Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

When I was young and still living at home, the only alcohol in our house was when my dad had a small glass of port at Christmas - and I seem to remember there being sherry for visitors occasionally.   There was no beer, lager, wine or spirits.... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

15 minutes ago, MargieH said:

dad had a snall glass of port at Christmas

Mams Christmas treat - Advocaat and lemonade. Can't remember if it was a SNALL  glass or not!    :P

Brief partial respite yesterday, but the itching is back with a vengeance.

Just reading all sorts of horror stories about assorted itches picked up from Sandflies and sea bathing in Mexico... 

Who knows?

Since using this medicinal patch for my back, I've been virtually pain free but there are side effects (like always) Nausia! From Sunday until today I've been living on toast and crackers. 

Hopefully it will ease a bit the longer I keep it on. I have to change them after 7 days and can't take them off unless its under medical control. I'm hungry but can't stand the thought of food.

• Upvote 2

Glad the pain is subsiding nonna, but the thought of no substantial food is a bit off putting.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Brief partial respite yesterday, but the itching is back with a vengeance.

Just reading all sorts of horror stories about assorted itches picked up from Sandflies and sea bathing in Mexico... 

Who knows?

I've learnt a new word from the soap 'Doctors' on TV.   "Cyberchondriac". 

But, of course, we all do it and sometimes we're right!

• Like 1
On 4 maggio 2019 at 10:32 AM, MargieH said:

I've learnt a new word from the soap 'Doctors' on TV.   "Cyberchondriac". 

But, of course, we all do it and sometimes we're right!

Yes Margie a lot of new words, phrases and sarcastic cartoons are surfacing on here. But they're not always the right ones to fit the offering.

I've recently increased my medication patch and don't know if I've done the right thing. The first few days apart from nausea were great. No pain. Since then I have had more pain than I can sometimes stand. I'm having moments when I feel really confused and seem to be out of myself. It soon passes but its unnerving . I've told the dr that if I'm still going to have pain with this increase , I would sooner have no patch even if I still have the pain. I want to be without but have to do it carefully and gradually lower the dose. I am now on a smaller dose and will continue until 17 th this month when I see the neuro surgeon, hoping that something can be done quickly. I know I do too much but I can't hang around doing nothing . I get told off for not resting, but to me resting is a waste of time and we don't know how much longer we have. BTW I'm not going without a struggle.

12 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

I get told off for not resting, but to me resting is a waste of time

Really nonna you must make your family so cross! Resting may not be a waste of time, it may be a way to increase it. Just you jolly well do as you're told and start to relax..........

My dad was the same, "I don't need to take me tablets I don't feel  poorly"...

Brew I know you're right but I have this desire to do something all the time whether it's cooking, baking, gardening ( that's a laugh for a start , I have difficulty bending and straightening up again but I try) even just tidying up etc.

This patch I have changed makes me so sleepy. Last night I went to bed at 10 pm and woke up at 10 am . I couldn't get out of bed and had to sit on the edge for 15 minutes before I could stand. I'm having my breakfast now and then after taking a paracetamol I'm going to go back to bed to "straighten out", then spend an hour in my special chair. Hopefully by then the pain in my hip will subside. My back is the problem not the hip, but Dr says it's the nerve that is causing the pain.

I have a pan full of filling made for the cottage pies and my daughter brought home a huge plastic box. full of ragu for the lasagne. Sorry but now they are in the freezer and will have to wait one at a time for when my daughter is at home to or help. My husband can't do or help as he is in the same position but with his back and knee. 

Going to finish my cuppa and bed here I come.

Sorry to read all about your pain and health problems, nonna.   I hope the pain will ease and you'll 'straighten out' in an hour or so. xx

• Like 1

Bleddy feet,,hate,hate,hate,,just the site of em,,,even my own,,no sorry especially my own,,,..................been suffering badly with my 'Ingrowing Toe Nail,,

Doctor gave me choice yesterday..........Surgery? or no socks with open toed shoes?         Surgery coming up soon !!!!

• Like 2

Margie , thank you so much. I'm now sitting in my special chair which supports all the painful areas. Sitting near the window getting some fresh air and sunshine. Roll,on 17 th when I can find out what's to be done.

• Like 1

Ben, sorry you are suffering with your feet. My son had an ingrown toe nail and after suffering with it he decided to have an operation to remove the nail completely. He's glad he had it done. He.'s on his feet all day and evening so it was important that his feet were in order.

• Like 2

Hope you feel better soon Nonna. 

And Ben.. I think a pair of Jesus Sandals and Cargo Shorts down to your calves, (no socks.. obvs...) would look fab with that nice black blazer, check shirt and tie you like so much.

• Like 4

Have you stopped being 'ministered to' by your Russian lady, Ben?    I thought she was sorting out your foot problems (painfully!)

• Like 2

Still seeing her Margie......don't think she caused my latest problem.......not had problem for couple of years since her regular treatment,,,,,thought she was keeping it at bay...........obviously not,,,

• Upvote 1

Itchiness no better.  Woke up especially uncomfortable this morning.  So, decided to give the prescribed cream another go. 'Dermocool' or summat.  Stinks of Menthol and is very greasy, but I was desperate.  And anyway I don't think my skin is dry anymore as I've used enough 'Lard' of different types to keep a Chippy going for months.

90 minutes in and I don't think it made any more difference than just taking a cool shower.  Also I'm sick of grease transferring to the few clothes I'm really comfortable in.  Been washing and drying the same few things by the minute.

So, I'll probably be back in for a quick shower in an hour or so.

I have a Docs appontment on Monday and I'll be reporting 'no change'. If he suggests another bloody cream and 'come back in two weeks', I'm going to have to tell him that a week is torture, two weeks is not happening.

Col,,did you try that cream i told you about ?........it cured me,,,and i had the 'Itch' for 4 months............

On the tube,,its called 'Betamethasone Valerate'  'Betnovate cream'        

• Like 1

I've been using some out of date Fucibet, which contains Betamethasone Valerate, but also an antibiotic called Fusidic Acid. but a bit cautiously and only on worst areas.  The stuff the Doc gave me is basically just grease with a bit of menthol, so it's not what you'd call 'pharmacologically active', like Betawotsit etc.  I'll be dicussing this with the Doc on Monday.

Sounds like you need an 'in date'  steroid cream and forget about the other creams.  Anyway,  the very greasy creams are a bit dangerous sometimes as they make the bath/ shower very slippery when combined with warm water  (and I don't need any falls now or ever!)

You may well be right Margie.

You have a message.