Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Swimming or just being in deep water (so that you're buoyed up by it) can be a great help in taking the pressure away from arthritic and other muscular and joint pains. I wouldn't be without my pool. I think nonna would agree.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Yes I do agree Jonab. I spent most of my days in the pool just hanging over  rubber ring. Leaning forward or backward it was so relaxing. A couple of times I drifted off into "fairyland". 

• Like 2

I have just been diagnosed with a slightly (?) overactive thyroid, would have thought it was or it wasn’t but then I am not a doctor. Waiting for second blood test, fasting one I hate those made worse by the fact that I am continually hungry at moment, for decision to be made about medication. Looked it up on internet and frightened myself silly, must stop doing that. Thought I was just having panic/anxiety attacks with racing heart etc. It is awkward as I don’t know how I will feel from day to day, some days I am reasonably okay other days not, so arranging anything is difficult. I am still doing things even on the bad days if I have said I will, in town today I just wanted to come home but my sister was looking for a coat so carried on. Don’t know if this is the right thing to do or not?

• Upvote 1

Talking of swimming, I hope I still can as I've not swum since 2007... I learn't to swim when I was in my 30's: I was on the Herald Of Free Enterprise 3 weeks before it sank, it spooked me & I enrolled on the next swimming course at Ken Martins. I ended up the best swimmer on the course & used to go regularly but it dropped of over the years. Will defo have to go again...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I have just been diagnosed with a slightly (?) overactive thyroid, would have thought it was or it wasn’t but then I am not a doctor.

I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with an underactive thyroid. Very concerning just how many people these days, globally, have thyroid problems and no one seems to know why.

Overactive is treated fairly easily and is usually short term which means those under 60 have to pay for treatment. Overactive thyroid means, usually, thyroxine for life and those under 60 ( not me any longer) don't have to pay.

Thyroids are a damned nuisance when they malfunction.

As I understand it the Thyroid is very sensitive to nuclear radiation.  Our generation is the first one to live with such large scale radiation in the Atmosphere.  I remember when Windscale in the Lake district had some kind of problem.  They could not use milk from surrounding farms due to Strontium 90 in the atmosphere.  I dread to think how many bomb tests took place around the world. Tennesse, Mrs. L's birthplace is downwind of the Western test sites.  She came down with a Thyroid tumor before I ever met her.  Thankfully it was dealt with and no recurrence, but she will be on Thyroid meds for the rest of her life.

I cannot prove this is at the root of things but it makes you wonder.

Edited for spelling.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My sister has been diagnosed with an under active thyroid. She has hasimotos (not sure of spelling) disease and is still struggling with the medication having gone hyper and having to start it again from scratch. Makes me wonder if it could run in families, we are the only 2 girls my brother seems okay.

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease. A male friend of mine almost died as a result of it 12 months ago but he was largely to blame for ignoring the fact that he'd been feeling ill for so long. He's mending now but its slow and his dosage of thyroxine, currently 200 mcg daily is likely to rise before he feels totally better.

Far more females than males are affected by thyroid problems and, again, no one knows why although there's a theory that it could be hormone related.

Loppy may be correct about radiation. It could be plastic related. Apparently, we're all full of the damned stuff whether we know it or not.

Thyroid problems can be hereditary, they say. It's a case of keep taking the tablets!

• Like 1

Mum is in her early 90s and had an underactive thyroid diagnosed in her mid-20s. It won't stop you having a long life.

I have it too. Some people seem to think it is only women that get it, but men do too. I guess mine is probably hereditary. A GP suggested to me that more women get diagnosed because they have blood tests when they have children. Men often don't (or didn't) get blood tests at all - or at least until old age.

It is not too big a problem except when I go through something they call a dark period, when I feel like a very tired zombie and can't think straight or do much and often feel cold or shivery for several days or even weeks.

Do you find it's worse in the winter, notty ash? Lack of daylight seems to affect me now far more than it did some years ago. It has been suggested that the thyroid functions less effectively during autumn and winter.

17 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Do you find it's worse in the winter, notty ash? Lack of daylight seems to affect me now far more than it did some years ago. It has been suggested that the thyroid functions less effectively during autumn and winter.

Quite possibly, though it is difficult to tell the cause of symptoms - could be a bit of SAD, for example, too. Doing lots of walking seems to help - though in the bad spells I can't walk anywhere near as far as normal.

EDIT

Forgot to mention that climbing hills I seem to run out of energy without getting out of breath. I have to pause for a while to let my metabolism catch up - and then I can go on as normal 'til it happens again. I guess Thyroxin is a catalyst, so too little and I can't burn energy as quickly and efficiently as others.

My sister says it seems worse in cold weather. She is starting to feel a bit better now, wants to do things whereas before she just wanted to curl up on settee and do nothing. Don’t know how she has coped with her very stressful job during this time. It was one of the reasons why I moved down here as I was very worried about her. I go for my second blood test on the 8th November so after that should know about medication etc. Feel really tired this morning, didn’t have a good nite last nite just couldn’t get to sleep which isn’t me. I believe stress can cause it temporarily and it can right itself, but that could be wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I know how your sister feels. Looking back, I don't know how I coped with work before and for a long-time after I was diagnosed. I just couldn't think straight. In fact, I had begun to think I had dementia because my brain seemed to have seized up!  Its getting better but some days I just want to sleep.

I hope they get you sorted out. Ask your sister whether she's had a vitamin D test because people with low thyroid function need a high level of vitamin D as lack of it can produce the same symptoms. Mine was virtually non existent. I take a supplement all year round now.

The mention of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) reminds me that there are special high-intensity lamps available which can decrease the effects of the lack of light in the British winter.

Jill mentions vitamin D - even a relatively minor lack of this can have all sort of negative effects on your well being.

I bought a SAD lamp earlier this year after years of threatening to get one. It's a Finnish model and looks like a large sun.  Very bright indeed. I've not been using it for very long but I'm hoping it has some effect.

Exactly John. This is precisely why I advocate keeping active and getting out, and partaking in a bit of exercise. Even if it's not a sunny day, a walk to get some fresh air, and to get the blood circulation moving is definitely beneficial. Don't vegetate on the sofa watching the box.

Since retirement, I walk my daughters dog at least twice a week. Walk to the shops, or just to Bulwell or Arnold. Very gratifying indeed.smile2

• Like 2

My capacity for physical exercise is very limited but, I always ensure that there is plenty to occupy my brain and I am working hard on another project that could earn money - and be of potential benefit to mankind (please don't take that as a mere boast).

• Like 2

I hate the dark winter days.  From now on in I will be looking forward to the 21st December which is the shortest day.  All gets gradually brighter after that.  Looked at some charts online recently and found that although 21st Dec is shortest day, 13 Dec is the earliest sunset.  Not quite sure how all that works, but Hey!

I can get pretty depressed by it all, but I doubt I suffer from 'yer actual' SAD, because I live in the sun shine at every opportunity, I take vit D supplements and I use sunbeds regularly (but not excessively)   Apparently a few minutes a day in Sunshine with arms uncovered is all that's needed for 'adequate' sun exposure.  But then I'm not interested in getting a 'farmer's tan' just on face, lower arms etc.. and if it's warm enough....

Exercise is essential in winter if you can do it.  Just being outside during what daylight there is, lifts mood.  As Fly says, a good walk at least three times a week is very positive for both physical and mental well being.

Last week I re-started my exercise program to try to lose weight and look/feel a bit better.  I keep a spreadsheet and record what I do each day.

Swimming. 2-3 times a week. These days I usually just try to do 20 lengths of a 25 metre pool.  Mostly front crawl, with a few lengths of breast stroke.  I used to do 50 or 60 lengths, but these days I try to do the 20 as quick as poss then get out.

Walking.  Short power walks are 15 mins out.. uphill from the village, as far and as fast as possible, then turn round and walk back.  Longer walks can be anything from a mile or so up to maybe ten miles. Much depends on how my knees are performing.  They can let me do several miles, or they can seize up and swell, which then has a knock on for my hip and my whole gait and it's best cut short. But the aim is to do more than my 6000 step daily target.  Little app on my phone senses this with reasonable accuracy.

Weights.  I just use free weights at home.  Free weights (dumbells or kettle bells) also force you to use your 'core' to maintain balance.  I have two sets of dumb bells.  Currently on 7.5 kg per side but I'll increase that for some some moves as I get stronger.  I'm not trying to be 'Arnie', just want to get better dfinition, bulk up a bit and get the weight loss effect which comes from the fact that 'toned' muscles burn more calories even at rest.

I do the basics, bicep curls, shoulder press, chest press, upright row, bent over row, etc., plus a few crunches and press ups when I can be bothered.

I've also replaced bread, spuds, rice and pasta in my diet with veggies like turnip, cauli, green beans etc., but have pulled back from a total 'no carb' diet as it was making me feel rotten.

So far, more than a week in I've not lost any weight to speak of, but I do feel more alive. It will work over time.

Good friend and neighbour was saying yesterday that he'll be in trouble with the Doc because his BP is raised.  I replied that exercise is good for lowering BP but he hates it.  He knows it's the best thing, but just can't get past the idea that exercising is wasting time he could spend on other stuff.  He's a very passive bloke.  Watchng TV, listening to music, being online etc.  I'm going to try to persuade him to join me for a few short walks in the hope that the more he does it the more he enjoys it.

Col

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I hate the dark winter days.  From now on in I will be looking forward to the 21st December which is the shortest day.  All gets gradually brighter after that.  Looked at some charts online recently and found that although 21st Dec is shortest day, 13 Dec is the earliest sunset.  Not quite sure how all that works, but Hey!

Col

Sunsets start getting later after 13th Dec as you say,  but sunrises continue to get later by a bigger margin until Dec 21st

Well yes.. It's obvious when you put it like that....  ;)

The next question is Why?  :)

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Well yes.. It's obvious when you put it like that....  ;)

The next question is Why?  :)

Clock time is artificial, so it is probably best to think of it as the middle of our day changing very slightly in Earth time as the days get longer or shorter ;)

It is all to do with the way the Earth tilts over the year, as well as revolving. The changes are very, very small in relation to a 24hr day. You get a similar effect around the longest day too.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear got  up this morning and feel like a wrung out dish cloth. Nose running, throat a bit rough, slight headache. Wonder if it could be the dreaded lergy that is going round. Don’t have time for this got a busy day and the dogs need their long Sunday walk and visit to the pub. If I ignore it will it go away?

I've felt grotty for about four days Stavertongirl, and despite taking paracetamol, Night / Day Nurse capsules, and Benelin, I found Lidls Pinot Grigio the most effective. So, liven up, get out with the dogs, and end up at the pub. smile2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1