Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Do some yoga Loppy. Say Ommmmmmmmm with your eyes closed and relax. You feel a bit daft but its worth a try.:)

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Probably won't do the neighbours BP much good though and perhaps best not to do it in the middle of Walmart ,,,

• Like 1
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Middle of Walmart.  Now,  there's an idea.  My one minute of fame, before they drop me off at the looney bin.  :crazy:   I'll just tell 'em, Brew told me to do it.

The reply to that will be....mild/bitter or a bottle of Yates White Wine sir.

• Like 1

There's a memory for you, schooners of Australian sherry from Yates Wine Lodge, god that was awful stuff

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Brew said:

Probably won't do the neighbours BP much good though and perhaps best not to do it in the middle of Walmart ,,,

Nor in the middle of Santa Maria

1 hour ago, Brew said:

There's a memory for you, schooners of Australian sherry from Yates Wine Lodge, god that was awful stuff

My friends and I, or notts speak, me n me mates were on the ausi sherry in yates, on leaving, one lived in lenton, told me a couple of days later that when he got on the bus,he thought he wanted to go to the toilet, when he got off the bus, he had !! He never went in yates ever again!! Reckons that stuff paralyes the nerves from the neck down.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my weekly weigh in this morning, have kept a check in my weight since losing 2stone before I was diagnosed with my thyroid problem. I have put 2lb on, not much out of what I lost but a start. Then I had a thought does this mean I will just carry on putting on weight even after I have put the 2stone back on? Does this mean I will have to give up chocolate:( Oh well at least it shows the tablets are doing something. I do feel a bit better not so much of the thumping heartbeat but still have odd tired moments when I could fall asleep standing up! Another blood test/telephone appointment with the hospital at the end of the month, hopefully the results will keep on improving so I can stop taking the tablets sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

Hello Staverton Girl, I have been on Thyroxine for twenty years for Underactive Thyroid. My weight still fluctuates, but most of that is family genes, and diet malfunctions. Looking at photos of paternal side, my Nan, and aunties are all 5ft rolypolies and I resemble them very much, so I try not to blame my thyroid entirely for my plumpness. I have had two heart ablations for AF, I now have another kind of arrythmia following the procedures.

Have you been told by a professional that you might one day come off the Thyroxine, because when I was diagnosed in the late 1990s, I was what was called borderline for a while. It was explained to me that once you go on Thyroxine it is usually for life, so the Docs wait until it is positively a Thyroid problem. I have had the dose adjusted over the years, but I am definitely on it for life. I hope you do have the choice of coming off it (Progress) but don't worry if it is for life. It is a life saver, and when your dose is right, it shouldn't cause any problems.

I am borderline overactive so am taking carbimazole only 5mg though. From what I can remember the consultant said you take them for a year to eighteen months and then they try you without them to see if the thyroid has settled back to normal. I had an ultrasound on my thyroid as I have 2 “nodules” in it but these are benign thankfully. I presume this is what is causing the problem but don’t know for sure. I am under the impression that overactive is easier to treat than underactive (might be wishful thinking) and being borderline makes it even easier, don’t know if that is right or not. 

Barry, it is quite common isn't it for men and women I remember being quite frightened when first diagnosed, but don't really think about it now. My heart problems started about a year after I started Thyroxine, so I don't know if they are connected. I take Thyroxine, Warfarin Bisoprolol,Lanzoprolol Atenolol, and I'm so grateful for it all.  I cycle in good weather and excersize wise, that is it. None of my meds stop me from doing anything. The Warfarin is the one I watch. I don't drink alcohol anymore and I worry about accidents. Thats it. Enjoy life and laugh as much as possible. Best Medicine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I just read that as ‘borderline attractive’. I’m sure your gorgeous! :biggrin:

I wish:sorry:

• Like 1

I looked up information on the internet about the condition as the thumping heart was a bit disconcerting to say the least. Some of it was really frightening, thyroid storm and heart arthymia (spelling?) especially. I got a heart rate monitor and found even when it felt my heart was banging against my ribs the rate was actually okay within normal parameters, so stopped looking and trusted the tablets to sort it out. I don’t like taking tablets at the best of times, only take them if I really need to, so am hoping eventually I wont need them anymore. Getting older is such a pain!

• Like 2

I know what you mean, SG.

Went to an orthopedic place  this morning to get a brace for my right foot.  It fits inside the shoe and straps around my leg below the knee.  Seems to be helping me walk better.  When I first got in the car I couldn't feel the gas or brake pedal,  soon picked it up though.  If I get stopped for speeding now I can blame me brace.

• Upvote 3

Just before I went on my hols, I had about four lots of antibiotics for recurrent tooth abscesses.  I ended up with increasingly itchy skin, which I blamed on the antibiotics, especially Clarithromycin, but also put it down to being pretty stressed out.  This continued while I was away and since I came home has been worse.  In addition, I've developed very dry skin everywhere.  I suppose this is partly down to sunbathing, swimming in salty seawater etc., but it's really getting to me now. Also a few small patches of exczema on my hands. (NEVER had exczema before) and odd little splits in skin around knuckles etc.

Moisturising bath/shower washes don't help.  Today I got two types of Aveena moisturiser and used one all over after a shower. Skin feels less dry, but still itchy.  Hopefully this will improve with more use, but any tips welcome.  I always used to be comfortable in my skin and have never experienced this.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it, Col.  I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions, but hoping you can get the better of it now you're back home.

Just a passing thought, I've had success with the odd skin problem with a bit of Aloe Vera juice or cream.  Just try it on a very small area first so it doesn't make the problem worse.  Then assess the results.  It's over the counter stuff and pretty mild. My initials may be DR but I'm no doctor.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I ended up with increasingly itchy skin, which I blamed on the antibiotics,

Moisturising bath/shower washes don't help. 

How weird , I have the same condition .

A few weeks ago had problems in the nether regions and took a few anti- biotics. 

A few days after (water works all ok now) had a 2 hour session of shivering just couldn't get warm , no appetite  . The next night in bed , totally opposite ringing with sweat . 

Then the itching started , just on upper body . Like you , lathering in moisturiser  helps a bit . I thought it some virus as there are odd things going about at the mo. 

Trying anti-histamines to see if they will help and might lather myself in pile cream next ! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have Epaderm ointment for dry, itchy  skin.  It can be used as a skin cleanser, emollient or bath additive - it is on my repeat prescription but can probably be bought over the counter.   It says on the 500g tub that it's  for the treatment of eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions.  It was prescribed by the skin clinic at the hospital so that's why it's still on my prescription.... the GPS don't argue with their advice!  The clinic also prescribed Dermol which can also be used as a soap substitute or emollient.  I just use that in the shower instead of shower gel/crime.  

Hope you can get something which will help, Col

Thanks folks.  I'll note that name Margie.

Tried the lighter 'daily moisturise' stuff today after my shower.  Again.. skin is less obviously dry, but the itching is still there.  When it first started  it was focused on my nether regions and inner thighs and I wondered about the dreaded 'dhobie itch', which you can apparently get if you've had athlete's foot. I had AF recently and sorted it quickly with Lamisil.  That stuff is also recommended for Dhobie, so I tried it but it made no difference and anyway there was nothing to see.  (Some might say there's never been much to see in my nether regions..but that's just a filthy rumour...  :angry:).  Anyway, I mean that there's nothing resembling the red, angry rash that you get ( apparently) with Dhobie.

So.. no resolution yet.  I'm getting odd little 'hive' type bumps practically anywhere.. but the itch doesn't have to have anything visible at all.  It's getting very annoying. Trying to get a Doc's appt.

DJ I use aloe vera for many things even drinking it. My daughter when she was younger had problems with her skin and she was recommended e45 cream. She had to lather herself in it and take a warm bath and soak for 1/2 hour. She has never had any more problems.

I have had a bout of itchy skin but I put it down to not drinking enough water to remain hydrated. I ordered a load of E45 products from Amazon.UK as we cant get it here. We can get it from Amazon.it but it costs twice as much so I ordered it from UK. I started using the cream and the itching subsided, then the care home where my mother informed us that her skin was very dry and wanted us to buy a cream for her but I've told them not to get anything for her without informing us. (they get it from the chemist and don't care what they pay. ) anyway I gave them my E45 cream 500ml.  its doing well for her skin. Now I have to order it again for me.

BTW the Aloe Vera that I drink is Aloe ARBORESCENS. I buy the leaves and make it up myself.

Have you also tried Calendula cream?

• Like 2

Googling "anti-biotics" and "itching" does bring up a number of hits saying that one in ten people have allergic reactions and one of those can result in hives .

I think this is what's affected me as it's the first time I've taken strong anti bacs. I'm continuing with the anti histamines and the itching (all upper body) is slowly receding .

• Like 1