Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Well, I'm able to keep going every day without too much difficulty. I am very lucky that some years ago I was able to invent something which now provides me with a quite comfortable income which, in turn, allows me to have a full-time carer, a couple of domestic staff and the ability to afford to live in a very affable part of the world.

(I should add that it is not at all unusual to have domestic staff down here. Social structures are very different from those in the UK.)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Jonab, heaven forbid if I had to take anything stronger or more than what I take now. I have had this problem for yrs( sclerosis) and it wont get better. It was made worse when I managed to,get 5 slipped discs. To add also that I have one leg slightly shorter than the other now. I sound as though I'm an invalid but I refuse to give up. I do have some days when I'm not in pain and I'm beginning to learn my limitations. I do find though exercises do help a lot and also my special " Gravity " chair. I 'll see what the results of my MRI are next week and see what they give me in November when I see the pain management centre?. All the therapists and drs I' ve seen tell me that my back is in a terrible state but I know anyway. Sometimes I can walk with my back quite straight but see me when I've overdone it and I look like an old woman. ( cant believe I wrote that ...I am old but don't want to admit it)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Have you tried yoga, nonna?  Gentle yoga can be done by anyone and all I know who have tried it for back problems have been delighted with the results.

I'm not talking about Salute to the Sun or Downward Dog....ie Loppy when he's feeling a bit depressed...just gentle, balanced exercises.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Have you tried yoga, nonna?  Gentle yoga can be done by anyone and all I know who have tried it for back problems have been delighted with the results.

I'm not talking about Salute to the Sun or Downward Dog....ie Loppy when he's feeling a bit depressed...just gentle, balanced exercises.

Try this Nonna, hang from the rafters before you go to bed :biggrin: This is my daughter-in-law in her yoga studio.

02317688-8954-47-A4-834-F-6-EB7-A22-CE3-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's torture surely !

• Upvote 1

Jill I have done yoga for years but stopped when I got the slipped discs. The exercises I do are yoga anyway with slight variation.

Lizzie lovely photo , of course I do that exercise every night, it relaxes me.:rolleyes:. I do some exercises that at my age would seem to be impossible. I do downward dog but not too keen on salute to the sun as I can't move quickly enough between the movements.

In spite of my difficulty in moving all the therapists I've seen say I have very good flexibility which sometimes I don't feel.

• Like 1

I’ll google those yoga poses and give ‘em a go before I go to bed!  If I don’t get on here tomorrow maybe you can check with A & E in case I’ve been admitted! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is relaxing Lizzie. When I've finished I usually go into child's pose and just melt.. Namaste.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You'd need a demolition gang to untangle you Lizzie. You'd never be the same again !

• Like 1

Lizzie don't tell me you landed in A&E. I feel fine after hanging upside downiknowI'm telling lies.

• Like 1

Seen 2 doctors in the last couple of months & they both said I've got sciatia & it will go away after 4 to 6 weeks. Went to physio last week & now they say it's spinal stenosis, she gave me some exercise's to do but they seem to have made it worse, & doc prescribed amitriptyline, co-codamol & over the counter ibuprofen, nothings worked yet. It really came on bad 3 weeks ago when I was on my cruise: a bloke fell over in Amsterdam, I went to help him up & pains seared into my back & both legs, since then I've hardy been able to walk... 

Colly, I’m no medical expert but experienced several months of sciatica following abdominal surgery.  It was so bad it made me cry with the pain.   I was sent for an MRI scan and then went to see Mike Grevitt who is a spinal surgeon at QMC (and was featured on the ‘Hospital’ programme on tv a few months ago) He told me I had a ‘bulging disc’ ........ a slipped disc in other words.   He suggested physio treatment but said even with physio I may have the problem for up to two years.   Thankfully after a few more months the bad pain disappeared, however that leg still feels a little numb 2 years later.  As for over the counter painkillers, an anaesthetist friend of mine suggested alternating Paracetomol and Ibruprofen.  I personally won’t take Co-codamol as I got hooked on a codeine based painkiller many years ago!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry you are having a lot of pain I can sympathise with you. I have found Ibruprofen starts to work after about a week. In the last few days I feel a lot better but only hope I don't have to keep taking them for the rest of my life.

I find exercises do help but take it easy and slowly and don't try to exagerate your movements just go as far as you can ( rules of yoga)

All the best with your therapy.

Just read your reply Lizzie , my mum used to take cocodamol(8 a day prescribed in Scotland)  when she came here our dr went berserk he said it was the dose for a horse and told here to cut down to 6. She wasnt very happy and said she couldnt do without them. I got round it by telling her she'd had her tablets and that way she did cut down. Now she doesnt take anything for pain relief.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Jill, Lizzie & Nonna. I've had 6 x 200 Mgs ibuprofen tablets & 2 co-codamol's today. The pains come on really bad when I walk or stand up & lean back, sitting or laying down there's just a dull ache. I'm having to force myself to walk & do exercises as I don't want to set. I went to a line dance social on Friday night & tried to do a couple of dances but the leg pains made me sit down, I had my entrance money refunded as I danced so little, & I love line dancing 

Colly, I've had lower back pain for nigh on two years now , and nothing seems to ease it. It's worse when I've been gardening etc.

I've tried everything imaginable out of a tube and no improvement. I've had Cocodamol, and it made me constipated. Ibuprofen sends me dizzy. I've been to the doctors, and told it  was just wear and tear. Was sent for physio treatment, and it made it worse. Had X-rays on both hips which showed nothing, so I just rely on paracetamol now and then.

• Like 1

Here's hoping everyone in pain can find relief somehow.  My only back pain tends to come from my right side sacro-iliac joint, which can 'flare up' occasionally.  Usually a couple of seesions with a Chiropractor sorts it.. till the next time..

• Like 1

You're very sensible to try to keep active, Colly. A friend of mine has had arthritis very badly for some years but has forced himself to walk in the countryside each day. He was seriously ill at the end of last year but is making a good recovery and still setting daily targets for walking. He often says he doesn't feel like it but is always more mobile for making the effort.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Yes, definitely keep active Colly, and don't let your discomfort fester in your mind. You can still do anything you wish. Just enjoy life as normal. 

• Like 2

I have the dreaded poison ivy rash, leather gloves must have been covered in the oil from them, plus contaminated clothes from the wife picking the cat up and petting it, she's immune to it!! And people wonder why we don't let pets in the house. I'd estimate over 10% of my skin is affected. Worst case I've had of it and it's made me ill, I spent the other afternoon in bed shivering, headache etc. Had to scrub my work buts with soapy water, inside and out, as my feet have been affected too.

It and it's cousins, Poison Oak and Virginia Creeper Vine are common around these parts, I steer clear of them at all times, but accidents happen. Virtually every tree has P/I climbing up it, and the forest floor has Poison Oak growing on it.

Every part of the plant carries the oils that causes us problems, stem, leaf, flower, seed, roots.

Now I have to shoo the cat away when she comes close.

How awful for you AYup. To have an irritation like that must surely be torture. Poor cat being shooed away but it does make sense. Do you bath her? Hope the rash calms down soon. I know its a different thing but don't know if it will help but I'm a firm believe in Lavender oil and aloe vera gel smoothed over irritation works wonders for me. Mosquito bites just disappear and they can be a niusance and its difficult not to scratch. Ialways used to keep covered over when outside in the summer and was terrified if one came near me as I used to come out in great big blisters and then after 2 weeks they went purple. Seventeen bites on legs isnt a pretty site. Hope all goes well for you.

There's really nothing that can be used NonnaB, if you know you have come into contact with the plant, a quick wash down with plenty of soap and water prevents skin damage, if the rash starts to appear, I found bleach dries it it out, but after a couple of hours, nothing works.

The oil damages skin cells, and the body's reaction is to make you scratch the dead cells off, hence itching. Eventually after a couple of days it looks like severe sun burn, very red and dry flaking skin.

Watery blisters, none painful are another part of it, they continually weep until the skin heals itself.

It is dangerous too, if one gets too much skin contamination it can lead to a quick trip to an ICU unit of a hospital, as it can be life threatening, luckily we don't hear of too many cases that bad.

Ironic, no animals are affected by it, only humans. My wife is totally immune to it.

No more petting the cat, she is now taboo, as far as touching her.

There is a simple cure for Mozzie bites that actually works and neutralizes those annoying things, a spoon, heated to as hot as you can bear, rub the bite with the back of the spoon, I read that from an article by a nurse, it does work!! The annoying itchy bump produced from the bite disappears rapidly and no more itch.

I get eaten alive by mozzies in summer, if I was in a stadium with 200,000 people and only one mozzie was let loose, I'd be the person it would find and bite...LOL  They are pretty bad around these parts.

• Like 3

Colly,   Subject first to medical advice.. have you thought about trying swimming, or even just exercise in water?  Much less weight on your body so you may be able to maintain flexibility and improve core strength with less risk of making things worse.

Ooh sounds awful John, (ayup) I remember you saying about the plants & creatures that can cause problems over where you live, hope you're soon feeling better... Never thought about swimming DJ360, will have to give it a try. Off for a hot bath in a bit as that seems to help...

• Like 1