Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve never been invited to have the Flu jab at the GP surgery but have had one the past two years at our local pharmacy.   

I've just had my 4th yearly Jab.

All as a result of a letter from my G.P. Surgery.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Chicken pox can be very stressful if it goes the wrong way, one night my friend called 999 her daughter was unwell, a few days before the doctor had said that she had chicken pox, advice keep her warm, plenty to drink and wait for all the spot's to come, instead of the spots coming out on her skin the erupted and went inside her body, it was touch and go for Larna her little girl, has due to the virus her body was shutting down, after 2 weeks in hospital she was fine, but what a scare her mum had.

• 2 weeks later...

I had noticed over the past couple of weeks I was getting a bit wheezy but as my sinuses were playing up and dumping gunk down my throat (sorry to be explicit:wacko:) I presumed that was the cause of it as well as my slight cough. However last nite I woke up struggling to breath, bit frightening when you are on your own, and then had a fit of coughing. I ended up going down stairs and spent the rest of the night on my recliner which seemed to help. 
Managed to get an appointment with my doctor this morning and took a very slow walk there, felt as if I wasn’t getting enough air somehow and had to sit down on a bench halfway there to get my breath back. It was no surprise to be told I had a chest infection and I have got a weeks supply of tablets that would cure an elephant. Also the “you have stopped smoking” talk. (As a matter of interest I can’t remember having many chest infections when I smoked, but perhaps rose tinted glasses are in play!)
Even slower walk back (but it is uphill), my road seemed to stretch for miles before I got home. Now curled up on settee with a blanket, feeling sorry for myself, eyeing the box of walnut whips I treated myself to. A girl has to have some pleasures!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hope you're feeling better soon, SG. Chest infections are no fun. I had what turned into pleurisy a few years ago. It was December, couldn't get a GP appointment so just ploughed through it and continued to go to work. A colleague also picked up similar chest infection which turned to pneumonia. She had 6 weeks off. I covered her job as well as mine. Felt lousy. When I lay in bed at night, I could feel fluid moving in the area of my heart, worried me a bit but I ploughed on.

Had the cough for a year before it finally went. Changed my GP too.

Take care and get plenty of rest.

As my mum used to say...Do as I say, not as I do! :blink:

Thanks for all the good wishes, hope the tablets work quickly as we are supposed to be exploring Bramcote Park with my boys over the weekend. Certainly could not do a walk at the moment.
I had a little nap this evening, woke up and realised I hadn’t had my tablet and Wolf hadn’t had his either. Went into kitchen got tablets out, got my water and then realised I was just about to take Wolf's tablet. Good job it is bright pink and round, mine are dark green capsules. Much to his disgust I swapped them over and he had crunchy wafer thin ham again. 

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon SG!!

Loppy,  that's a great 'in joke'.  :)

Just an update.  I've had assorted appointments at Gastroenterology coming out of my ears. including two for the same place, same consultant, same day, 40 minutes apart..  It all seems to be down to the fact  that one Doc referred me to GE, and then another Doc referred me to GE but 'urgently'.. So I've got 'follow up' appointments booked  to happen before there's anything to follow up.. etc.

So, today I cancelled them all except next week's, which is for a 'virtual' colonoscopy...  That seems to be an MRI scan of the inside bits. which is rather better than the indignity of a camera intruding 'where the Sun don't shine'.. as they say... :wacko:

However.. a thoughtful delivery of several medications through the post today.. reminded me that while the imaging process is a little more dignified.. the necessary preparations aren't... :Shock:

Still... keeps me off the streets....

Was it 2 GPs who referred you to GE?   If your notes are electronically stored, how can this happen?  We've signed up for something called 'systmonline' which allows any GP or hospital to access  our notes.   It's also good for ordering repeat prescriptions and making appointments... when doing the latter we get a list of available doctors and times and just tick the one we want.   We still have to wait a few days/weeks though if it's not an urgent appointment!  We can also view our test results online... I think it's really good.

Hope  your virtual colonoscopy will provide some useful information.   

13 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I don't have a smartphone. It can be accessed via any device.

The web site only has Android and Apple apps...?

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

The web site only has Android and Apple apps...?

We access it through iPad AND laptop.  We were originally asked by our surgery if we wanted to join systmonline and had to fill in and sign a sheet to say we were happy for our medical records to be available to any medical practitioner.

It  really is so much easier than having to phone up the surgery.  The only negative is that you can't make an appointment just to see a nurse - still have to phone up for that.....

5 hours ago, MargieH said:

Was it 2 GPs who referred you to GE?   If your notes are electronically stored, how can this happen?  We've signed up for something called 'systmonline' which allows any GP or hospital to access  our notes.   It's also good for ordering repeat prescriptions and making appointments... when doing the latter we get a list of available doctors and times and just tick the one we want.   We still have to wait a few days/weeks though if it's not an urgent appointment!  We can also view our test results online... I think it's really good.

Hope  your virtual colonoscopy will provide some useful information.   

I use a web based system called 'Patient Access'  It allows me to book appointments with GPs/Nurses etc.. to request Repeat Prescriptions, to inspect Test Results and my Medical Record etc, plus access to a lot of other info. I can of course access the web via my phone.

However.. that system does not extend into hospital out patient appointments etc.  Also. the national appointments management system also failed yesterday when I tried to cancel an appointment online.  When I finally spoke to a very helpful lady at the local hospital she also told me that the SMS based system of appointment reminders was a bit flakey too.. as I had long suspected.

All above said.. the main issue seems to be that one Doc originally referred me, but has offered no follow up.. whereas the second Doc called me in for follow up on an other issue and then decided to refer me for urgent investigations on the 'digestive' issue.  Crossed wires I think, but the main thing is I'm getting sorted.

6 minutes ago, MargieH said:

The only negative is that you can't make an appointment just to see a nurse - still have to phone up for that.....

Don't give up hope, Margie. My practice and a few others are now making appointments with the practice nurse and other staff bookable online. This doesn't yet extend to blood tests but may do so one day.

• Upvote 1

I have several options for blood tests.  The local surgery will do them but it usually involves a wait.  The local 'Walk In'  Centre does them between 07:30 and 09:00 a.m .. mostly for people who are working.  It's only 10 minutes away by car and if I turn up at around 08:30 there's virtually no wait.  And finally, St Helens Hospital is slightly further.. maybe 15 minutes by car, but they do 'bloods' all day from 09:00 to 5:00 pm and the wait, though a bit variable.. is usually no more than a few minutes.