Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Probably not as painful as Albert's condition, but as I'm sitting here typing, my dreaded 'itch', is in full spate.

'Col,, just ask for that cream i told you about......mine started again the other day........just a dab     and it was gone...........

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

36 minutes ago, MargieH said:

It must be disappointing to hear that news, Catfan, but I suppose if it's necessary then you'll have to keep on having laser treatment .....because that's better than the alternative of doing nothing.   How soon will you be able to get an appointment?   

Next week seeing the consultant luck would have it. 

• Like 1

DJ360. So sorry about your ongoing problem , I know it can get you down and I sympathise as I am now experiencing withdrawel symptoms from removing my Busette patch. My Dr reduced the dose and said to take the patch off after a while, but maybe my fault taking it off too soon. I "stood" 4 nights of pure hell with my legs. I've always suffered with RLS but this was much much worse . I spent the whole of the 4 nights walking the floor to get some relief which on returning to bed did very little .I saw my Dr yesterday morning and he's given me some tablets to take twice a day. Last night was the first time the problem didn't bother me. Great but I don't want to get hooked on them. The chemist for the weekend suggested I took some bromazapam that did relieve it for about 2 hours but then again I was afraid of relying on it. So now will see how I react with these tablets.

Good luck with your visit and hope you find relief.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Probably not as painful as Albert's condition, but as I'm sitting here typing, my dreaded 'itch', is in full spate.

'Itch' isn't really the word, because at present it's like a million wasp stings a minute, mostly (this time) around my right arm and shoulder, with odd contributions from my left shoulder and thighs.  It can also be a tingling or burning and I've also noticed odd little joint and muscle pains.  The hives come and go, mostly on arms, but can be anywhere.  It is more or less bearable during the day, but really kicks in after my evening meal and peaks until I give up and have a couple of brandies which helps, but probably isn't a viable long term solution. I mostly wake up pretty itch free, but it starts again within minutes.

I also noticed today that after a bit of relatively light lifting of compost and large pots in the garden, most of my symptoms are on my right arm and shoulder, and generally on my right side.  That's where I had two small strokes over ten years ago.  I have no idea if there's a connection after all this time.

I have another Doc's appointment in the morning. Third in six weeks.  I think I can say with some confidence that 'try this new cream and come back in 2 weeks'.. is not the correct answer.

Ayup DJ 360, Do you have a cat or a dog ?

We once had a cat with fleas ! Bit itchy !

• Like 1

Nonna, I think it would be best to take the tablets as prescribed by your doctor and 'worry' about getting dependent on them later!   You can't keep going without proper sleep, and stress and tiredness will make any problem worse.    I think you are probably right in saying that perhaps you took the patch off too early.  I believe that most drugs that can be addictive are  best being reduced very gradually to allow your body and brain the time to adapt to life without them.  

(One notable exception, in my opinion,  is when giving up cigarettes.... They aren't prescription drugs, anyway, therefore they don't have a proscribed 'dose.'  People will smoke as many cigarettes as they want at any given time, depending on their mood/stress levels/social situation etc.).  You can tell I used to be a smoker, can't you!

I really hope you'll find a solution that suits you, nonna xx

Thanks for all queries and suggestions. re: my Itch'.

No Cats or Dogs here for over 20 years.

After another consultation the Doc came up with three things.  1. A short course of the corticosteroid Prednisolone at 20 mg per day for three days.  He said this might well calm things down a bit but the effect might only last as long as the course.  First dose has already calmed down the redness and some of the itch.

2. He's going to consult an online advice line they have access to.

3. He's referring me to Dermatology.

Finally, he also said that if I want I can switch to a 'drowsy' Antihistamine such as Chlorpheniramine (Piriton) to help me to sleep. 

But for now I'm just taking the Prednisolone and carrying on with the Fexofenadine.  Only change one thing at a time or it's difficult to know what's doing what.

• Upvote 1

Re: Cigarettes.  Long before I gave up smoking, one Doc said that he thought Nicotine was a 'fantastic' drug if only it wasn't so addictive.  But then aren't they all?  Those of us who have had Heroin (coyly described by its chemical name 'Diamorphine') for heart attacks etc., will all know what a fabulously relaxed, warm and untroubled feeling it gives. Sadly not one that can be repeated often without severe consequences.  Same as with Tranquillisers such as Valium. 

Antidepressants on the other hand are horrible things in my experience. Even things like very low dose Amitryptilene (Sp?) for nerve pain make me feel rotten and the newer SSRIs don't suit either.

Col, pleased the Prednisolone seems to be having an effect.... at least you should get 3 days (reasonably) itch free.   

• Like 1

Margie I don't intend giving these tablets up for the moment , they gIve me a lot of relief but the down sIde is that they make me dozy. ( no comments please)

I was like a zombie yesterday but better today and I sleep Very well. I woke at 10.15 this morning and I could go to sleep now.

The problem with lowering the Busette patch dose is that the doses go from 5 micrograms up to about 60. I started on 5 and increased to 10 because I was in so much pain. I didn't feel any relief at all in fact it was worse thats why I went back to 5. Unfortunatey 5 is the lowest dose and then where do you go? The Dr said that other treatments were available and thats what he gave me.Gabapentin. I do not have to interupt the medication without the advice of Dr. So I think it may be mildy addictive.

• Upvote 1

Well the itch returned this evening as per usual, but with a lot less ferocity.  Here's hoping it will be a bit better tomorrow.

• Like 1

This is more of a story, but with a medical theme.  Forgive me if I've told it before. It was initially quite comic, but later tragic.

Around 1970, I often went to the Grosvenor in Mansfield Rd on a Sunday lunchtime, with an acquaintance called Phil. We loved the 'craic' in there, and the Steak Sandwiches. This particular Sunday there were a couple of chaps in there who I somehow knew were on a 'pass out' , or had 'sneaked out', from Mapperley Hospital  (Somebody told me or whatever.. I really don't recall.)

Either way, one of these guys was massive.  He towered over me and I was close to 6 feet tall.  He was also heavily built.  This bloke was next to me as I went to the bar.  He was determinedly throwing a pint down his neck, when he suddenly fell backwards and crashed full length onto the floor...where he stayed.

In no time, a nurse, known to us I think as Viv, appeared.  She was tiny, but had a loud voice and a manner which you just didn't ignore.  She barked to me and Phil.  "You two.. pick him up"  We obeyed instantly and without question.. though quite how we did it I don't know. I was built like a streak of rainwater and Phil was about 4ft 6.  Must have been pure fear of Viv.  She ordered us to take the semi-conscious Massive Bloke to the Gents and crashed in behind us, causing major panic amongst assorted blokes standing at the 'stalls'.  'Hold him up there', she said.. pointing to the stalls.  She then ordered another terrified bloke to go and fetch two pints of water.

The bloke returned very quickly with two pints, whereupon Viv drew herself up to her full height, pulled the big bloke's head back by the hair and literally poured two pints of water down his throat.

Next, and in a move worthy of a master of the Martial Arts, she turned away from him, rolled her eyes back in her head, clenched both fists together and, swinging around, whacked him so hard in the lower back the impact echoed round the tiles.

The other effect of the blow was that the Big Bloke immediately threw up water,  beer, and the empty, partially dissolved gelatine capsules of assorted drugs.

I  was seriously impressed, and even more scared.

Viv ordered us to take the bloke up to Mapperley Hospital, which we did, in Phil's Dormobile, and with some difficulty.  When we got there, we delivered the Big Bloke to a chap on a gate.  A bottle of pills fell out of his pocket into Phil's van.  It was nearly full of Tuinal

https://www.oxfordtreatment.com/tuinal/

I knew what Tuinal was and what it was worth on the 'recreational' market, though I've never had it myself.  I was briefly tempted, but handed it to the hospital gate bloke.

I've no idea what happened to 'Big Bloke', but I now suspect he was an alcoholic in the days when Tuinal was used in the withdrawal process.

• Upvote 1

Viv sounds like a formidable nurse!  I expect she was shadowing the patients from Mapperley on their outing as part of their treatment/rehabilitation....

• Like 2

Well the three days of bliss whilst on steroids expired Thursday and from yesterday the itch gradually returned, though not the full rash.. (yet). Called the Doc's yesterday afternoon who said they'd received a response from the Dermatology Helpline, but only just, and would be passing it to Doc, who would likely not have time to look at it till Monday.  And he's all booked up for next two weeks. Asked them politely to do their best to get him to see me or call me ASAP.

Annoyingly, I've found a few old prednisolone tablets in the bottom of my 'Meds' tin. Enough for 7 days at the dosage I've just had (20mg per day)  The tabs are well out of date but I'm strongly tempted, and an online search shows that most 'solid' meds don't deteriorate if still in packaging. It's a bit like dying of thirst just out of reach of a dripping tap... :(

• Like 1

Drs being booked up for the next two weeks. It's getting worse, who predicts that they will need the dr in the next 2 weeks. I agree the appointment system, we have it here too but there is a zero wait that you can go to the only thing is it's usually early morning. More popular at the hospitals. It does save a lot of worry and agro. When you need a doctor, you need a doctor not a long wait.

I sometimes get itchy but luckily my allergy tablets alleviate it quickly. You. Have my sympathy can’t imagine anything worse, hope the dermotology helpline can sort something out for you. Not sure about the out of date medication though, could still be a bit risky?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Well the three days of bliss whilst on steroids expired Thursday and from yesterday the itch gradually returned, though not the full rash.. (yet). Called the Doc's yesterday afternoon who said they'd received a response from the Dermatology Helpline, but only just, and would be passing it to Doc, who would likely not have time to look at it till Monday.  And he's all booked up for next two weeks. Asked them politely to do their best to get him to see me or call me ASAP.

Annoyingly, I've found a few old prednisolone tablets in the bottom of my 'Meds' tin. Enough for 7 days at the dosage I've just had (20mg per day)  The tabs are well out of date but I'm strongly tempted, and an online search shows that most 'solid' meds don't deteriorate if still in packaging. It's a bit like dying of thirst just out of reach of a dripping tap... :(

I wouldn't hesitate Col at best you get some relief, at worst they will be ineffective - what's to lose?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's tempting Brew and now not only the itch, but the rash, has returned.  Thing is, prednisolone is a very powerful drug, described as having 'no safe doseage'. It seems they usually want to limit use to 'flattening' an allergic response, then tapering off the dose.

The list of potential side effects is even more endless than the usual stuff with any drug these days.  It includes increased risk of glaucoma, heart failure and a number of other issues I already have ( though only lightly at present). Doc was very careful to instruct me to closely observe all the little wounds I have from involuntary scratching and to seek help immediately if any get infected. This steroid lowers resistance to infection.

So, I'll be a brave soldier and wait to see what develops tomorrow.

If I'm expected to wait more than a day or so I'll ask for more Prednisolone.  But then it's possible the Dermatologist will want tests, which will rule that out.

We shall see.

DJ, it's probably silly me asking, but have you considered it could be a nerve thing rather than physical?  I'm not teaching gran to suck eggs but just looking at another side. Only trying to help in my inefficient way. Sometimes psychological stress can cause visible effects. Beekay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

STRESS, STRESS ! We don't get stress on here ! How very dare you? 

Nobody said anything about stress on here. The lad must have more things in his life than NS. Just saying is all. Stress can be caused by various things. But I'm probably way off track, what do I know ?

• Like 1

One of the side effects of my Ramipril is a permanent dry cough. It amuses me whenever I see an advert saying '  if you've had your cough for three weeks, check with your pharmacist '. I've had my bloody cough over three years.