 'chain'.  The only exception I recall is the Co-op which was then in the old theatre which is now ' the 'William Peveril' ( Wethies.) 

As others have pointed out, Bulwell is very different now.  As seems to be a habit with Nottm City Council, they were rather too quick to dispose of a lot of old buildings, in my view.  No matter, there is still a lot of character about the place, though I doubt it will maintain it's individuality if it has to contend with many more supermarkets, MacDonald's and the like.  It's a real problem which seems to be turning every town into a clone of every other. 

Last week I took a bit of a diversion on the way home from Cranage in Cheshire, to pass through Northwich.  I was expecting a quaint old half timbered Cheshire Town, and my hopes were raised as I drove over a canal bridge and saw the old Lion Salt Works next to the canal, which is now preserved as  museum. Cheshire was a major salt mining area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Salt_Works  However, the centre of Northwich was horrible.  A great clump of new build supermarkets, leisure centres and who knows what.  I don't object to new build per se, but this was just an ugly mess.

Anyway, to finish my ramble,. I now live 50 yards from open countryside and some tremendous views but with great road and public transport links which mean I can be in St Helens or Wigan in 20 minutes, or Liverpool in under an hour. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Just to fit the thread title... I've got a veruca on the ball of my left foot. First one I've had in my life. It appeared soon after the local swimming baths was redesigned into a stupid cubicle system, which is near impossible for staff to keep properly clean.  I've whacked it with a Siver Nitrate pencil but it came back.  Then had it frozen at the Doc's but it's back again.  Any tips?

Col

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

6 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Just had a glorious week in Northumberland. Legs ache from walking, back ache from scrambling over rocky coastlines, forehead peeling a bit. Oh, and my stomach seems to have expanded slightly despite eating sensibly. Lots of seafood and salads, but nice cakes too !:hungr:

Where in Northumberland Fly?

Newbiggin by the Sea. It was a freebie at a friends house. Not the most salubrious of areas, but can't complain, as we only used it as a base.

Visited Amble, Berwick, Eyemouth, Warkworth, Rothbury,Cresswell Beach, Morpeth, Hadrians Wall nearly to Carlisle, and of course several National Trust places. Most enjoyable and friendly locals, although I declined the temptation to wear a Forest T shirt !

• Like 1

Sounds like fun.  You were just  bit to the south of where we stayed in early May.  We got as far south as Alnmouth and north to Bamburgh.v Lovely part of the world, but tends to be a bit nippy..

51 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Just had a glorious week in Northumberland. Legs ache from walking, back ache from scrambling over rocky coastlines, forehead peeling a bit. Oh, and my stomach seems to have expanded slightly despite eating sensibly. Lots of seafood and salads, but nice cakes too !:hungr:

Stomach is fine FLY, just tell yersen your clothes have shrunk a bit !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just about getting over a lot of nasty side effects of antibiotics...they gave me every side effect known and more besides.

The capsules are called macrobid..i would never have taken them if i had read loads of reviews about them,i thought i was going to die,they knocked me off my feet for more than a week...and the worst bit was i missed some days of sunshine.

Same here 'Cranky'.hope you better mi-duck,......

Glad there's an improvement CP, and that you soon return to the word games, and Song Association topics 

DJ360 now dont think I've slipped another disc. The pain comes and goes and I know I try to do too much. When I go to see mum I have to pull up a chair thats the other side of the room and have to lean forward to talk to her as she refuses to wear her hearing aids. When I stand up again it takes a while to get straight. I have to have a regime doing all my exercises and walking. With 4 dogs to take care of in the mornings its not easy to do everything I want to never mind what I have to do.

But from tomorrow its exercise, walk, exercise , walk etc and of course swimming. can't do much at the moment though as they are tiling so dont want to muck it up. At least for tonight theyve left the steps free so I will be able to get in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had two different appointments today, first one with the Diabetes nurse for annual review, all good, stay as you are she said, blood glucose control is perfect (Hba1c) 40,  she even reduced one of my blood pressure tablets !

Second appointment the Practice nurse, annual mot all good for another year she said,

Jobs a gud un !

Praise the Lord.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Back still in a bad way. Went to a osteopath today. The verdict that my spine is completely blocked and in a very bad state ( which I already knew) but will persevere with my exercises etc and still go to see her. She has changed one of my exercises though saying it will help to unblock my spine. I dont think I'll ever be cured as its gone on for so long , my fault because I hadn't realised how serious it was . I'd never been ill until 7-8 yrs ago . Then everything went wrong. This last week I've been in tears more than once. No one would ever know that I was the top vaulter in the school . Didn't want to know about games but PE I loved it and belonged to the vaulting club. Oh for those days again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And don't always believe the experts !

• Like 1

My spelling has always been good, but for the past couple of years I sometimes get some of the letters mixed up or reversed.  iPad corrects the obvious ones like 'teh' for 'the' but I always have to check carefully before I post anything...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a lovely week to remember on the IOW last week & on the coach home was sneezing a bit, didn't help standing on the front of the ferry deck with only a short sleeved shirt & shorts on. Spent the weekend in bed with a wretched head cold & bit of a cough.

Ventured in to the Republic of Bulwell this morning with Mrs C, think I'll stay in bed again tomorrow.

Gets me out of drying the pots anyway  !

• Like 4
On 8/26/2018 at 1:13 PM, MargieH said:

My spelling has always been good, but for the past couple of years I sometimes get some of the letters mixed up or reversed.  iPad corrects the obvious ones like 'teh' for 'the' but I always have to check carefully before I post anything...

I've turned spell check on the Ipad off.  It was changing too much stuff.  Spelling was never my weak spot.  Typos more of a problem.  The Ipad was sometimes changing the whole meaning of a sentence.  Eg. KJ posted about draining boards last week.  I responded and it changed it to 'drawing'  board.  That's not going to offend anybody but it did change the meaning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went down with a cold starting last Monday.  Quite probably more than a coincidence that I was at No.1. Daughter's house the previous day with my lovely Grandkids.  So, it's been a full on Snotfest ever since, with my face and upper chest producing prodigious amounts of 'the green stuff'.  Each morning I wake up full of it.  Then it seems to ease a bit durng the day before a resumption of coughing throughout the evening.  No sign of it abating yet and I'm waiting to see if it decides to morph into acute sinusitis.. as these things so often do in my case.  Fortunately, last time I went to the Docs with Sinusitis, he gave me 15 Doxycycline capsules and advised that the first five or so would probably cure me.  He then advised take a couple more to be sure and keep the rest for the next time, as there would most likely be a next time..  A wise Doc.