Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

DJ, it's probably silly me asking, but have you considered it could be a nerve thing rather than physical?  I'm not teaching gran to suck eggs but just looking at another side. Only trying to help in my inefficient way. Sometimes psychological stress can cause visible effects. Beekay.

A very reasonable point BK.  When this first showed itself in a small way before I went to Mexico, I wondered because I had been very stressed out.  However, it really came on with a vengeance a week or so after I got back from Mexico.  I had pretty dry skin from sea swimming and sun exposure and put it down to that.  However, I've sorted the dry skin and it's continued.  I'm not especially stressed out and I keep trying to distract myself, but it just carries on.  Antihistamines have no effect and the only thing that helped was three days on steroids.  I'm awaiting some sort of contact from the Doc's as they now have an email response from a consultant.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

14 minutes ago, Beekay said:

One of the side effects of my Ramipril is a permanent dry cough. It amuses me whenever I see an advert saying '  if you've had your cough for three weeks, check with your pharmacist '. I've had my bloody cough over three years.

Never been on ramipril, but they did start me in Lisinopril (Another 'ACE inhibitor') years ago. Made me feel awful so they swapped me from ACE inhibitors onto an A2 inhibitor called Losartan, which apparently does the same job.  If your cough bothers you it might be worth checking with the Doc to see if there's an alternative?

Moving back onto topic...

I heard nothing from the Doc's yesterday, so went to my online 'Consultations' record and it said 'Book Appointment' and pointed me to that rarest of things.. an available appointment next morning, first thing.

So was at Doc's at 8 this a.m.

Dermatologist has requested more blood tests, to eliminate a couple of possibilities. Will fast tonight and get those done early tomorrow.  Also a Chest X-Ray, which I shot down to St Helens and got done straight after Doc's. Also suggested a treatment involving covering myself in some sort of steroid cream and covering up with bandages, but only if things don't continue to settle. Doesn't sound like much fun but I don't know the details yet.

Doc's of the opinion that I'm getting on top of this thing and should just work on keeping skin moist and doing all I can to break the 'itch-scratch' cycle.  Also advised carrying on with fexofenadine and adding piriton x2 at night. To be fair, it hasn't returned quite so viciously since the Steroid course, but it's still with me day and night.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Moving back onto topic...

Also suggested a treatment involving covering myself in some sort of steroid cream and covering up with bandages, but only if things don't continue to settle. Doesn't sound like much fun but I don't know the details yet.

Don’t book a holiday to Egypt til you’re sorted DJ

AB5-D2-EC4-4-BFE-4-D42-8133-CA93492-F541

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Listen to what Mummy says. No, seriously, I hope you get sorted Colin, I have had allergic reactions and the itching is beyond terrible. Can only sympathize.

• Like 1

Col, I've been for a chest X-ray this morning same as you, but I'm not itching.... only coughing

• Like 1

Aren't the trucks very well then ? I see one is already in recovery.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, MargieH said:

Col, I've been for a chest X-ray this morning same as you, but I'm not itching.... only coughing

Funny thing Margie, I wasn't coughing before the Chest X-Ray, but was for about 30 minutes after.  Very odd.  :blink:

Col, Was it because you had to breathe in as deeply as you could and then 'hold your breath' whilst the X-ray was carried out?   If you don't normally breathe really deeply, this might make you cough?

Don't know Margie. May just have been coincidence. Veg sellers were setting up outside as I left. Maybe some dust from their van.

Heard today that I have my pre recovery appointment booked for next Wednesday so it may not be too long before I have my op. I have to go to Turin the appointment is 8am. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I hope all goes well nonna, after all this time you deserve some respite.

Edit:

oo oo I forgot to  say ....     TAKE IT EASYYYYYY

• Like 1

I'll second that Brew.

Hope all goes well Nonna.

As for the itch.  It's still with me all the time but slightly less intense. Got my x-Ray results.  All clear.  Got the bloods too. Slightly anaemic, as ever. Raised bilirubin, as ever.

On the other hand my eosinophil count, whilst raised, is lower than last time.

Eosinophils are a clear marker for allergic response.. but you all knew that anyway...  So lowered levels is good.. moving in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Heard today that I have my pre recovery appointment booked for next Wednesday so it may not be too long before I have my op. I have to go to Turin the appointment is 8am. 

Good news Nonna. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this will put an end to your suffering nonna. Great news.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

As for the itch.  It's still with me all the time but slightly less intense

Having followed what is turning into a bit of saga I take my hat off to you for your patience. To say I'm not in the least impressed with your doctors is something of an understatement.

• Like 1

Hope all goes well Nonna, wish you all the very best. Then I can bully you without feeling guilty.. B.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Moving in the right direction politically as well Col?

That may be the underlying cause of the problem!

Nice thought Phil but I doubt it.  You'r confusing things which make my skin itch, with things that make it crawl....  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now there you're correct.  I'm very aware of the 'psychomatic' and 'stress' elements in all of this.  Avid online discussion of many things is part of my relaxation...  :)