Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Thankyou everyone for the encouragement it does make things a little easier to know that someone else besides the family is thinking about me. I phoned my cousin in Australia this morning , he's been having a tough time.its a bit complicated but basically he has a sort of cancer around his heart.the medical explanation is a stiff heart. but after chemo its cleared and is normal. The last 4 days they have been collecting stem cells and they are quite pleased with the result. It was really a relief to speak to him as we hadn't heard how in was in the last few months. He sounded great, him and his wife have just come back from Japan and now he tells me they are hoping to see us in Sept. he's touring Europa again seeing the places he missed a couple of years ago.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
On 6/5/2019 at 7:23 PM, Brew said:

Having followed what is turning into a bit of saga I take my hat off to you for your patience. To say I'm not in the least impressed with your doctors is something of an understatement.

Thing is Brew, a quick google around 'chronic hives/urticaria', or 'chronic itch/pruritis', will often come up with the phrases  'extremely common' and  'notoriously difficult to treat'.  

I'm giving it a week of so to see if it resolves further. It's incessant and still 'global', but not as bad as it was. I'm also trying a few other things to ease it.

If it doesn't continue to improve, I'll go back and further investigate the 'mummification' treatment mentioned last time I saw the Doc.

I've had four consultations, a couple of prescriptions and numerous blood tests.  I don't think it's fair to criticise the Docs. They are going through a logical sequence of tests and treatments.

It's not the treatment it's the time you tell us it takes to get an appointment...

You can get 'urgent' appointments on the same day, but there's not much point with this really. I booked my first appointment re: this with my nominated Doc but that was two weeks away and as things got worse I called again on a Friday and got an appointment with someone else for the following Monday.  I've had four consultations since then and it is sadly a case of giving treatments and strategies a bit of time to work.  The only thing which has stopped the itch is oral steroids, but they aren't a long term option.

What makes you say that?

15 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

I managed to get an appointment for  4.30 pm- - - - - a fortnight from today.

Ridiculous! That's just the sort of thing that has people thinking maybe going to private health care is no bad thing.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, DJ360 said:

Nice thought Phil but I doubt it.  You'r confusing things which make my skin itch, with things that make it crawl....  :)

Hi DJ.

I had an on going itch for 18months plus

Mainly around waist but also knees fore arms hands and armpits.

Went to the docs and he diagnosed crabs!

WTF??! No chance!

So he reluctantly put scabies on my notes. But had treatment for scabies.

After 8 months and numerous visits and different docs i had a blood test at qmc, and also a skin biopsy.

It turns out my midnight scratching and rashes are caused by a gluten intolerance, (celiac).

Changed my diet to gluten free which was an eye opener and slowly now seeing the benefits of my health improving. Without going into detail re the symptoms, I'd recommend at least googling the condition.

Problem is, although supermarkets and eateries now cater for gluten free, its become a fad diet whereby people just go gluten free to lose weight, but mine is a recognised medical condition.

Hope I've helped.

Martin.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

Have had Sciatica for the last seven weeks and the pain at the moment is severe but rang the Doctors today and lucky old me, I managed to get an appointment for  4.30 pm- - - - - a fortnight from today.

Have you tried physiotherapy Geoffrey?  I had the worst sciatica 3 years ago following abdominal surgery.  After struggling with terrible pain, a limp and a floppy foot for nearly 6 months my consultant arranged for me to have an MRI scan (which I paid for, rather than wait too long) Then I paid to see (possibly) the best spinal surgeon in the area who said I had a bulging disc but he didn’t want to operate and suggested a course of physiotherapy.  The exercises certainly helped but for another year I got cramp in that leg regularly.  Three years on and I have no pain.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There aren’t any Geoffrey, I was taking so many strong painkillers, even morphine, but nothing worked all they did was make me feel extremely weary.   Best to get on the waiting list for NHS physio asap or be prepared to pay about £35 a session privately.   You may get some relief in bed by using pillows to raise your leg.  You have my sympathy, best wishes. 

Geoffrey, I've suffered from back aches and pains for over two and a half years now, and was told by the doctor that it was just wear and tear. He sent me for self physiotherapy whereby I had to go for six sessions of an hour each. I was ok at first, but the last couple of sessions were extremely painful. I didn't partake in doing them at home.

I've tried most ointments, with no success, so I just rely on paracetamol when it's most painful. 

The thing is, don't stop doing what you normally undertake. I walk a lot, still do gardening and DIY, and generally keep fit.

I have good and bad days, but now just get on with life.

5 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Hi DJ.

WTF??! No chance!

After 8 months and numerous visits and different docs i had a blood test at qmc, and also a skin biopsy.

It turns out my midnight scratching and rashes are caused by a gluten intolerance, (celiac).

Changed my diet to gluten free which was an eye opener and slowly now seeing the benefits of my health improving. Without going into detail re the symptoms, I'd recommend at least googling the condition.

Problem is, although supermarkets and eateries now cater for gluten free, its become a fad diet whereby people just go gluten free to lose weight, but mine is a recognised medical condition.

Hope I've helped.

Martin.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Martin.

I'll check it out.

Col

Thanks for the advice and concern LizzieM and FLY2, but before I update on the Sciatica, I think that I should explain at this stage that I have had Rhuematoid Arthritis for about 10 years now, have already had a knee replaced and  know a lot about pain.In my experience Rheumatoid pain comes on gradually and I have developed a high tolerance towards that, whilst Sciatic pain comes from nowhere and catches me unprepared. However back to the Sciatica. I rang the Doctors at 8 am this morning and nearly dropped the phone in surprise when the call was answered immediately. Normally the phone rings out engaged and by the time you do get through, any spare "appointments" have been allocated. Anyway I explained my predicament to the receptionist who said I was being offered a telephone consultation and would be rung back by a Doctor before midday. The telephone rang at 9.30 am and having explained my symptoms to an anonymous doctor, I was offered an appointment to see a Locum at 12.20 pm today, an offer which I gratefully accepted. I arrived at the Health Centre at 12.05 pm and was seen by the Doctor at 12.40 pm He asked me about my symptoms, pushed and prodded my back through my clothes, told me he was going to prescribe a medication called Nortriptyline, would arrange for me to see a Physiotherapist and sent me on my way. I was in the surgery for all of 6 minutes. I did not even get chance to sit down. The Doctor was a smashing caring bloke who I did not recognise but would be happy to see again, but what I do not understand is why, having been with the same practice for 47 years, with no history of time wasting , I wasn`t given the appointment yesterday. Ironically there was an information board in the waiting room seeking new patients. Why, if they cannot cope with the numbers already there? .

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Hi DJ.

WTF??! No chance!

Hope I've helped.

Martin.

Food intolerence is very common and worth having a small test through your Doctor, My daughter is intolerant to quite a few things including dairy products which not only rules out milk, cheese, butter etc. She has a long list of those which she can't touch including ham believe it or not because it contains milk. After she found out I had a test but all I was intolerant to was pulses. I do eat them occasionally but with caution. We are never really sure what we eat.

• Like 1

Up early very early tomorrow morning. Pre recovery in Turin, I have to be there for 8 am. My son is taking me as he knows Turin fairly well and he knows where the hospital is.

Looked on internet , it looks impressive. Its the top trauma centre in Italy. There are only 5 neuro surgeons who are capable of doing this new technique.. The hospital has an extremely good reputation. Hopefully I will find out the date of my recovery.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Well here's a 'turn up for the book'. 

I got a call this morning from the Docs, saying that Doc wanted to see me to review results and see how I was!  Oddly, when I last saw her I got the distinct impression she was trying to tell me, very politely and caringly, that I had this itch thing, which is very common, and I really ought to learn to deal with it.  So.. I'm booked in on Thursday morning.

On checking to see what might have provoked this sudden interest in my well being.. I found yet more blood test results on my record...

Most notable.  The result for House Dust Mite antibodies , only slightly raised last month, (Score 854 Normal 34 has shot up to 1490+, compared to a 'normal' level of 34.  I can't see why that would be, but I read that people with such an allergy have less trouble in the Summer because they spend more time outside.  But then again we haven't had a summer yet...

Also raised a lot last time was Immunoglobulin type E ... a marker for allergic response.  That too has risen from its previous high level, to even higher.

Oddly, most of the stated symptoms for House Dust Mite Allergy involve asthma type symptoms.. which I don't have.... just this incessant itch.

Also a few odd results in Iron and Ferritin levels, which I don't quite understand yet.

We shall see.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I'm intolerant of people which is why I've become a recluse!;)

Don't worry.. if you hadn't hid from us, we'd have hid from you....  ;)

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Most notable.  The result for House Dust Mite antibodies

A deep clean of the carpets and soft furnishings coming up?

You'll have to stop wearing sackcloth and ashes DJ.

(Nb. Just had my lounge and hall recarpeted, still recovering from the bill. Oooh feel ill.