Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

I dunno.  I have a completely blocked right ventricular artery in my 'ticker'.  I'm only still here, because there are smaller 'alternate' routes ( called 'collaterals') for blood to get to what remains of my right ventricle.  I was told that the more I excercise and get my heart working (within reason), the more those 'collateral' arteries will develop and the better off I'll be.

I was being considered for surgical intervention, but it was eventually decided the risks outweighed the benefits.  I agree.

Although I recognise it's an anticlimax for Margie and Paul.. I think it also indicates that the 'experts' think his leg is not in immediate danger.

• Upvote 1

I'm presently in the middle of 'tests and referals'.  I'm saying no more at present, because the possible outcomes vary hugely in significance.  Bit scary though.

Sorry to read of your health problems Col, I hope all goes well for you. Also for Paul, and any one else going through  worrying illnesses. Over the last few years I have and still are going through worrying times, and as Lizzie has said we will support you. To come onto NS and be able to talk about our  health problems can be a great help, I know it has been for me at times. Best wishes for a good result for you all.xx

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'm presently in the middle of 'tests and referals'.  I'm saying no more at present, because the possible outcomes vary hugely in significance.  Bit scary though.

must be the High Pavement curse. My right ventricle blocked with fatty tissue, led to the heart attack.  Still here after 12 years, albeit with a "degraded" arterial wall. Medication, decent diet, good coffee and lots of fresh air courtesy of the bike. You often describe some stunning walks round your way, so, stick with it, and good luck.

• Like 2

@oldPhil

Hi Phil and thanks.  I've been here 22 years since my heart attack and 'got away with' two small strokes since. One way I look at it is that my Dad only made 56, so any day over that is a bonus and I'm now rapidly approaching 71.

My present symptoms.. such as they are, could actually be related to my ongoing heart condition.. which, apart from the direct Right Ventricle damage from the MI, seems to be slowly progressing Left Ventricular failure.  Thing is.. I'm sort of resigned to that anyway. As my Mum's Doc famously said when she complained about developing Angina despite her 'healthy' lifestyle.  " Something's got to kill you Joyce!"

On the other hand, there's potentially something serious.. or something very serious going on  and I can only be sensible until I know more.

Still.. 'Hey Ho' as they say..  All part of life's rich tapestry.. :)

• Like 1

Wouldn't touch a flu shot with a ten foot pole.  They can stick it where the sun don't  shine.   Everybody I knew who had one got sicker than a dog.  I was offered one today when I called in to renew a prescription.  It was a robot so I was not polite to it.:biggrin:  Hope it's chips get fried.!

• Like 2

Had my flu jab today, arm’s a bit sore.  I’ve accepted everything the NHS offers and never had any ill-effects from the flu jab.  My bestest oldest schoolfriend, who I’ve known for 58 years, passed away last week.  She never had any NHS screenings that were offered.  Im not saying any of them would have saved her life but cannot understand why anyone would refuse something that can prevent serious illness. 

• Like 2

Had my annual blood test for thyroid screen yesterday at 8am.  The phlebotomist looked around 12 years old! I'm needlephobic, so I was expecting problems with such youth and lack of experience. Never felt a thing! Totally painless. I congratulated the 12 year old on her skill and skipped off. Not even a bruise this morning.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

It was a robot so I was not polite to it.:biggrin:  Hope it's chips get fried.!

Robots?! I know the NHS is short of staff but I hope they aren't going to start letting robots do injections. Our surgery has a touch screen for patients to sign in. It's never working. There is also a large flat screen tv which runs health-related videos on a loop, punctuated by doorbell sound effects and "Fred Bloggs to Dr Crippen in the cellar" announcements. That was broken yesterday, too! :wacko:

I had a blood test about 3 weeks ago for my overactive thyroid. They only tested TSH, the reading had gone down quite a bit it was only 0.02 over the range, the hospital seemed happy with this but I wasn’t, it is hardly in range and I had been feeling a “bit off” again. Managed to persuade them to do another test to include TS3 and TS4, readings dont really make any sense unless you have these as well to see what is going on.

Went for blood test with doctor (didn’t hurt this time, last time I had a bruise that went almost round my arm and it hurt like a b***h goodness knows what he had done) and I ended up having shingles injection as well. Wasn’t sure about it but it was done before I could say anything, I do like to look at side effects before having anything but on checking when I got back they are minor and I was okay anyway. No bruise from blood test as well, must have caught him on a good day. On the way out one of the receptionists caught me and told me she could do blood tests and ask for her next time. Is this usual here, it was always the nurse that did it at my last doctors?

Anyway got the results, TSH had gone up and all others were in range although a bit odd so still having tablets every other day. I am wondering if there is anything else going on, pituitary gland was flagged up on last paperwork I got on a blood test although I don’t have any physical symptoms, so it could just be my body is confused (must say I am too) with my thyroid doing its own thing.

Getting older is such an inconvenience but retirement isn’t bad at all.

TSH only is considerably cheaper than a full screen but you're correct SG the  whole lot is needed to make sense of it. Your initial TSH result is the same as mine last September. It was considered low but acceptable. Logically, it should be zero if the thyroid or replacement medication is doing its job. Little bu**ers thyroid glands!

6 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Robots?! I know the NHS is short of staff but I hope they aren't going to start letting robots do injections. Our surgery has a touch screen for patients to sign in. It's never working. There is also a large flat screen tv which runs health-related videos on a loop, punctuated by doorbell sound effects and "Fred Bloggs to Dr Crippen in the cellar" announcements. That was broken yesterday, too! :wacko:

I don't think it's quite reached that stage yet, Jill.

This was a robot that answered the phone in the pharmacy.

I understand they now have robots doing some forms of surgery.  When I see the way my computer can mess up I don't have much confidence in that.

• Like 1