Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

One of my BILs was planted in Bulwell cemetery yesterday, aged 69, no age really.

Talking of ailments now Mrs Cs turn to be not 100%, she has a awful "chesty" cough, started with us both catching a bit of a cold the other week on Merseyside, mine went after a couple of days or so but hers gone on to her chest.

I've been promoted to "mash lad" today !

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

when things go wrong.. bits fall off.. etc.

I'm going to be wondering for the rest of the day, which bits are falling off. Had a quick feel of mesen, and everything appears to still be there!

• Upvote 3

Sorry to hear Mrs. C is under the weather.  Better get mashing, Mike.  Hope she's soon purring again.

Col.  605.  Interesting observation.  I have noticed over the years that the 50s decade is dangerous for many men.  My dad died at fifty four.  I can think of many more who didn't make it through that decade. Seems like if we survive that period we are good for a few more years.  In reading the obits they have a section that just list deaths and ages each day.  It averages six to ten folks.  I am finding that most days at least I think up to seventy percent are younger than me.  A sobering realization. :(

As far as parts falling off.  I don't think I'm missing any, but they don't all work like they used to.  I'm talking about me EARS, alright!!!?  smile2  At 72 I'm living on borrowed time.

• Upvote 1

I hope the Catfans both recover very quickly, and that they are both soon out and about.

I've not posted on here regarding my back and right knee which have both been troubling me for a couple of months. Both are relatively insignificant compared to other people's ailments.

After an X-ray, my knee is just mild wear and tear. I was prescribed painkillers for my back today and hopefully there'll be an improvement. I have got to keep up my exercises though (ugh) 

I was told today that I was in quite good nick for a 71 year old, so I'm quite elated..... I shan't let it go to my head though !  LOL

• Upvote 2

Exactly Mike. I never realised when I started this topic just how much suffering there is even amongst our little gang. 

It gets a bit depressing at times, and I've become somewhat blasé about others and their ailments. It's only when something goes wrong with me that I appreciate just how much other people's problems are more serious.

I'm 71, and in a bit of pain now and again. It's not going to stop me living for goodness sake. I'm sooo lucky.

• Upvote 3

I was well behaved at my blood test this morning. Young medical student asked if he could do my blood sample. Told him I was needle phobic. He asked if I would prefer to lie down! Felt slightly ashamed!

He couldn't find a vein and, in the end, a nurse had to find one for him in my other arm! I don't part with it easily! Thought I was very brave so treated myself to lunch.

• Upvote 5

I had bloodwork done last week, and the vampire, sorry lab tech said, did you drink much water. Knowing I was supposed to fast, I said only a few sips. Wrong! Should have drank a lot by all accounts, makes your veins stand out more. You live and learn. 

Just got an appointment with a new eye doctor for tomorrow.  Nothing serious, just a routine exam, although I think I will probably need new glasses.  Haven't had any for a couple of years and things are not quite as sharp as they were.

What bugs me here is the constant insurance issues.  My health insurance covers routine eye exams and I had a good optician for several years.  Called him the other day and he no longer takes my insurance.  So we go on the coverage roundabout again.  The new guy takes my insurance.  To say I am not fond of insurance companies would be putting it mildly! :angry2:

• Upvote 3

I had to drop off a urine sample at the doctors this morning. I felt embarrassed as I handed it over, as it looked strong, and was still warm. I apologised and said that I'd washed my hands. LOL

They'd say you were as fit as a butchers dog....

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I had bloodwork done last week, and the vampire, sorry lab tech said, did you drink much water. Knowing I was supposed to fast, I said only a few sips. Wrong! Should have drank a lot by all accounts, makes your veins stand out more. You live and learn. 

Doesn't water it down?  Lol.

• Upvote 1

Because of my problems I have to give blood quite often and more often than not there will be 4/6 little phials to fill. We have such a problem most times, I end up with bruises on both arms and end up feeling ill and feel faint because of all the squiggling about in my arms to find the vein. Sometimes I have not had any fluid for about 10/12hrs before my tests. No one has ever told me I can drink water! That will explain why they can't find a vein, if I am dehydrated. I will have a serious talk with the nurse next time I am due for tests. I feel a bit angry :angry2: because just that bit of information could have made it a lot less of an ordeal. I feel like I have learnt something very helpful in this thread. Thank you miducks.:)

• Upvote 3

Like the bloke who was a bit worried about a medical problem he thought he had & submitted a sample of his wife's.

A short while later he receoved a phone call & was told "congratulations Mr Smith, you are three months pregnant" !smile2

• Upvote 1

#616 Jill

Whenever I have to go for a blood test I can't look at all, I think I'd faint watching the blood coming out of my arm.  However, following surgery last year I had to inject myself every day for a couple of weeks with an anti-coagulant. This was definitely something that took a lot of courage I can tell you!  I used to hover the needle over my stomach plucking up the courage to stab it in :wacko:   I was so happy when I'd used up all the needles and they were safely in my special little yellow bucket.  Hope I never need to do that for Diabetes

• Upvote 3

I've donated blood many times over the years, and always watched the little bag fill up. I found that if I clenched my fist, the blood flowed quicker, and I got my tea and biscuits faster !

The last few posts have made me laugh and remember a few things. Like Carni I have my blood tests every 12 weeks and they take 6 phials. I always offer the same arm as its easier for me and they can always find a vein, but as the nurses know me they suggest the other arm as the veins if over used get hard and it gets more difficult to take blood. Sometimes I use the other arm but dont like it. When they have difficultly I can see them looking at my hand and halfway up my arm, so clench my fist double quick and ask them to try again. I hate the blood taken from my hand its so uncomfortable. Carni if you get bruises afterwards try to not fold your arm as most nurses tell you , just press hard down with the cotton ball ....result a clean arm.

Yes Lizzie I too had to do that 3 times. The first time the nurse said " just a little pinch and stab" .....oh yes but its the stab that takes some courage. Even the last time I was very nervous still of injecting myself especially in the stomach.

• Upvote 1

You're braver than me Lizzie. I know I couldn't do that!

I cannot understand why drug addicts do what they do. I have nightmares about needles. As far as I am concerned, life is for people who can't face drugs!  :wacko:

• Upvote 1