Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Been to hospital for appointment for my overactive thyroid. Tablets have done their job apparently but they now don’t want me to go the other way (underactive) so I am going to be weaned off them. Going to take them every other day at first instead of every day, if they are stopped straight away my thyroid might start being naughty again as I have only been on them for 6 months. But it was caught early when it had just started acting up so that is why tablets have worked so quickly.

It makes me wonder if it was stress induced in the first place and now is starting to right itself with the help of the tablets. I have put a bit (about 2/3lbs) of weight on, still underweight for my height but hope to put a bit more weight on now so my clothes fit better (they feel like the clothes my mum used to buy that you would “grow into”).

At least it is heading in the right direction and hopefully by the beginning of next year I should be tablet free.

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

2 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

still underweight for my height

I'm underheight for my weight....:(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Brew said:

I'm underheight for my weight....:(

See quite a lot out and about like that!

• Like 1

Been at the hospital from 6.40 this morning until we got home at 4.30pm.  Paul was having an angioplasty on his part blocked femoral artery, but when they actually put the wire in they found out it was 98% blocked instead of 75% as they had thought at first.  They said he will possibly need a femoral artery bypass (using veins from his leg) as the narrowing/blockage is 25 cm long!   So, a bit of an anticlimax as nothing has actually been done....  

Fortunately, there  are a few minor arteries (B roads the doctor called them) which seem to be providing some blood to his leg and foot but not enough.   He really needs the 'Motorway' artery fixing, so we are now awaiting another hospital appointment.

He has quite a bit of discomfort as the doctor-in-training had to have two stabs into his abdomen to find the artery.   He was off the ward for 2 hours, so I just sat there with my thoughts (forgot my glasses and the iPad)   It's a good job I like my own company!

Anyway, we're home now and he's asleep in the chair.   I might do the same soon!

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your husband s problems Margie and hope you don't have to wait too long for another appointment to get it sorted.

• Like 1

My ongoing saga is mixed up.I'm due oncology visits etc and thought everything was in order but no it isn't. The oncology dept rang the other day to bring my appointment forward , ok I thought, then they rang and my husband answered, I was out. When I got back in he said my appointment was on 2nd July. " No I told him if you remember it's on 1st"  then he mentioned that I had to remember to follow the usual diet. That upset the apple cart as I got confused , I wasn't expecting to have another TAC after the one last week ( for different reasons) I rang the hospital to check everything and the secretary agreed the appointments were correct. But it still wasn't right. I usually have blood test, then wait for confirmation of TAC then see onc. for results. But this time they've got the visit before the scan which to me is the wrong way round. When I explained that I was waiting to go into hospital she said she'd get in touch with the onc. and would get back to me. I don't want to go into hospital thinking about the results, they've been worrying although last time (3 months ago) the shadow had got lighter but still I'd like to know before I go in.

I hope all goes well for nonna and Margie's dearly beloved, it all sound quite confusing.

My brother (56) has pains in his feet and right side of his head. At my insistence he went to the docs who immediately ordered him to hospital for MRI and whatever else they needed to do.

It's a good job there was nothing more serious than a trapped nerve, he and his partner sat there for 19 hours! before they decided to keep him in for observation.

To say he was a little grumpy is something of an understatement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dear me, my best wishes go to all who are confused and struggling!   There seems to be a lot of ill health amongst us at the moment, thinking of you all x

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We just have to be relaxed and patient which isn't as easy as it sounds.

• Upvote 1

A lot of ill health and aches and pains, but we've come to an age whereby it's inevitable, so let's just get on with our lives and quit griping !

Positive thoughts ! 

• Like 1

Yeah, good un RR. Just noticed myself , however, at the time, I didn't expect folk to abuse it.

Thanks for your confidence in me being reasonably fit Cliff Ton, its picked me up no end and proved the wife wrong, she keeps telling me sit down and stop gardening . I have just cancelled an operation for a reversed revision on my right shoulder so I can have my left Kidney removed ( cancer ) on Thursday . When that's over back to the shoulder op, then my GP is going to sort my spine out, already had the MRI on the spine that's how they found the kidney problem, but the main thing is I wake up of a morning smiling and proving the wife wrong.

• Like 2

@trogg.  I love your positive outlook.    Will be thinking of you on Thursday...  I suppose the only way is to confront one problem at a time.  

@FLY2 .... just how is this thread being abused?

• Like 2

Margie, don't over react ! It was a bit of tongue in cheek banter regarding its phenomenal usage !  

I’ll be thinking of you as well Trogg, hope all goes well and you make a quick and full recovery.  Take it you won’t be getting the chips in on Wednesday now? 

• Like 1

Trogg you've certainly got a few things to sort out. I hope that you can get them all sorted so you can get your life on the right track again, it must be so worrying for your wife. I thought this forum was for what it says ( ailments etc). I started giving my experience of ailments in the hope that others might follow. I must say I had a lot of comfort and best wishes from members which really did help to know that others besides my family were "concerned".

Maybe its getting out of hand , as we get older we can expect things to not go how we expect or want. Some are worse than others, such as Trogg, I feel that my problems are so little in comparison, but to me they are worrying. I feel very sorry if Ive monopolised but only filling in posts to that very forum, "Ailments"

You have my greatest admiration for what you're going through and I wish you the very best for Thursday.

• Like 1

NonnaB you have not monopolised this topic , you had problems and you told friends about them, that's what friends are for, keep on posting. I was not going to post my problems but I put them on after another posting, we all deal with things differently.  I tend to keep quiet about things and do things my way , its best for me for others its different , we all should do what we want and not just to please others.

I have told my wife not to worry as if the worse happens she will receive half of my pension, she never replied to that , but I am still in the spare bedroom nursing my injuries . You can see I make a joke of everything, that's my way of coping. Keep on smiling and posting pictures of the food you prepare its great.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I've posted my fair share of moans and gripes in this thread.  It's not only quite cathartic, but it can also draw out (I was going to say 'elicit'.. but that's a bit posh for a Sunday morning..).. err draw out, experiences and advice from others who may have had the same or similar issues.

By the way..did I ever tell you about the trouble I had with my ......?    :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

We all have Col, and that's precisely why I created the topic. Some folks want help or advice, others want to get things off their chests.

Some have good knowledge, and are willing to share it, and a few just want a moan and a gripe. The full spectrum of people's needs and requirements.

The problem is, we're all getting a bit long in the tooth...even young Trogg!  Malfunctions can be expected but comparing notes often helps. To all who are in pain, awaiting ops or worried about their health, may your treatment go smoothly, painlessly and your worries be unfounded. :rolleyes:

• Like 4