Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

Hooray!!!       I do hope that's not premature but I've finally got an appointment for November 18th. at the QMC. for an injection under X Ray towards the base of my spine.I am advised this will relieve the symptoms in my left leg only. Any other relief appears to be a bonus!
A friend of mine had a 'cortisone' injection some 20 years ago, he's now 84 and runs twice a week, 2 weeks ago he did a PB on a 'park run'  of about 3 miles in a time of 37.22 minutes  I'll be happy if I can walk to Bulwell Market in that time!
Has anyone else had this or similar treatment with what results Please?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Yes ALbert I've had two cortisone injections years ago. One in my shoulder and the other in my elbow. The shoulder one I didn't feel it at all but the elbow one was different . The pain went down to my finger tips but the pain was worth it afterwards because my elbow felt like new. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I had a cortisone injection into my right knee, on the same day that the consultant told me I needed a new knee, but was unlikely to get one because my cardiac health would likely preclude surgery.  It was a painful procedure and the beneficial effects lasted for about 24 hours.  Not worth the hassle.. in my case.

Not so much ailments.  I have recently resurrected my diet.

Basically a 16:8. all eating done in 8 hours and 'fasting' for the rest. This works out for me as I rarely eat an 'early' breakfast. So I have lunch around 1:00pm and an evening meal anytime between 7 and 9 pm. I try to keep lunch at or below 300cals. I also try to keep 'white carbs' to a minimum.. and only consumed with one or other meal. I've also reduced the booze quite a bit.

Exercise. I like to alternate weights, walking and swimming on consecutive days. Unfortunately swimming is out at present as two local pools are out of action. I enjoy a good walk or a swim when I'm in the mood. The trick is to keep on doing it when are not in the mood. ...

I've lost 1st 1lb since Sept 10th and the trend is still downward.  :)

• Like 1

I always heard we should note eat late.  Digestion affecting sleep and all that.

I've lost twenty pounds since my stroke.  Mrs Loppy is always fussing at me to eat more, but I'm just not hungry.  Lower weight should be good for  bp anyway.  Gotta buy some new pants.  Gone from a 38 to a 36.  Still at around 160 pounds. Not bad for my height and age.  Doc isn't fussing about it so its ok with me.

• Like 5

For me it's the carbs.  I keep those low and replace with non starchy veg like cauli.  I try to keep fat below an average 50 gm daily.  I believe the daily recommendation for men is 70gm.   A decent slice of Pork Pie will give more..

Mmmm.. Pork Pie.... Haven't had any for months.... :(

After some recent issues, I had an abdominal ultrasound.  It came back as OK. Liver, and all the other internal bits, in place and functioning OK.  Which was nice.

However..  Ultrasound can only see so much.. and some continuing symptoms.  So I'm now down for an 'urgent' appointment with Gastro-enterology as my Doc is keen to 'eliminate' certain 'sinister' possibilities. Hopefully turn out to just be precautionary stuff.

Saw Doc Weds and had call from GE yesterday for appointment on 5th.  They aren't messing about...

Finger's crossed.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure we all wish you well Col, just don't let your natural tendency to worry get top side of you..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I second the previous posts, Col.  Don't let stress get to you.  That is one of my weaknesses, and may have been a factor in my stroke.  It definitely effects my blood pressure.  Keep smiling anyway.  Glad the test results were good.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Just to clarify that the latest referal was my Doc's idea and I think they are being a bit overenthusiastic.. but may as well see what transpires.

Has anyone had or been offered a shingles vaccination,  my doctors phoned on Friday

to ask if I wanted one. I said I would get back to them don't really know what to do.   

I had shingles in December 2010. Never felt pain like it although the rash was fairly mild. I pity those who get it on their face or scalp. Mine was on my left hip. Couldn't bear to wear anything that touched the area for 2 weeks and that went for bedclothes too!  Couldn't get a GP appointment and since there was a flu epidemic on at the time, NHS Direct, or whatever it was called, was running a pre recorded message basically telling those who had other problems to go away!

I self medicated on the strongest over the counter pain killers friends could find which they posted through the letterbox. They had never had chicken pox and I didn't want them to contract it from me!

The vaccination, I understand, is offered to those aged 70 plus. I'm too young. I understand it can recur but rarely. I would certainly never want to experience it again!

I had a shingles jab same time as my flu jab a couple of weeks ago. I'm all for it and really can't understand the assorted conspiracy theorists who claim some Govt. plot.

I had shingles around 2002..ish.  I think I got off lightly.  I felt a bit vaguely out of sorts for a few days and then one afternoon in work I noticed a rash around my right side.  Reddish rash with blistery lttle spots.  My female boss was pregnant at the time and basically ordered me to go off sick.  I called in at the Doc's who confirmed Shingles and gave me a course of Aciclovir.  Thing is.. I never had much pain with it.

Still.. where there's no sense....

Because of health issues, I have the flu vaccine every year. I also  had the Pneumonia vaccine in 2006 and the Shingles vaccine 13.11 18. I am pleased to say no reactions to any of them, not even a teeny weeny sore arm afterwards. I just hope they work?:)

I went to the doctor for a blood test for my thyroid medication 2 about months ago and saw the shingles vaccine flash up on the screen. I do normally like to check for side effects etc before I commit to anything like this, but decided to go ahead with it even though it meant a needle in each arm. When I went for my next blood test I ended up getting my flu jab at the same time. Started to feel a bit like a pin cushion.

There were no side effects, although my arm was a bit sore after my flu jab. 

I’d like a Shingles jab, my husband has had Shingles twice and since had the vaccination, my son has had it too a few years ago but I don’t know if he’s been offered the jab.  

I’ve never been invited to have the Flu jab at the GP surgery but have had one the past two years at our local pharmacy.   

Shingles is the left over chicken pox virus that lays dormant. I had chicken pox when I was 22yrs old, but no signs of shingles, hopefully I don't have the virus in me, or my immune system is strong enough to keep it in check.

I was told that once you've had chicken pox, the virus remains within the cerebro- spinal fluid for the rest of your life but may never cause any problems.  I had chicken pox at 6 months. Caught it from my generous older sister!  Shingles erupted at the end of a very stressful period of my life and my immune system was probably at a low ebb. I hope it never recurs!

Sometimes there is a rash with no pain and sometimes there is pain with no rash. The pain didn't kick in for a few days but when it did, it was akin to being stabbed repeatedly with a red hot dagger. Absolutely horrendous.  I occasionally still experience a strange sensation where the rash appeared. It feels rather like sitting in a holly bush. This is the result of nerve damage. I'm told severe cases can destroy nerve endings and leave the affected areas totally numb!