Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

These meds are iffy.  I've been on two types of BP meds for about ten weeks now.  Sometimes I feel hot in one arm varous joint aches.  Generally I do not feel as good as I felt after the stroke.  Daren't cut back though.  They are keeping the BP and heart rate down.  The risk of another stroke is high without them.  So I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.  Back to the docs in a couple of weeks will see what the options are then.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

I think you need to get that sorted Loppy.  I've had a few different beta blockers over the years (Mostly Propanolol and now Bisoprolol) and also different statins... ( Simvastatin and now Atorvasttin)  Was also prescribed an ACE inhibitor (Lisinopril) which didn't agree with me and was replaced with an A2 inhibitor (Valsartan) which was OK until it became unavailable and now on another (Losartan)

All above said I don't have high BP.  Sometimes a bit low.  I have had 2 small strokes and one heart attack.  Now have one completely blocked right ventricular artery and some left ventricular failure, but am generally well enough.  Marathons and 100m sprints are out though..:laugh:

Please keep talking to your Doc and get the meds right.

On the positive side I had my root canal work done yesterday on the tooth that caused the abscess. It all went smoothly and painlessly.  But then I should hope so for £350!!  Didn't even have too much lasting numbness after the anaesthetic. Dentists said to leave it as is until after my Mexico trip then get it re-crowned.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Actually using a couple you mentioned there Col.  Bisoprolol  and Ibersartan.  Tried Lisinopril some years ago when my BP issue first showed.  it didn't agree with me at all.  Made me dizzy and depressed. So I dropped all synthetic meds and tried to keep on top of it via diet   Didn't give it much more thought until the latest crisis.  So, as you say I'll keep co-operating with the doc in hopes we can get this thing balanced.

• Like 1

Had my blood test this morning. Worst one I have ever had. I had to fast so chloresteral(?) could be checked, nurse said she couldn’t do it as the blood test bag thingy was for the hospital and she couldn’t add anything on it and the result would not be sent to doctors anyway. Not sure that is right, I had presumed doctor would be doing separate one but obviously not. Then she stuck the needle in, think it must have been for elephants as it was quite painful. Done and dusted with bit of cotton wool stuck to my arm I went to my book club. There for a bit and my arm felt funny, had a look and it was bleeding. I don’t do blood, usually end up flat out on the floor, but was very brave and stuck the cotton wool down again. Luckily it stopped. Not looking to my next one in 6 weeks:Shock:

• Upvote 1

Had mine too this morning. Don't have problems with my right arm but the left is a devil. They can never find the vein and end up  looking at my hand , wrist and even my legs. Nurse tried left arm this morning with no luck so she took blood from right arm (5 phials) .Cotton wool on and pressed down , put my coat back on and went home , jacket off and was taking the cotton wool and tape off when I saw it had been bleeding a lot. Washed it and pressed down again , it stopped. Now Friday I have my TC scan with contrast and they won't use right arm again so I can " look forward " to being holed to death looking for a suitable vein. 

• Upvote 1

A few years ago I had a painful shoulder. The dr asked me to have a blood test. The pain was in my left shoulder and they took the sample from my right arm. Now I'm not stupid but         no I can't tell you,         Oh go on then I will.       I said to the nurse " I can't understand why the sample is being taken from my right arm when the pain is in my left shoulder"  As I realised what I'd said , she looked at me and said. "blood does circulate you know"  I felt sooo stupid. I don't know why I said it.

• Like 1

I don't think it's stupid Nonna.  Sure blood circulates, but to me common sense says if you take from the area closest to the pain it might be more likely to show something.  Then, again  what  do I know?  I'm just a thick dog nut.  ;)

I sympathise, SG and others. Blood tests are a minefield and very much depend on the skill of the person doing them. I much prefer to have mine done at the hospital blood room as that is all they do all day and the operatives can do it without pain.  On one occasion, at the GP, there was a medical student and the phlebotomist asked if he could do my test. I know they have to learn but I refused. Like nonna, my veins tend to hide and I couldn't face the thought of someone inexperienced poking around and possibly making a hash of it.

Now that my TSH is stable, I only need to be tested once a year. :rolleyes:

Jill my blood tests are every 3 months. Depending on what follows them they are taken at the hospital ( priority) or the local drs surgery where the nurse is taking blood all day and I.am still priority. I have had blood taken every 3 months since 2009. Thats why they don't like too many samples taken from the same arm as the vein can harden making it a bit dangerous and difficult to get blood. My neice works in the dept where I go for the CT scan and if she can't insert the canula she warns the other nurses to be careful. Its traumatic every time the canula won't budge. But all worries apart its in a way saving my life. Lets see on Friday and the Friday after that what the results are

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hope it al goes well for you Nonna.

I had blood tests every couple of months in the 1970s because I worked in a Lead Refinery, although I was always at pains to point out to them that the Lead was the least of our problems as we were 'refining out' much more toxic metals such as Copper, Arsenic, Antimony, Bismuth, Tellurium etc.  But I digress.. I learned to offer different arms alternately.

These days I have my bloods done around every six months and go to the local hospital.  They are very well geared up for it and I'm usually in and out in under 30 minutes.  I'm often told I have 'good' veins, by which I think they mean ones which are easy to find and puncture. Still try to vary the arm though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 Mins DJ that's too long . I am in and out in under 10. :) Thats because I have the right to go before any other patient. I get embarrassed when I go in front but then they hear its day hospital and they tell me you must go before me. Hang my head when I go out because I get daggers thrown at me.I had an argument one day with a woman who insisted I should take a ticket and wait like everyone else. I told her I would rather do that than have what I've already been through. She kept quiet.

Its an appointment system , Appointments first but day hospital patients can interrupt and then theres the zero wait for those who can wait for a test. It works but they are always packed.

Thankyou by the way I forgot my manners

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I worked in a Lead Refinery,

Would that be enthovens at matlock, swadlincote lead works or the dreaded 'cappa pass ' near Hull?

5 hours ago, Waddo said:

Would that be enthovens at matlock, swadlincote lead works or the dreaded 'cappa pass ' near Hull?

None of the above, but was owned by the same lot that owned Eindhoven's... I always thought it was Darley Dale rather than Matlock??  We had a manager come from them, and odd workers on assignments.  But I worked at  Holman Michel in St Helens. Closed years ago.  It had numerous owners, including GKN at some point and Royal Dutch Shell.  Also different factory names.. 'Quirk, Barnes and summatorother' I believe.  I worked mostly on a Rotary Furnace smelting drosses from the refining process, to recover the tin, copper, antimony etc., that we refined out of the lead.  Occasionally worked on refining too, and making 'pig' lead, massive flat casts for rolling into sheet, etc.

Yes, your correct DJ, it is at Darley Dale but at the time i couldn't think of the exact location, matlock was the nearest place i could think of as it's not a million miles from it.

Vic Pownalls scrapyard used an alligator shear to chop the tops of car batteries, empty the contents out and send the plates to Eindhoven at Darley dale. The ground under the shear was very much a no go area due to the acid.

I hope they had thick soled boots Brew, otherwise, one day, they'd find themselves just balancing on two stumps.

At the Lead Refinery, we had more problems with caustic than with acid. The main substance used to refine the antimony and tin out of molten lead,  was caustic soda.  Whole bags full of it in 'pearl' form.  The stuff would melt to a grey sludge which was mixed into the lead with a sort of giant food mixer.  We would sample the lead at intervals and you soon got to know when it was pure, by the way it crystallised out in a little mould.

Once the lead was pure enough, we'd throw a load of Sodium Nitrate on top which had the effect of turning the caustic 'sludge' into something resembling rice crispies.  Those would just be scooped of the top of the melting pot using a perforated ladle. and stored in drums until they went into the furnace.  But, they were still highly caustic and tended to attract moisture and turn liquid   Get that on your boots and the soles would soon be dropping off.  Some nasty burns were had from getting it on skin too.  

The only acid I recall us using was Hydrochloric.  Dripped into the molten lead while mixing.  Bit of an experiment as I recalled.  Another way was to use Ammonium Chloride, which would create great clouds of ammonia.

Those methods would remove Tin and Antimony plus other bits and pieces.  The other main impurity was Copper.  We got that out by mixing bags of sulphur into the lead while it was almost cool enough to start setting, then keep mixing and whack the heat up.  Suddenly there'd be a thick layer of stuff like black soot, but much heavier, on top of the melting pot.  Took some effort to dross that off, but then you had  99.997% pure lead.

Not the most pleasant job.  :)

4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I hope they had thick soled boots Brew, otherwise, one day, they'd find themselves just balancing on two stumps.

From memory all they had was a rubber apron, wellingtons and plastic gauntlets. HSE would have a fit today.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:12 AM, DJ360 said:

On the positive side I had my root canal work done yesterday on the tooth that caused the abscess. It all went smoothly and painlessly.  But then I should hope so for £350!!  Didn't even have too much lasting numbness after the anaesthetic. Dentists said to leave it as is until after my Mexico trip then get it re-crowned.

Maybe spoke too soon.  The guy who did the root canal work made it clear that he couldn't guarantee it would be a complete cure., but I was willing to try because I don't want to lose any more teeth. Was Ok all last week but now some worrying symptoms.  Bit of swelling and is now painful if I press the gum over the area where the root of the tooth is.

Will see how it goes till Monday, but it's looking like £350 down the drain plus more for an extraction.  And less than two weeks way from a very expensive holiday...  :(

Yesterday we were talking to a friend of ours who lives in Seattle.  In the past couple of years he’s had serious health issues and the medication he’s had to take has made his teeth black.  He’s decided to spend his kids inheritance and have major dental work done at around 60,000 USD.  He will have a General Anaesthetic and have all his teeth taken out, reckons he’s still got 28 which is pretty good for an 80 year old.  Then he is having the titanium implants put in both upper and lower jaws and temporary teeth fixed. He will have the permanent teeth fitted in 6 months.   

• Upvote 2

I had a lot of dental work done years ago by a chap in Nottingham called Malcolm Pendlebury. He was a very artistic dentist. I’ve got bridges, caps and more gold than in Fort Knox. Fortunately the gold is very discrete so I don’t look like a Chinese restaurant proprietor. You can only see a bit of it when I smile broadly which I rarely do!:)

I'd have a few implants if I could afford it, but at around £2k a shot it would set me back about £20k minimum just to fill a few gaps. I don't have that kind of dosh lying about.