Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

I don't fly anymore if I can help it.  Most of the planes ain't fit to fly in!  Crammed like sardines.  Treated like a criminal before you are even allowed on.  Sorry!  Didn't mean to throw a damper on your trip.  Just the ramblings of a miserable old ----who's feeling his age this morning.

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Love Flying Loppy.........even enjoy 'Booking in' and chatting (just realised can't chat very easily now) anyway enjoy the whole process of flying,,,never flown long haul and don't want to,,, couple of hours to the Spanish sun,,and i'm happy...........missed going during the winter this time......so hopeful for Oct/nov.........probably sit next to some bloke who wants to talk about mending stuff or Gardening or Grandkids.......zzz..........:(

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Actually I didn't mean to sound like such a miserable old geezer.  I always loved flying and flew long haul between England and Canada lots.  It was before most of the terrorism stuff and everybody was much more laid back.  Allowed to sup coffe in the cockpit during the flight.  Decent food, and reasonable leg room.  Doesn't seem quite that way anymore. 

• Like 1

Hate flying. Terrible ear problems. Went deaf after returning from Italy many years ago. The doctor looked in my ears with the auriscope and said I had the most peculiar inner ear arrangement he'd ever seen!  I once had a hearing test as part of a medical when I was 17. The doc said my hearing was way too acute for a human and I should have been a dog! So there you go, Loppy!!

He also said I'd have problems on aircraft. He was right! :blink: don't ever whisper nasty things about me...cos I can hear ya!

• Like 2

I like flying in a general sense, but I'm not too happy about the fact that once they close that door, you aren't getting off until they say so.  I do love looking at passing landscapes below.  I've noticed that as you fly up through the continent at night, every town seems to have at least one blue light showing quite brightly.  What's that all about then?

That said, I've tracked lots of TUI flights to Cancun on Weds and Fridays.  Some go via Greenland, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland etc. and then down the US East Coast, sometimes inland.  But more often than not they fly over water almost all the way, overfly Bermuda and then cut across Florida.  I think I'll ask our pilot to take the 'Scenic Route' if possible....  :)

• Like 3

I dislike flying. Not so much the actual flight but the hassle involved in booking in and all the waiting around when you have to be there long before take off. I also wonder about who’s up front driving the aeroplane. When I gained my pilot’s licence back in the 70’s there were others who went on to take a commercial rating. God knows how they managed. There were some real incompetents who failed their written exams first time and one even drove a plane into the hangar and chopped the wings of another aircraft with his prop. He went on to become a commercial pilot! He announced himself over the tannoy when I was taking the Heathrow shuttle from EMA. “Christ not him” I exclaimed to my colleague, “he’s a disaster”. It must have got the other passengers worried!

• Like 3

Col, I hope they'll have wifi on the alien craft when  you've been abducted over the Bermuda Triangle, then you'll be able to tell us all about it!   ..... 

• Like 1

Certainly will Margie!  Pictures anall..

• Like 1

Odd times when flying there's been a map on a screen in front of me,,,showing the route and where you are exactly........even the pilot telling you ''we are over Paris etc''........don't know who i was flying with,,but thought it was a good little service,,being interested in all things Geographical,,,i only fly poor people class,,so it might be normal for the richer folk..........lol

• Like 2

I know this not exactly about an ailment but it fits the flying topic.

I have always found flight crew to be among some of the nicest laid back folks you could wish to meet.  I met quite a few working  for Air Canada.

Only time it got a bit tense I was in the cockpit of an L1011 flying to Toronto from Calgary.  We'd chatted about all kinds of things just fine.  A week or two before somebody had mentioned seeing a flying saucer just North of Toronto not far from the airport and it had been in the paper.

I mentioned it and the captain just nodded that he had seen the news item.  The first officer seemed quite interested and asked questions.  I asked if they had ever seen one.  At this point the captain jumped in before he could answer, he said,  "Figments of the imagination."  His tone was such that you knew you'd better shurrup, so I did and things calmed down.  I suppose believing in such could cost him his job so he wasn't going there.  Often wondered what he really could have seen though.

Once they knew I was an airport electrician most of them were full of questions about wiring jobs at home.  All I wanted was to learn to fly the plane.  :biggrin:   well,  you never knew if they'd been disabled I might have had to land it.:Shock:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

But now it seems I ought to have a 'Fitness to Fly'  Certificate too.

Mrs Red had a burst appendix while on holiday in Spain & ended up having an operation, it took 21 days to get a "fit to fly" certificate, sure it's because of the insurance? Ended up having over 5 weeks for the price of 2, came back looking like a Paki.

• Like 3

Phil, I never realised there was ever a flight from EMA to LHR, or anywhere else in England, what a time-saver that would be.  We’ve flown from LHR or Gatwick far more than from EMA and it’s a difficult decision whether to leave home at 4am or go down the night before.  

A good friend and old next door neighbour flies with EasyJet.  He was with Monarch for years, until they went bust.   He’s never done anything else, went straight from school into working at his Dad’s flying school as an instructor and then has flown commercial airliners for many years but he would never have considered long-haul, he likes to go there and back in a day, unlike another chap we know who is a Virgin captain.  He lives in Nice and commutes to London for his shifts.  

• Like 1

You can still fly EMA to LHR. The downside is it takes over three hours via Edinburgh, Amsterdam or Belfast,,    thumbsup

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, radfordred said:

Mrs Red had a burst appendix while on holiday in Spain & ended up having an operation, it took 21 days to get a "fit to fly" certificate, sure it's because of the insurance? Ended up having over 5 weeks for the price of 2, came back looking like a Paki.

It seems to be a Carrier Requirement and it won't be a hassle to get.  My new Doctors are far, far more efficient than the last lot.

The trip to   Heathrow was always the scariest part of the return to Canada for me.  One time we nearly missed it due to a traffic jam on the M1.  We literally had to run to the gate.

The next time I was over alone and thought I would take the train back to Lhr.  All was fine until the train stopped just outside the station.  An inspector told me there was some kind of delay at the platform.  Said we were within spitting distance of the platform.  Wouldn't let me get off and run up to the platform either.  Again I made it with minutes to spare.  We too wondered whether to go down the day before and rent a room.  We never did but it was nerve wracking at times.

Always go the day before and stay in a hotel overnight. Plenty of hotels let you park for free whilst you're away, provide a free shuttle and it's roughly the same price as the long stay car park.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, denshaw said:

Instead of expensive car parks try parkonmydrive.com

We do that when we fly from Gatwick, my sister-in-law lives in Horley with plenty of parking space, about 10 mins from the airport. Prefer not to stay there though, we go in the Sofitel and walk into the terminal building, so convenient! 

• Like 2

Just wanted to share a conversation I had with my GP this morning...

He told me on the phone that my recent blood tests showed that my cholesterol was NORMAL, I  WASN'T diabetic and my blood pressure was OK too (for my age)

He said that, taking my age into account, statistics showed that it was only 20% likely that I would have a stroke or heart attack in the next ten years.

He then asked if I wanted to improve on the 1 in 5 chance by taking statins,  which would take it to 1 in 14.  

I was a bit surprised as I know the NHS is strapped for cash, but said I'd give it a go as long as there were no bad side effects.  He said he'd send the prescription over to the pharmacy straightaway and I could collect this afternoon.   

He did say I'd need a blood test in 3 weeks time to make sure my liver function was still OK....

He's certainly into preventative medicine,  or is he doing a case study on me do you think?:Shock:

We've never  discussed it at the surgery.    I thought it a bit strange that he would talk about this on the phone, out of the blue ... it would have worried some people telling them there was a 20% chance they would have a heart attack or stroke in the next ten years!   

Anyway, I now have my Atorvastatin 20mg to take daily.   Paul is already on Simvastatin so we won't get them mixed up!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My husband takes Atorvastatin but hes prone to high colesterol as is his family. But to take it if your colesterol is normal I think I would refuse. I hate taking tablets anyway, I forget to take them when I'm not in pain or if I feel ok. Think he might be on commission.  

Like nonna I find it strange to take tablets for something that results show to be within normal parameters. I've herad of preventative measures but this seems a tablet too far...

I have (mostly forget to take) the same tablets for a cholesterol reading that is slightly high. My doc said it's optional, taking them won't make that much difference and changing my diet would be far more effective.

• Like 2

Good report at the docs yesterday.  BP is ok and stable.  He said to take another eight or so sessions of physio'  Come back in next July as long as no other concerns crop up.  Ok with me, he's a nice enough guy, but I'm not a great fan of the medical system here.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Glad to see the BP is OK Dave. Just don't get agitated, and ruin everything.

• Like 2