Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Well thats good but its not the sensible thing to do is it,but saying that I did something stupid I have had to go on antibiotics for a chest infection and took them on an empty stomach was violently sick half an hour later.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Actually, whilst Benjamin could be forgiven for concluding that my actions were the result of Amitriptyline plus booze, they weren't.  (No offence taken Benj.. ;)  )...

It wasn't until last night that I took my first Amitriptyline 10 mg, with 2 pints of beer.

My normal consumption would be more like 4 pints, though I don't drink every day.

I felt fine when I went to bed.

I woke up this morning very late and very very fuzzy headed.  Far more than a couple of pints merits.  And I'm still 'fuzzy' 18 hours after taking the pill.

I could drink 6 or 7 pints and take 5 mg of Valium (for Vertigo) and still wake up fresher....

I'm not in enough pain to make this worthwhile.  I'll take the pain.

Col

• Upvote 2

Col, I never mentioned booze,.......and glad you know what I said was in jest (knew you would).......as regards amatriyline ive been taking it about two years and found it helps with my problem,,.......Pills are funny things and can be miraculous,like the one I now take ref' shaky hand,cured 99%.

Ain't noticed any side affects yet.............

• Upvote 1

Amitriptyline, just like all antidepressants doesn't seem to work for me.  That 10 mg dose was with me all day.  It's now about 26 hours since I had it and I've still got all the 'classic' side effects.  Yawning, spacey feeling, blurred vision, etc.  For most of today I was confused, tired and couldn't concentrate. I certainly wouldn't have trusted myself to drive.

Looked up the 'half life' of the stuff.  It seems it reduces by half in anything from 15 to 20 plus hours, but it 'metabolises' into substances which are just as active, which then turn into other substances which are also active.  Works out I'm going to need three and a half days to completely rid myself of that single dose.

To use the correct medical term 'Sod that!'  :)

Col

I had a brush with Amitryptiline due to depression, was the worst experience of my life, had terrible nightmares and I became quite violent during them !

My wife had to be very careful waking me as I would lash out uncontrollably while still asleep.

Then when awake there was the horrible feelings like a constant hangover, told my doc after a week and he took me off them straight away, worst drug ever !

Maybe I'm just sensitive to these drugs, don't know but now manage my depression with gentle exercise and keeping active.

I still get low at times but feel I can cope better as I age.

• Upvote 1

Banjo, mercifully I am not depressed now, but the last time I was, I made myself go out walking.  Sometimes all day, for miles and miles.  While out I'd just let my mind wander wherever it wanted.  I'd go from near ecstacy at the outdoor exerience, to being really down and literally crying as I walked.  But however it worked it seemed my mind worked through all the s**t and sorted itself out.

Col

• Upvote 2

One of our daughters suffers terribly with depression too, suppose it must be genetic as said before, I get it, and my mum was a chronic depressive in her earlier years.

Our daughter has found exercise  is a great mind helper, she visits the gym almost daily, not to bulk up but to strengthen her core muscles after a chronic back problem due to lifting a patient, she is a midwife, her outlook has improved so much with the extra physical activity.

She still needs tablets to keep her serotonin levels up, but is way better than she was before.

Depression is an awful thing, especially so in young people.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Talking of  Amitryptiline I have my second appointment with the Neurologist today at the QMC.

I wonder what delights he may have in store for me to sample after the electric shock testing I had last time I wonder ?

Never mind, a good excuse for a pint (or two) while I'm out !

3 hours ago, catfan said:

Never mind, a good excuse for a pint (or two) while I'm out !

Absolutely Mike, but maybe leave the HG till after the appointment?  :)

Hope it goes well.

Col

• Upvote 1

Back home and just catching up on everything, we have been away for a week; with very poor reception on WIFI. I have managed to get on line sometimes but not all that successful as my computer just kept going off. Hope everything went OK for you catfan at the hospital., and I'm sure a Hobgoblin or two wont go a miss. Take care Miduck.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well,where do I start?Our doctors surgery shut down in June,the doctor has resigned..we liked him ,always had time to listen and would phone you at home if need be.

For eight weeks I have been hobbling around with a very painful hip.In desperation I went to the local clinic(after waiting 3weeks to get an appointment)I was in there less than 5 mins  came out with a prescription for 2 different drugs.Had a really bad reaction and was in bed 3 days.The leaflet with both says 'may make fractures of wrists hips and spine more likely!!!!

I had all but 2 of the side effects. . But how do you know if you will get the side effects?i did read the leaflet as I always do.My daughter was going to phone for a doctor when I was ill I said don't you dare I dont want pumping with more drugs.So I still have the pain,and the drugs never gave any relief.:wacko:

Amitryptiline also contains a muscle relaxant. I was prescribed it (a) for back pains, and then (b) for shingles. (I began to wonder if the doctor had shares in the manufacturer!) I was told to start with one (10mg) at night, and gradually increase this to FIVE. Well, I never got beyond two at a time. Not exactly nightmares, but the most peculiar and unsettling impressions in my sleep, and fit for nothing before 10 in the morning. If I'd taken five, I would have been like a zombie for a week at a time. I persevered (with two) for a few days, but eventually I thought, "Blow this for a game of soldiers" and finished with them. Lousy stuff.

• Upvote 1

I have a number of friends who are on that stuff, Stephen. Their ailments range from arthritis to depression to just about anything in the medical book. I get the impression that GPs dispense them like sweeties.

I'm afraid I'm very suspicious of medication of any kind and, yes, I know it's easy for me to say that because I'm not on any, apart from a little self medication with shiraz or merlot of a weekend. When I see the vast amount of pills some people take, I do wonder what all those little capsules get up to when they get together! :mellow:

• Upvote 1

The little beggars breed and cause untold chaos. I prefer my friend Jameson's to sort out my ailments, but occasionally I need paracetamol, especially first thing in a morning ! 

Right on, Jill.  Sometimes I feel like there is a real effort to cull the older folks.  On the very rare occasions I have been to a dr. Here.  They ask what meds you are taking.  Then they react in a sort of amazed shock, when you say 'none.'  Next step is to prescribe some.  Maybe I'll really need a dr. one of these days, but not if I can help it.  I know some of them are decent caring folks, but some are not far removed from witch doctors.

• Upvote 2

Regarding pills, my sis in law is 60, looks 80, smoked since 12, and still does, irregular meals, and mainly junk food, irregular sleep patterns. She only has a settled lifestyle when she stays with us. She'll have four roll ups and an hours coughing fit. Then uses her inhaler, 3 cups of tea laced with sugar, takes about 10 pills, then roll ups throughout the day. She spends most  of the rest of the day slumped over the bottom half of the kitchen door wretching and spluttering. 

There's a perfect example of a drain on the NHS........ Pass me the gun !

• Upvote 1

Witnessed a bloke on Leybourne quite literally cough his guts up...he was a roll up man- filled a bin right in front of me during Nicholas Parsons...

Wouldn't have minded but we were half way thru' an ' Instant Sale'!!

You obviously keep your throat well lubricated. That's the answer !

• Upvote 1