Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Thanks Brew, I appreciate your concern. But maybe I've given the wrong impression.  I'm not starting from scratch. I've been 'doing' weights on and off for years. Also, I spent much of last summer digging trenches, moving paving slabs, piles of bricks and tons of soil about, plus ripping out heavy stuff from the house, carting it to the tip etc. I've also kept up my walking.

I started years ago with a little set of 3Kg weights and ended up doing hundreds of reps with little to show for it.  It was then that I was advised that I needed to use heavier weights and do fewer reps.  That's when I bought my current weights.  Last time I was really 'into' it I progressed to using two sets of dumb bells one at around 8Kg and the other around 11 Kg..  For example, I can easily do 10 reps x 3 of chest press with 7.5Kg, but having had a bit of a break, it was a harder struggle to do the same for shoulder press. (Which most men seem to find the hardest move).  However, over the last few weeks I've reached the 'sweet spot' at 7.5 Kg with shoulder press. Meaning, I can just about do 3x10 reps, getting close to, but not reaching.. failure.  The other moves, especially chest press, are now too easy at 7.5 kg, but I was just too lazy to go into the garage to find more weights to make up a second set of dumb bells and until wednesday's little setback I was just adding a few more reps on the 'easier' moves.

Decent explanation of how to determine the 'correct' weights here:  https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-weight-should-you-lift-and-use/

What I'm doing is weights for 'hypertrophy' or muscle building. No 'Arnie' ambitions. just want to look and feel a bit better, plus getting the weight loss advantages which come from having toned muscles.  As I understand it weights for 'strength' training are approached differently, using heavier weights and far fewer reps. I'm not doing that.

I really don't understand what happened on Wednesday, but I doubt it was much to do with the weights.  Nearest guess is that I had a coincidence of a stomach problem with maybe some sore abdominal muscles caused by doing too many 'crunches.' (Which don't involve weights.) Also, I've found that many of the symptoms which peaked on Weds are also attributable to the Esomeprazole I re-started a couple of days earlier.  I'm still not quite right and today for e.g, I've been really tired all day.  No apparent reason.  Probably just an age thing.  All my 'bloods' checked out OK, as did BP  etc., at the Docs. One Doc told me years ago that it is very common for people with heart conditions like mine to have good and bad days.  I suppose we all do, and of course we're all getting older.  I have no problem doing a Max Ehrmann and 'surrendering gracefully the things of youth', but I'm not about to give up the fight completely just yet. :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

DJ360. You are doing OK mate. I don't do weights these days, the heavy gardening sorts that out. I tend to use the indoor rowing machine (Concept2) at least 4x p/w. This is an all round exercise but mainly cardio. 

Weights have been given good press (pun not intended) recently and unlike rowing or cycling can be done with minimal kit and space. It is even suggested that rep weights are more beneficial for general fitness than running.

• Like 1

That's interesting PP.  I can no longer run due to knackered knees and a limited cardiac capacity, but I can walk for miles on the flat, rather less on hills and all depending on how my knees decide to behave.  I get my cardio from walking.  Some also comes from swimming, but that is mostly about keeping flexibility. Weights are a pain to do, but give me a real 'buzz' when they're over.. and they improve build, posture, weight loss etc.

They also help make me strong enough to fight off all the laydees who inevitably pursue me.... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

You sure Loppy?  I must be doing something right.. none of them have caught me yet..  Oh.. hang on...

• Like 1

You can get very mixed messages.  My neighbour is a year or so older than me.  He's the one who told me he had some burning pains in his chest on hills and thought he must've had a chest infection.  When he said he had no fever or cough I told him it sounded more like angina.  He got checked and a few weeks later had a Stent fitted.  But, since he told me before he told his wife, who was a very senior nurse, I'm not allowed to claim the credit.

Anyway.. he told me yesterday that he'd been told not to lift any weights above his head, because it raises BP.  On the other hand, I ran my training schedule past my Cardiologist and he was happy for me to continue with it.

As I understand it, the overall/cumulative effect of exercise is to lower BP.  I suppose very heavy weights, or really full on cardio could be dangerous, but I don't do either.

I do miss running.  I was a half decent distance runner in my youth and really enjoyed it, but it's just not an option anymore, so walking has to do.

Brew.. You've changed...  :blink:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I should  post this here rather than hows your day.

Just got back from the docs.  Verdict is, I had a stroke.  MRI showed a small bleed in the brain..  I really wasn't surprised.  I thought it was something like that.  I'm still pretty rattled though.  The realization of one's mortality grows stronger,  especially as I think I had a lessor one back in the summer when I suddenly forgot several bars of music that I could play well..  Simply put, I just had to relearn it from scratch.  The doc doesn't think it will happen again but how does he know?  Put me on blood pressure meds and stopped the dog tablets for now.

The upside was when I asked him about exercise for the affected limbs.   He said play that old organ as much as you can.  Best exercise you can get for fingers and foot.  That's ok by me.  Mrs L needs more Bach anyway.   He said I should get full use of those limbs back.

Next meeting December 20th for review of ultrasound.  Said preliminary report looks good.

I thank each and everyone of you for your kind posts of support as well as those who have p.m.d me.  Makes me feel like I know each one individually.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Keep positive Loppy.

• Like 1

Apparently, only around 15% of strokes are caused by a bleed, rather than an obstruction.   I'm pleased they've stopped your 'Loppydog'  meds now.!    Keep practising and relearning your music ... as the doctor said, it will definitely help.    It's amazing how our brains can relearn stuff if we don't give up.  God bless x

• Like 1

Positive news, Loppy.

Music is excellent therapy and none better than Bach.

So, he's discontinued your dog chews. Never mind. I'm sure the boys won't mind if you borrow one of theirs.

An ancestor of mine had a stroke in her 20s. Never had another and lived well into her 90s. She loved dogs, too.

• Like 2

Good to read your positive post LL. As with Lizzies husband my stroke and two TIAs were partly due to AF. Two ablations have almost stopped the AF but left me with  Tachycardia. Life on Warfarin and other meds for me, but I am so grateful to the NHS for my treatment. I  wish you well Miduck and I'm sure you will soon be sorted out by the Medical team. 

• Like 5

Not even noticed them Loppy, and I’m very pedantic too!   We don’t care how many typos you make, we just happy that you’re able to give us updates.  Just make sure you clock in every day! 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Hang in there Loppy!  Glad things are improving. 

Lizzie, My bother has AF.  One lot of ablation cured the atrial fibrillation, but he also has a similar condition.  I think it's Atrial Flutter.  It's managed with meds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Me old back right leg is still a bit weak, but I can still cock it if I need to.  Lol

Got me stuff so now I'm staying in with the boys.  Shopping was getting crazy out there this a.m.  Saw a nice pair of slippers I liked so I bought them as my old ones are getting a bit tatty.  When she saw them Mrs. L said,  I bought you a pair  just like that for Christmas.   Oh oh!  It would be cold in the doghouse today.

• Like 2

Was beginning to wonder who was posting Loopy but it made me laugh. Hope everything's ok. I need a new pair of slippers too. I need something with a raised heel to keep my back a bit straighter. at the moment I have flat fluffy ones and although they are warm they don't do anything to keep me straight.

• Like 1