Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Commo, I am so sorry to read your post, perhaps your daughter ought to make a phone call to the consultants secretary and stress the situation. I do think four months since discovery that your daughters cancer has returned and no follow up with an operation date is diabolical.

I have found that sometimes a phone call can get things moving. I do hope her letter comes today, if not, it is worth trying the phone call, the letter could be in the outbox on the secretary's desk waiting to be signed by the consultant and in my case, with the call, I got a result on the phone, and I was told a letter of confirmation would be in the post waiting for me when I return from my holiday tomorrow.

My thoughts are with you and your daughter and  sincerely hope she recieves her letter today.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Commo, as Carni says...and I hope your daughter will soon get her appointment x

• Upvote 2

All my hospital consultant's letters say " Not signed but checked to save time" or words to that effect. Still have to chase them up sometimes.

The eye clinic at the QMC are very busy all the time, still not received my urgent appt yet.

• Like 1

Having been in a similar position I can understand your daughters preoccupation and of course her family. I agree with previous posts that you should phone even if the date isnt in the very near furure, which I hope it is ( in the very near future) .Its a worrying time for everyone concerned and if the oncology dept is like ours here they are very understanding and helpful. I wish her all the best of the best for an early appointment and recovery

• Upvote 2

980.  So sorry to hear of this situation Commo.  Not much I can say about the health care situation from this side of the pond.  I do hope that things can be sorted out quickly and she can get the help she needs.  My thoughts are with you.

Thanks for all your comments, we don't feel quite so alone with your good wishes.

Nicky `phoned yesterday and was told by the hospital that she hadn't heard because the doctor's secretary was on holiday!! There was a letter in the post confirming her admission to the ward on Monday. I find it reassuring that the NHS have such faith in the postal system that a letter posted on Friday would definitely be delivered the next day. It's somewhat disconcerting that the system relies on just one person to send a letter or make contact for something so vital especially after so many delays and deferments. They apologised (AGAIN) for the oversight, so that's all good then isn't it?!

• Upvote 1

I don't call 'The secretary being on holiday' any kind of excuse for letters not being sent out especially urgent ones like  Nickys, and to rely on the letter arriving Saturday to give just Sunday to prepare for admission the following day. Shameful and hard to believe. It makes me so angry,the excuse is so feeble. If it is true, then there must be more patients waiting anxiously for their own letters to arrive? I have had similar excuses given to me in the past. Do they think we are so easily fobbed off. My best wishes for Nicky on Monday.

11 hours ago, Commo said:

Thanks for all your comments, we don't feel quite so alone with your good wishes.

Nicky `phoned yesterday and was told by the hospital that she hadn't heard because the doctor's secretary was on holiday!! There was a letter in the post confirming her admission to the ward on Monday. I find it reassuring that the NHS have such faith in the postal system that a letter posted on Friday would definitely be delivered the next day. It's somewhat disconcerting that the system relies on just one person to send a letter or make contact for something so vital especially after so many delays and deferments. They apologised (AGAIN) for the oversight, so that's all good then isn't it?!

Why couldn't they just pick up the phone & give a call ? No need to send mail.

• Upvote 1

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience of the NHS  has been excellent.  A year ago I was an emergency case and operated on within 2 weeks. On Thursday just gone I was back in QMC getting tidied up so I can hopefully lead a normal life again.  My consultant told me at the start of June that he would be able to perform the operation 'in July'. I was called in for Pre-Op in June and then at the beginning of July I rang his secretary who told me I was in the diary for 27th July and a letter was about to go out in the post to me.   

I'm here on a ward being well cared for and recovering. I have nothing but praise for the system.

• Upvote 13

Brilliant, we hear far too much negativity regarding the NHS. We'd be a bleddy site worse off without it !

Good to hear Lizzie............all the very best to a lovely lady...............

Lizzie I hope all goes well with your recovery.

I thought your comments most positive.

Sadly the dismantling of the NHS continues and will be replaced with a privatised market place ...............

This will be OK for those who have a few bob but not for the majority.

Still .........the votes were cast and we reap the consequences.

So pleased you are recovering well, Lizzie.  Sorry we can't make a visit to see you this time xx

Everything went well for you Lizzie and Mr R said you were in good spirits keep in up. Was going to phone tonight but just got home from the wedding full of rice and glitter. Wedding was at 4.30 pm its now 12.30 am . Had a terrific storm but fortunately it came as we got inside the restaurant. 

So pleased to hear that you're doing well and have had a really good experience with the system Lizzie. It does seem to be that the Trust area where you are treated makes a vast difference to the care received, I had nothing but praise for the way Mrs C was treated and cared for in Newcastle, so different from this area.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all for your good wishes, it really does help to know that you care.

# 999 Catfan    The only way I shall be at this next meet-up is if you all gather around my hospital bed as I think I'll be here beyond next weekend :(

• Upvote 4
14 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

The only way I shall be at this next meet-up is if you all gather around my hospital bed as I think I'll be here beyond next weekend :(

Yes but you've now given us an excuse for another meet-up a few weeks later when you're fully recovered.

• Upvote 5