Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Well here's a bit of good news to start the week.  

Last week my eye doctor diagnosed me with early stage Glaucoma.  He prescribed some eye drops, which were horrible.  My eyes felt like I had sand in them and turned red.  He gave another prescription which did not have that effect.

Yesterday while playing the Organ I was making more mistakes than usual.  I found if I moved closer to the music stand things improved but it's hard to play with your nose six inches from the music.  :(

Anyway I finished my playing and sat down to watch the fake news.  I noticed that the tv seemed blurred.  I took my glasses off and it seemed clearer.  :wacko:

Long story short.  I can see at least as well over distance without my glasses.  I need to move closer to things like the computer or a book or music to see them well.  It's like my whole focal length has changed.   I'm hoping I might only need a different prescription for reading.  That would be great.  Time will tell.  Next follow up appointment in June.  We will see!  No pun intended. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Mrs C a bit off cog today, awake most of the night,coughing.This morning she  has a croaky voice & a high temperature etc.

I've been hastily promoted to chief tea-lad & general skivvy until further notice.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't have anyone better to look after her,get well soon Sue, the gardening awaits

Rog

• Upvote 1

You call that a promotion Catfan. Get her up and running ASAP and tell her that you can't possibly cope with the drastic changes in lifestyle......... Then duck quickly !

• Upvote 2

loppylugs

Glaucoma changes the shape of the eye*, so its not surprising that you have found an improvement with the drops. That can continue for a surprising amount of time. Even then the surgery is not drastic. 

*Glaucoma is increasing pressure in the eye. It used to be a blinding condition even some decades ago, but it is not now. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks M D.  That is essentially what the eye doctor said.

If just surprised me that changes seemed to occur so quickly after starting the drops.  If they continue so much the better.  I will no doubt have a better understanding after next appointment in June after a month on the drops.

Another blood test tomorrow, sodium level low they reckon ? Yet we are told to cut back on the salt, can't bleddy win !

"Low blood sodium is common in older adults, especially those who are hospitalized or living in long-term care facilities. Signs and symptoms of hyponatremia can include altered personality, lethargy and confusion. Severe hyponatremia can cause seizures, coma and even death."

Great.

• Upvote 1

Loppylugs, the pressure should return to normal. They test it by putting that eye cup on your eyeball. Its not pleasant, but it works. Its good that you got an immediate pressure loss. The quicker the treatment the longer it is going to last. 

• Upvote 1

Catfan, 

Just putting salt on food is not always detrimental, but it can do horrific things to your blood pressure. Just putting salt on food doesn't always result in a balance of sodium chloride in the blood. A bag of chips certainly wont harm you though! 

• Upvote 1

I know an elderly chap who suffers from problems arising out of low sodium levels. Lovely fellow but he has been hospitalized on several occasions due to the confusion and personality changes caused by this condition. Scary really because you'd think in this day and age we all ingest too much salt. I never put salt on my food and try not to eat processed meals because, to me, it just tastes like pure salt!

• Upvote 1

Blood chemistry in the elderly can be complex. 

Low sodium levels is not always a lack of salt in the diet, but the kidneys doing strange things. It is almost always correctable. Again a bag of chips is not going to do any harm. 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've exactly kept secret that I've recently had a few 'wobbles' which I mentioned to the Doc.

He referred me for a load of Cardiology tests.

So far I've had a 24 hour ECG, an Echocardiogram, yet more 'bloods' and a couple of cardi scans both with and without a 'heart stressing' drug.

Anyway.. a letter today from the Doc's asking me to make a 'routine-non urgent' appointment with the Doc to discuss results.

Which is encouraging....  :)

Col

• 3 weeks later...
On May 9, 2017 at 5:59 AM, carni said:

I am with you on that benj. I have had a lot of dealings with hospitals this last few years and I truly believe the attitude of the Doctors and Nurses can actually make you feel worse especially if you are frightened or concerned about something as your young son was at the time. Great to see that all turned out OK for him in the end.

On May 9, 2017 at 6:18 AM, benjamin1945 said:

thanks for that Carnie.......yes me lad turned out good in all ways.......he's single got good job and his own swish Apartment.........he likes the Ladies and as a great sense of humor,its always a pleasure to see him..........I think Doctors ought to have a sense of humor too,.........must admit where I go now I see a different one nearly every time (locums) and by and large they are all great.........my favourite is/was a Latvian bloke,and he told you it how it was mostly with a chuckle,a proper mans man,you could tell him owt...........And as you say Carnie their attitude does make a difference.

Even the Lady ones I get you can joke with..........one recently gave me an Examination (rubber glove' you know) and while she was down there,i did mention that 'we had not been properly introduced,..........and she came back with 'doesn't matter' I now know you quite well.........

I work in a hospital and in 2 specialties were I typically see patients at their worst, I am a passionate advocate for patients and their families, I look after them the same way I'd hope my own family would be cared for, no less. My job is not to just to do my job, it's to go above and beyond if it is in my power to do so and to be present & sincere.

Sometimes people forget to look after the patient, the person, not just the ailment... like making up a gift bag of bubble bath, tea bags, and smellys for the wife of a patient who is so consumed with looking after her husband, she feels guilty looking after herself. Or running out before my shift starts to buy denture adhesive and the morning paper for a lovely old gent who's wife lives miles away and can barely get around herself, let alone visit him in the hospital.

I frequently have a good ol laugh with my patients, to the point that colleagues ask if we know each other, especially when it's a fellow Brit and we get bantering!

• Upvote 6

That's very reassuring ABA. I'm sure many of us and certainly myself have had negative experiences when elderly relatives are in hospital. For some years I volunteered as an advocate for the elderly through Age Concern and was often horrified at the way their needs were ignored. We'll all be old one day if we live long enough and no one wants to be treated like that. Long may your work continue! :rolleyes:

I am once again in the middle of a scarey health time. I wont go into detail but as you all know only to well by now (Cos i'm mardy and keep tellin' yer) I have a heart problem. 

I now have another that has reared its ugly head in another part of the bod. I received the dreaded letter last week and have been called back in on Thursday for more tests and examinations. True to form; I have gone totally to pieces all ready. Hence the reason I am not posting much, my sense of humour seems to have took flight. You know  Tony Hancock in 'The Blood Donor' That is how I feel now, mardy s.d am I.

Anyway reading ABAs post reminded me of the thread I started once 'That friendly smile' I think it's called that, and I truly hope I get looked after by people with ABAs attitude, because it means so much to us scaredy cats and being permanently in the state of 'Flight or Fight' just now, I could do with lots of ABAs around on Thursday. :)

• Upvote 10

Sad but true, Jill, I have heard many stories of elderly mistreatment, it's terrible isn't it? 

I have always considered it a privilege to care for people when they are at their most vulnerable. I have never understood the mindset that to care and act on it somehow how leaves one in a deficit... far from it, it's life's greatest reward.

Good for you for volunteering with Age Concern!

I don't know you, carni, and you don't know me.. but I read a number of your posts prior to joining and you sound to me like a lovely women with a great heart (where it matters most) and a stellar sense of humor.

All I know is this, that having courage does not mean not being afraid, no ma'am. I have seen people be big scaredy cats and still be the bravest people I ever met. Being vunerable is not a weakness, it's takes a strong person to be in that place... You'll be in my thoughts on Thursday.

• Upvote 4

Really sorry to hear of your new health problems, Carni. There should be a society for us scaredy cats...I could be its president because they don't come any worse than me! :wacko:

I think you're a very brave lady, Carni. Look at what you've endured, whereas I'd have skidaddled and hidden in the nearest cupboard! I'm already foaming at the mouth because the surgery will want some more of my life blood in August to see what my dicky thyroid is up to! 

We're all thinking of you, Carni, and wishing you well. There's a monster of a cream cake waiting for you somewhere!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Sorry about your new health scare carnie, its ok being a scaredy cat,i am one, but like my dad always told me if you are scared but still do it then you are brave,,,,,if you see what i mean 

• Upvote 3