Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

579. Probably too late now but I once read at the first inkling of a cold squeeze a drop of hydrogen peroxide in your lughole.  Keep your head over the sink so that it stays in there for approx ' one minute then do the other one.  I've done it a time or two when I started to get that tingly feeling in nose or throat and it seemed to work.  Of course one can never prove these things but it doesn't do any harm to try.

Edited to add:. If that don't work go with the original plan.  :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is a new one on me.  Wednesday afternoon I had two crowns fitted.  One was a 'normal' crown on the stump of a disintegrated tooth.  The other, next along, was a 'post' crown fitted onto a tooth which had sheared off level with the gum.  This had been root canal filled some years ago.

By Thursday evening I was getting a little dull ache on the 'post crown' tooth and also realising that it wasn't  the right shape and was interfering with my 'bite'.

By late last night I was in a lot of pain.

By this morning I was back at the dentists.  He has adjusted the crowns and decided that I have a 'Sprained Tooth', caused by the incorrect bite.  This is also called 'inflammation of the peridontal ligament'. All I know is that it hurts like hell and isn't responding in the slightest to Paracetamol.  It will apparently get better within the next week.. or eight weeks, or three months.. depending what you read.

Whoopee...  :(

Col

Really sorry your having toothache and problems with your new crowns Col,I can imagine what you are going through. It is not that straight forward having crowns fitted is it. I hope your pain settles quickly now your dentist has adjusted them. How the heck do they manage to move a crown when it is on, as they are supposed to stay put for years?

Last October, crown procedures started for me as well, what with Warfarin problems, the temporary crown breaking off and taking most of my own toothe with it, heart procedures cancelled and then carried out at a later date, recovery and Christmas, I am still with toothache, a stub built to replace where it broke off. I am having my crown dealt with at Birmingham Dental Hospital, who are now going to be my main dentist as mine is retiring. On Thursday, I saw my dentist as I have pain every waking minute, she has contacted the hospital for an emergency appointment, there is a good chance now after all this waiting that a crown might not be an option anymore. 

My son has had two front  crowns (following an accident) for over twenty years and never a problem, so I know that it all goes smoothly for some crowns. I have to admit, months of continuous toothache, no matter how mild, does  bring you down. Fingers crossed for us both Col that we get sorted out soon.

Col and carni, so sorry about your dental problems.... hope they will soon be sorted out.  I've got 2 crowns - one was fitted over 20 years ago with a spike that plugs in!! and that has only fallen out twice.  Just took it to the dentist who cemented it in again straightaway.  The other is fixed over part of my existing tooth and although it felt 'wrong' for a few weeks it's fine now.  

• Upvote 1

Morning ladies!  Carni. 'months of toothache' really isn't on. You certainly don't need it along with your other issues.  Hope you get sorted soon.

Margie.  Thanks for your sympathies.  He didn't move the crowns.  What he did was use some stuff which I think they call 'articulation paper'.  Put it between my teeth and made me bite, move my jaw around etc.  This marks the high spots on the teeth. He then just filed the teeth down to , as he put it. "almost take the offending tooth out of the bite".  Might have saved me a lot of pain if he'd done this properly in the first place.. but I'll leave that for now.  So now when I eat, it doesn't feel wrong, though I am avoiding eating on it at all at present. I'm sure all the biting and drilling 'insulted' the tooth even more and might explain the following.

Pain got worse last night.  Having not slept Thurs night I desperately wanted to sleep. I finally went to bed last night with a couple of beers, a couple of Mg of Diazepam and a significant dose of Brandy inside me hoping to 'zonk' myself out.  Was still rolling around hours later in agony, cursing the Dentist and mentally plotting how to sue him.  Eventually, at about 4 a.m. and in a cold sweat, I got up, wrapped myself in my dressing gown, and swallowed 400 Mg of Ibuprofen. Went back to bed still tightly wrapped up.

There are many reasons why I really shouldn't take Ibuprofen, but next thing I knew it was 10:00 am, I was much more rested and best of all, the pain was gone!

I'm still very much aware of the offending tooth and am trying my best not to even go near it with my tongue, much less bite on it.  But so far so good.

No peanuts for me for a while ( I do love 'em!) but hopefully the worst is over.

Col

thumbsup

Just read your post Col and can identify with your description of rolling your jaw around on the paper to find the high spots. I have had that done after fillings. Ibuprofen is a no no for me as it interacts with Warfarin; which is a wonderful life saver but you have quite a few restrictions. Paracetamol is very good but only up to a limit, sometimes no relief and other times the ache breaks back through after just half hour or so.

I also am a nut fan, I eat them throughout the day every day.

Good luck col, hope your relief from pain improves quickly.

Hi Carni,

Ibuprofen is out for me too, at least for frequent use. It doesn't sit well with my heart meds, history of stroke and tendency to gastritis, but it worked for me last night.

Actually the last time I took Ibuprofen was when I had to go to A&E with what turned out to be a dose of infected piles!  ( I can't spell Heammo..haemmhorr..you know.. ;) )    Normal prescription treatments had failed and I could barely walk.  After the Doc had given me the most painful and degrading examination in the history of medicine :blink:, he prescribed Ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, and an antibiotic.  I protested against Ibuprofen, but his response was.  "Up to you.. but what would you rather have,,  the agony you're in now, or a bit of indigestion?  He was right.  Ibuprofen killed the pain in hours.

However, someone on another site has just recommended Boots Oragel Extra Strength, which is 20% Benzocaine. Just rubs onto the affected area, a bit like Bonjela but much more powerful.  They sell it at the discretion of the Pharmacist.  I'm going out for some soon.

Col

• Upvote 1

P.S.  The Oragel is for Gums.. not piles....  :laugh:

Sorry not been around for a while had cold then cough and had to have antibios for chest infection and then tummy bug (won't go into details) and the inter web thingy been playing up,shall have a read to see if I've missed anything .God bless all.

• Upvote 4

I've got a very sore Achilles' tendon (left) so I'm limping a bit - it's not excruciating but it's beginning to wear me down a bit.... had it for over a week now.  Doing the 'stair' exercises a few times a day but having to use a couple of big books instead because we don't have any stairs!  

Hope you feel better soon folks!

Col

Dental Hospital appointment at Birmingham 9am this morning. Only about 14miles from home but because of heavy traffic it took 2hrs, we left at 7am and only just made it! The appointment lasted three hours, I wasn't aware it was a double one. Only 4 more appointments and then hopefully treatment over for a while.11/4 hrs journey back, (not so much traffic). Mega toothache now after all the prodding and pushing. Just sat down now ready for a rest. Two mugs of tea, Cucumber Sandwich and a dose of Nottstalgia .....Bliss.............And Relax.:)

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Did not quite go to plan yesterday, had to return today because after the laser job my eye pressure went up instead of coming down, all OK today tho after Mrc C applied eye drops every hour (not when sleeping).

I was surprised what the laser treatment consisted of expecting a slight sting in the eyes, but no it was like somone hammering a blunt six inch nail in my eye, three times in each eye ! That's enough to make yer eyes water in itself, but there again, God is Good !!

• Upvote 2

I wish you all well.

Seems to me that many of us here are of a 'certain age', when things go wrong.. bits fall off.. etc.

Despite a very damaging heart attack 20 years ago and a couple of minor strokes since, I am remarkably well most of the time.

I looked in my local paper yesterday and was quite shocked at the number of people dying in their late 50s and early 60s.

At 68 I'm feeling very fortunate.

Col