Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Had a torn meniscus removed about 30 years ago.  I think they're a bit more sophisticated with the surgery than they were then....

Col, you're probably  right.  When I worked at Harlow Wood, the meniscectomy patients were in hospital for quite a while 

With me it depended which of two surgeons you got....

One was called Strack.  His method was to remove the cartilage, have the poor victim bed bound for three weeks then they walked out.

Can't remember my surgeons name but I was in for a week.  Then had a Robert Jones bandage on for about three weeks, then a few weeks of physio. When the Robert Jones bandage was taken off, my knee was completely locked in the straight position.  Took a bit of bending..and that hurt!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Had a torn meniscus removed about 30 years ago.  I think they're a bit more sophisticated with the surgery than they were then....

Had keyhole surgery, the surgeon just cleaned the little bits up. Day Hospital, crutches and physio and lots of TLC.:rolleyes:

Despite trying moisturisers and assorted other creams.. and also taking a mild anti-histamine ( Loratadine) daily... the itch continues.  In the worst areas the itches are sudden. almost like electric shocks, or wasp bites, but there's little or nothing much to see. While some areas are worse than others, especially legs and forearms.. if I touch practically any area on my body it will react sensitively and start to itch.  same in the shower, even with the pressure and temp down low.. the water hitting the skin is enough to set off a reaction.

I made a doc's appt. about a week or so back but it isn't until 6th April and after today I decided I really can't wait that long, so called them and got an appt. for Monday next. Can't stand much more of this.

Col, perhaps it's shingles?  That can sometimes present as an itch but also it can be very painful.  However, that is usually round the ribs or sometimes in the face, so I suppose it's unlikely to be that..

hope your doctor will be able to work out what's wrong... it must be horrible for you x

We had similar RR, used a different detergent and it started my dermatitis off again, not had a flare up for years prior

Col i feel for you,,my itching started before Xmas,, Arms and Legs,,much worse at night,,had to resort to 'Sleeping tablets',,,since it began have visited the Doctor 4 times,,they Prescribed Anti-Histas and a different cream each time......its only just started to recede,,,due i think to the latest cream,,,of which i can't recall the name......(cream upstairs)     i'll look later and give you the name,,,,

Edit  Betamethasone Valerate''    its worked for me,,,and could save you weeks of trying others.......good luck...........

• Like 2

Don't think it's shingles Margie. I've had that and this is very different.  More like what Ben is describing. No rash to speak of.  We haven't changed detergents. My money is still on the antibiotics..There's quite a bit of chatter on the internet about lasting effects from antibiotics.. especially Clarithromycin.  But will just have to wait and see what the Doc says.

Thats right Col,, no Rash.........and the more you Scratch the more it bleddy 'Itches'..........must be sumat we picked up on Bestwood estate in the 50s,,,,,,,,lol

• Like 1

That'll be 'Commonasmuckitis'..  No cure...

• Like 2

Funny enough as a School boy in the 50s........don't really remember having any 'Illness''........apart from me Dads favourite word for being 'Badly'' he'd say he felt a bit 'Billious'..........don't hear that nowadays.............

My Grandads cure for everything was TCP in one form or another..............Gargled it,,Rubbed it on cuts and bruises,,sprayed it on most things,,even sucked the Tablets;like a sweet,,,he lived on Saxondale drive and i'm sure i could smell it from ''Marble Arch''............(not the one in London)

• Like 1

That cream is a cortico steroid, I think,  and will possibly only be on prescription?

I remember when Drs Reid, Murray or Stillman from Boowul Main Street would come out to see us as kids and we had the likes of Chicken Pox or German Measles, or if Mum was worried about something.  We often ended up with bottles of stuff.  Sometimes red, sometimes green to take by the spoonful.  The green stuff was really nice.  I have no idea what the flavour was.. but it was delish..

Remember the name Dr.Stillman,,,,,our Doctor for years was Dr Clarke,,corner of Arnold and Hucknall road........lovely chap.....liked a Fag................

19 minutes ago, MargieH said:

That cream is a cortico steroid, I think,  and will possibly only be on prescription?

Excactly that Margie...................

Not my ailment .. my aunty collapsed last week and became unconscious but our wonderful ambulance service got to us quickly. As she is 96 we panicked but they got her to hospital where she stayed for 5 days, today we are in Harrogate for the flower show only difference is she is in a wheelchair and happy to be here. You don't always get a happy ending when people are old but she's a stubborn old b....r and is going nowhere.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Bit the bullet today and went to doctor as my leg is still a bit uncomfortable (nearly put went to doctor with my leg but that sounded wrong it sounded like I was accompanying it!) Nothing nasty lurking there (blood clot) he says it is muscle damage. Must say he found exactly where it was painful nearly hit the ceiling. I am wondering if it is a muscle tear as it seems to be going on for a while. I will give it another couple of days and then a possible visit to a physio could be looming to see what they say. Bit miffed about it as the wood we visit with my boys has all the bluebells out now, like a blue carpet apparently, and I have missed them as I am stuck in the house. Oh well, will have to think up a outrageous reason why I have done it to tell my great great (that is the right amount of greats, makes me feel about 100 especially when they come running up to me calling me great great aunt) neices when they come down next week with my great niece. I know a teacher who fell off her bike in the school holidays and when back at school told the kids she did it tackling a burgular. They were well impressed for a bit..

• Upvote 2

Got up this morning and my leg seemed okay. One of my boys was being taken on the full walk we usually do but thought I would take the other one to the nearby park. Waited half an hour after the first one went out and then decided to try half the usual walk just to see if everything was okay (if it was no trip to physio). Did that, sat down on bench and felt okay so have done full walk, Wolf met his brother in the woods, lots of greeting and silliness, would think they hadn’t seen each other for days. The bluebells looked amazing, glad I did it. I am back home now and so far so good, no pain or ache as yet. Just have to wait to see what tomorrow will bring. However on the way back came across dog owners with 2 yappy snappy small dogs, one of which was muzzled. They seemed to think it was okay for their dogs to run up to my two big boys who were both on short leads barking aggressively and the muzzled one would have bitten if it could. It really annoys me, if my boys had reacted and bitten they could have been badly hurt. They didn’t know how my boys were going to react and got narky when we fended them off. Dog owners like that really p**s me off.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

As with humans, the little un's have got the most yap !

• Upvote 1

Finally saw a Doc yesterday.  Skin itch no better.  Probably a bit worse.  I used no creams or owt yesterday so the Doc could see me in all my natural glory. He doubts anything like Scabies.  Sent me for bloods all of which are back already.  Nothing too remarkable.  Very slightly low Iron (probably the booze..  I'll go back on the B Vit supplements) and raised Bilirubin.  I always have that.. Gilbert's Syndrome I believe.  But nothing dramatic.. which is good.

Prescribed another cream.  'Dermocool', which is basically moisturiser with a bit of Menthol for 'cooling'.  Warnings all over about it being highly flammable.  Bleddy good job I don't smoke any more or I'd be liable to self- imolate.. 

Tried it last night and woke up worse than ever this morning.  Think i'll pass. Also suggested I get some Cinnarizine from pharmacy. 'Only a quid over the counter'. Nope  4 quid. Should've got that on prescription.  It's Stugeron under its proper name... another antihistamine.  Makes me feel rough and no effect on itching yet.  May pass on that too.

Have another appointment in two weeks but if it carries on like this I'll be back there a lot sooner.

• Upvote 1

My back problem. I have been using a plaster to ease the pain in my back now for7 weeks and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. However he has increased the dose to 10mg and today is the first day of a higher dose so was very careful and only had a sip of wine as I wasn't sure how I would react. On the way to the restaurant (anniversary lunch) it was all bends and hills and I felt a bit iffy but it soon passed but the plasters aren't supposed to kick in until after 3 days so lets hope,I have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon in 3 weeks so will see what the odds are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome nonna. I've had back problems for at least two and a half years now, and the doctors just put it down to wear and tear. It severely affects my movement when gardening , and DIYing, and no two days are the same pain wise.

I just have to be careful when lifting things. I've tried every lotion, potion and cream available, but nothing is very effective I'm afraid.