Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

In our village, we have a 'touch screen' to say when you have  arrived, who you are seeing and what time.  The nurse or doctor usually comes to the waiting room to collect you,  although sometimes it's on the loudspeaker system.   When making an appointment and you say it's urgent, we are triaged by a doctor.   Otherwise it's 3 weeks for an appointment.

The Lowdham surgery has two separate practices due to a fall out some years ago. They share the same counter but have different receptionists. They other side has the touch screen, my side doesn’t. I don’t know if they speak to one another. An absolutely crazy situation. Other half of family go to Southwell which seems a more switched on setup.

My new GP Practice:

http://www.garswoodsurgery.co.uk/

A far better website than my previous Doc's too.  Loads of useful info .. and GP earnings are there for all to see.

My 'nominated' Doc is the lovely Dr Anna.. pictured.

Back in the 'dim and distant', I used to go to the surgery in Boowul. The one along main street. I think the building is stil there, between the 'Monkey', and Merchant Street.  IIRC it had a double bay front and  a low wall where railings had been cut off. ( Wartime thing?). The Docs I recall were Murray, Reid and Stilman.  Probably last went there about 1967.

Odd, because looking now the double bay with the low wall is Shelton's Solicitors and there's a 'Springfield Medical Centre' next door.  Maybe they moved.  Maybe I'm confused ( Surely not Col!!!  )

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0035435,-1.1952196,3a,60y,335.96h,91.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa9Vf3-yqwkyo-23Tr8ynzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Oh well...

Col

I don't begrudge them so long as they don't ( As one Doc once did.. )complain to me that they are broke.  It's not easy to get the qualifications for entry to medecine, much less get through the training. Takes 10 -12 years after A levels.

It used to hack me off that although I was qualified to the same level as a teacher, and spent just as long training ( Degree/Post Grad/ Probationary Year), and worked with the same kids, my salary was around 2/3rds that of a teacher.  And I didn't get six weeks off in the Summer etc.  That said though.. I didn't especially want to be a teacher and I placed a lot of value on having a job I enjoyed.

Some people seem to chase the money. Others chase job satisfaction etc.  I suppose the real trick is to get both...

• Like 1

Many Doctors these days, like Vets prefer to do locum work. Choose what days & hours you want to work. If they can afford to live on three or four days pays then good luck to em !

Our Dr is on first come first served. He did try to organise a ticket service but found people were going to the surgery early taking a ticket then  going to do their shopping or whatever. Returning late and insisting they go first. It only lasted a week. Two days a week hes in surgery morning and evening 5 day week but he does a regular service at the care home my mum is in.

There are 3-4 drs in the village

41 minutes ago, catfan said:

Many Doctors these days, like Vets prefer to do locum work. Choose what days & hours you want to work. If they can afford to live on three or four days pays then good luck to em !

But not such good luck for those who wait 3 weeks for an appointment. Doesn't seem to be a vocation anymore.

No jobs, Benefit Office on the doorstep, lots of social housing. Most residents smoke so a ready market for illegal fags & rolling tobacco. good transport links to the city. Hand car washes, need I go on ?

40 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Bulwell has an immigration problem? What’s the attraction?:(

Lovely people salt of the earth,,friendly,,down to earth,,tell you stuff to ya face,,don't pretend to be rich,,Ay-up mi ducks all over,,if you want to fight no problem,,all ways somebody to lend you a tenner,,mind you if you do'nt return it on time you could have a problem,,......when we had the business most of the staff were from Bulwell,some great characters,,and the ones i sacked still greet me with affection ,,great old buildings,,a lovely river setting,,Market 2 days a week,,as catfan said,,good transport into City and beyond,,bus and rail stations,swimming baths,,two local lovely Parks,,Kentucky,,Mcdonolds,,Tesco,, Lidl,,Morrisons,,still a few little private retailers,, 3 Doctors surgery's,,2 Dentists,,3 Barbers,,Free Parking,, all my family originated there,,not a bad un among un,,      what more can i say Phil,sell up in your leafy lanes,come and join us...........if you got the bottle...........lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Lovely people salt of the earth,,friendly,,down to earth,,tell you stuff to ya face,,don't pretend to be rich,,Ay-up mi ducks all over,,if you want to fight no problem,,all ways somebody to lend you a tenner,,mind you if you do'nt return it on time you could have a problem,,......when we had the business most of the staff were from Bulwell,some great characters,,and the ones i sacked still greet me with affection ,,great old buildings,,a lovely river setting,,Market 2 days a week,,as catfan said,,good transport into City and beyond,,bus and rail stations,swimming baths,,two local lovely Parks,,Kentucky,,Mcdonolds,,Tesco,, Lidl,,Morrisons,,still a few little private retailers,, 3 Doctors surgery's,,2 Dentists,,3 Barbers,,Free Parking,, all my family originated there,,not a bad un among un,,      what more can i say Phil,sell up in your leafy lanes,come and join us...........if you got the bottle...........lol

There used to be a rather good grammar school on Highbury Road where I spent seven years of my life so I do have some claim to residency. Daytime only of course - it wasn’t a boarding school! Here we’ve  got no shop, no bus service, a mile to walk to the station. We do have a nice old church but I’m not a member, we have a nice pub, but beer gives me gout, so I’m not paying silly money for soft drinks. We do have a nice river, the Trent, ten minutes walk away and we do have picturesque countryside. Southwell, with all its attractions, is only ten minutes away and Newark is twenty. I’ve lived round here since 1962 but still don’t feel a true country person - still an incomer. We’re just a commuter village now. All the old country characters have gone up into the sky - or wherever they do go.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Fair enough Phil,,its whatever we get used to,,and i do think your area is lovely,,just not for me i suppose,,ive lived in area's similar,,and still visit my ex wife in one of them,,she loves it and talks Posh now,,i have to keep returning to remind her of Bulwell..........i know she likes it really,,......still calls me Darling when others are about,, then when they've gone gives me some right proper speak.........bless her..........lol

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

My new GP Practice:

http://www.garswoodsurgery.co.uk/

A far better website than my previous Doc's too.  Loads of useful info .. and GP earnings are there for all to see.

My 'nominated' Doc is the lovely Dr Anna.. pictured.

Back in the 'dim and distant', I used to go to the surgery in Boowul. The one along main street. I think the building is stil there, between the 'Monkey', and Merchant Street.  IIRC it had a double bay front and  a low wall where railings had been cut off. ( Wartime thing?). The Docs I recall were Murray, Reid and Stilman.  Probably last went there about 1967.

Odd, because looking now the double bay with the low wall is Shelton's Solicitors and there's a 'Springfield Medical Centre' next door.  Maybe they moved.  Maybe I'm confused ( Surely not Col!!!  )

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0035435,-1.1952196,3a,60y,335.96h,91.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa9Vf3-yqwkyo-23Tr8ynzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Oh well...

Col

Dr Stillman was my Doc til I got rid quick. Trying to get a sick note was like asking a Scot for a loan..................No bleddy chance ! he was an ex army Doctor !

I changed to a Scot, Dr Miller an outstanding Dr truly top notch. I think Mary 1947 was his receptionist at one time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Our Dr is on first come first served. He did try to organise a ticket service but found people were going to the surgery early taking a ticket then  going to do their shopping or whatever. Returning late and insisting they go first. It only lasted a week.

When I've visited Italy, I noticed that the concept of a queue is alien to Italians. It's a British thing really, waiting your turn in an orderly manner!

• Like 1

As I see it, Bulwell ceased to be the self contained town of old in the late 60s/early 70s when the 'powers that be' decided to expand the population massively by developing areas such as Seller's Wood, Snape Wood etc.  Add to this the extra populations close by in Bestwood/Bestwood Park/Rise Park and you start to see the problem. 

As I understand it, most of the new population came from other areas of Nottm, where slum clearance etc., was creating a need for new housing.  In effect, Bulwell became a 'New Town', in all but name...where an existing and often ancient residential settlement was used as a 'nucleus', for a much larger development.  I see it as a rather less drastic, but similar creation to Skelmersdale in Lancs, Winsford  in Cheshire, Runcorn in Cheshire, etc.

That said, Basford, Arnold, Radford etc., have all had their own share of 'development'.

In many ways, I'm pleasantly surprised that the Boowul 'spirit' has survived as well as it has.

• Like 1

Considering Ben's and Phil's comment s on the virtues of a small town Bulwell in comparison to living in the country. There is good and bad in both. I lived close to Bulwell and although never used to visit it regularly I cant say that I "know" it very well  so cant vouch what its like living there . We are all different and I for one love living in the country. We live in the middle of grape vines surrounded by other fruit trees and in the evenings we enjoy the sweet smell of lime trees which are in abundance here. Its quiet apart from the summer when there are loads of tractors around and also for the vendemmia when the roads smell like a brewery. We have fields opposite where sometimes we have cows grazing. Yes we need a car to get into the village and we can walk there if we feel the necessity to walk which will take about 35 mins.

We have 10 restaurants , 6 bars, 2 chemists, 2 supermarkets, 2 mini markets,2 computer shops, 2 dry cleaners, about 3-4 estate agents,5 hairdressers, 2 petrol stations, a car wash, a warehouse that sells building materials and another sells tiles, 3 banks and 2 post offices, 2 butchers , 2 newsagents, a haberdashery, 2 libraries, volontary ambulance service, gym, a clothes outlet, 2 florists, 2 churches, a bakery, a paint shop and garden supplies, numerous bread shops and some more that I cant think what theyre called in english:(

We also had a herbalist until recently and a cosmetic shop but both have recently closed . We have a good choice of shops but thats not all we have many festivities during the year. The main one is " La  Festa di Barbera" The wine ( Barbera" ) festival which lasts for 3 days serving food and wine. Also promoting the adoption of vines where the adoptees can participate in the pruning of the vines the vendemmia and other activities connected to the cultivation of the vines.

Various small fayres in the smaller villages around selling local food produce and specialities.

I love it here and the weather ( when it doesnt rain ) is  terrific , although I like to go back to my roots , I'm always glad to get back home but having said that the white cliffs of Dover bring a lump to my throat.

So whether it be Bulwell or somewhere else its where your heart is and I think mine is divided with a strong tie to where we are now. 

I love the peace and tranquility that the country offers but after a few days in the towns or cities I 've had enough and come to hate the rush and bustle which I know lots love. But we are all different.

• Like 4

Just realised this is an aches and pains page. Sorry but was just following a thread. 

I have been in agony the last 2 days. My back has flared up again and Im having injections every day. Cant think what I've done apart from washing my car, but it feels likeI'vegot another slipped disc. See how it goes the next few days and go to visit the xrays dept.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

When I've visited Italy, I noticed that the concept of a queue is alien to Italians. It's a British thing really, waiting your turn in an orderly manner!

Jill thats quite normal, its worse in the cities when if you dont shove when the bus comes you dont get on:No1:

Just had a glorious week in Northumberland. Legs ache from walking, back ache from scrambling over rocky coastlines, forehead peeling a bit. Oh, and my stomach seems to have expanded slightly despite eating sensibly. Lots of seafood and salads, but nice cakes too !:hungr:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1