Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

2 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

If you ever get to a human being you've forgotten why you called in the first place.  :biggrin:

Don't forget, "You are......"  lengthy pause...."16th in the queue!"  followed by a tinny electronic rendition of Mozart's 40th.  He was only 36 when he died. Couldn't afford private medicine!

• Like 1

The thing being Dave, the feds don't have the legal power to implement a health care system like other countries, that's reserved for the states and people under the 10th. All the feds powers are enumerated within the Constitution, if it's not there, then it's covered by the 10th, ie reserved for the states.. Mind, 99% of what Congress does is unconstitutional...

• Like 1

When I went to the GP practice on Friday for a appointment they gave one for Monday 9.30, shock-horror that quick wow. 

I was diagnosed with a double hernia and he said he will get in touch with the hospital for a referral, got a phone call two days later with a appointment for nov 9th, one day later got a letter to confirm it, quick again.

• Like 2

My GP’s surgery in Lowdham no longer does blood tests and by arrangement are to be carried out at Carlton or Arnold and I was instructed to get my annual test at one of those places. I didn’t bother because I thought that was totally ridiculous to expect people to make the journey. When I had my annual blood pressure check on Tuesday I was asked why I hadn’t had the blood test and I told the nurse that the alternative arrangements were stupid so she said come back tomorrow and I’ll do it for you. God knows why she couldn’t do it at the time! She told me she was totally p****d off with the situation and that they were losing patients to other practices because of this. I think the practice is going down the pan and with all the part time staff it seems to be there for the convenience of the staff and not the patients. I’m now thinking of moving myself. 

• Like 1

And statins...and antidepressants if you're depressed about taking medication.  And Oemaprazole if it upsets your tummy! And antibiotics if it gives you a cough!

I take my thyroxine because I'd sleep all year if I didn't!  And that's all!

• Like 1

Sometimes I have to laugh at the names they give to some of their expensive junk.  One night I was watching the news when one of their constant drug commercials came on.  one said something about,  "You   need 'Clopidogrel' .  As a dog nut I almost choked on me tea.  I can't remember what Clopidogrel is supposed to do, but  I just thought I've already got two.  They just wear me out!  :Shock:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

A visit to the quack often raises blood pressure in some folks.  (White coat hypertension)  It's ok though, because then they can put you on blood pressure meds.  :(

My blood pressure was high when the nurse took mine although I took it myself before I left for the surgery, twice, and it was within the bounds of normal. I told her it was because of her charm so she said "OK I'll take you figures then" :biggrin:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

You   need 'Clopidogrel' .  As a dog nut I almost choked on me tea.  I can't remember what Clopidogrel is supposed to do, but  I just thought I've already got two.  They just wear me out!  :Shock:

A former colleague's father was prescribed those, Loppy. He used to say to her, " Where's me dog tablets?"  Always made me laugh.

• Like 1

After my bypass apparently my statins are absolutely necessary. Then I was told I’m borderline diabetic. Today’s headline in the Express, “Statins give you diabetes”.

More and more I’m coming to agree with “The Latest Decalogue” ... “Thou shall not kill, but needst not strive/officiously to keep alive”

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Sometimes I have to laugh at the names they give to some of their expensive junk.  One night I was watching the news when one of their constant drug commercials came on.  one said something about,  "You   need 'Clopidogrel' .  As a dog nut I almost choked on me tea.  I can't remember what Clopidogrel is supposed to do, but  I just thought I've already got two.  They just wear me out!  :Shock:

When we’ve been in America I’ve noticed how often prescription drugs are advertised on the tv.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen drugs advertised on the telly over here.  Suppose folk go and buy this stuff rather than pay to see a doctor?

Then in Jamaica they advertise Cement on the telly!   Really interesting adverts showing bags of cement on a conveyor belt, LOL.   They advertise funerals too, showing a photo of the deceased, time and place of the funeral service, I bet they get dozens of strangers turning up for the ‘ham tea’ thumbsup

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Blimey, and I thought that our adverts were banal and useless !

• Like 1

Funny thing is Lizzie.  These are prescription drugs they are pushing so you've got to see a doctor to get them.  The ad usually ends with a line like,  "Ask you doctor if  ---------  is right foryou!  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

My blood pressure was high when the nurse took mine although I took it myself before I left for the surgery, twice, and it was within the bounds of normal. I told her it was because of her charm so she said "OK I'll take you figures then" :biggrin:

Used to be when I lived in the UK they never took my blood pressure when I made some routine visit.

Here they take it if you show up with a hangnail.  First doctor visit I made in the US was for a persistant cough.  Mrs. L fusses about such things.  I reluctantly went and he prescribed a bottle of cough syrup which I could probably have bought over the counter. He really fussed over my blood pressure and prescribed some noxious medication.

This caused me endless trouble afterwards as my travel insurance company refused to cover me any more and my health ins' premiums were higher here.  When I take it at home it is usually in the mid to low numbers for my age.  Knowing what I know now I would have refused his medication and said no more about it

• Like 1

Clopidogrel should be pronounced clopido grel not as clopi dog rel. The companies manufacturing and selling the drug should know better.

The drug is an anti-platelet medication - a blood 'thinner' - much like aspirin but, as aspirin is about 1% of the price of clopidogrel then there is no profit incentive for it to be prescribed. I was prescribed clopidogrel but insisted that it was changed to aspirin thus saving myself quite a large amount of money over the nineteen years I have been taking it.

• Like 3

I don't like taking medication in the form of anything but needs must as they say. I've been prescribed Brufen and have been taking it for just over a week. I take it at night as the doc says it will help to make me sleep and will give me relief during the day if I have to do anything ( which at the moment is very little) . It seems to be working but mornings and evenings are painful. This morning I've had my MRI . My neice works in that dept and she told me what I already knew that I have a serious problem with my spine. She's collecting the results for me so we'll see if its changed since July '17

Another medication I take for hypertension is doxazosin - pronounced dox azo sin. There is a very common tendency amongst medics (UK and France) to say doxa zo sin.

Some information for anyone prescribed doxazosin - one of the side effects is floppy iris syndrome!!! This is of importance if you have cataract surgery (which I have had) and can cause difficulties with the procedure. It didn't in my case, fortunately.

• Like 1

It is said that dark chocolare is good for blood pressure.  I find my blood pressure is ok so the dark chocolate is a bonus.  I also use a little Turmeric (An ingredient of Curry powder) as a blood thinner.  No side effects.  That I know of.

nonnaB, in view of your symptoms and the suffering you are enduring, I am very surprised that you are not taking anything more powerful than Brufen (invented in Nottingham, remember!).

I don't have back problems but I find I need much stronger stuff to deal with my discomfort. I'm on quite a high dose of dihydrocodeine and even with that, there is an amount of breakthrough pain.

loppylugs, I need a lot more than chocolate and turmeric to keep my heart and circulation under control. ATM I am on ramipril, nebivolol, furosemide, doxazosin, amlodipine, aspirin and atorvastatin plus glyceryl trinitrate to use when necessary. That's in addition to the DHC mentioned above and oxytetracycline.

You might say a walking pharmacy - except that I am unable to walk!

• Like 2